• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Nuzzy's The Apocalypse is Upon Us CJ Build...

MarcW said:
so, were are the update pics of the CJ, knowing sam, the thing is damn near done by now :flipoff:

Waiting for spring plates and such to come in :mad: Then we can start fitting the axles and get measurements for the Ubolts. I'll hopefully snap some more pics this weekend :D

Just got off the phone with these guys... http://www.gotpropane.com/

$875 for the Jeep 258 kit and I'll be able to run at any angle at any elevation :D:D:D

The guy I talked to was awesome. Super nice and very helpful. His kits include everything neccessary so I don't have to go out and source anything wondering if I'm choosing things incorrectly. I wont have vacuum lines or all that other bullsh!t :clappy: And they install in a few hours :clappy::clappy::clappy:

I had thought about running propane a while back after talking with Bunk, but hadn't ever really looked into it. I figured it would be a pretty extensive undertaking. I was wrong. I fawkin stoked :gunsmilie: I'll have to wait for another few paychecks since this will probably be last on my build, but I'm giddy already...

Here's a blurb from his website:

"[FONT=arial,helvetica]Propane is a by-product of the refining process of natural gas and crude oil. About 3% of a barrel of oil becomes propane. Propane boils at -44 degrees Fahrenheit; when it is vaporized, it becomes a gas again. Because it vaporizes at such a low temperature, it mixes easily with air. Therefore, it doesn't require a high temperature (over 400 degrees Fahrenheit for gasoline) for it to atomize. This improves cold starts, emissions, and driveability. Propane is a stable fuel; it doesn't go bad if you don't use it!

Since propane has such a low carbon content, motor oil never gets dirty which increases engine life. The oil does still need to be changed, though not as often. Spark plug life is dramatically extended. Also, you cannot "flood" a propane engine. When a gasoline engine "floods," raw fuel enters the cylinders, washing past the rings and into the oil, also wetting the plugs. Propane carburetion automatically compensates for altitude changes, saving carb re-jetting and computer re-learn.

Since propane is under pressure, there are no fuel pumps, no float bowl, or needle and seat. Another plus is the high octane rating of propane between 100 and 110. This means that if you are turbocharging or supercharging, it is the ideal fuel.
The propane system is sealed to the elements so that even complete submersion will not allow water into the fuel system.

Propane is available throughout the world.It is all the same fuel and the fittings are standardized. Your local propane dealer will usually cut you a break when buying motorfuel.
Propane:

[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica]
    [*]Will not go bad
    [*]Burns clean
    [*]Requires no maintenance
    [*]Is easy to install
    [*]Is very safe
    [*]Rates at 100-110 octane
    [*]Automatically compensates for altitude
    [*]Prolongs engine life
    [*]Is affordable
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica]
    [*]No wiring except the on/off solenoid.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica]
    [*]Propane is not harmful to soil or water
    [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]This is the most reliable fuel system on the market, and all of our kits are made in the good ole U.S.A.!"[/FONT]

gonna up the compression? ya should with the increased octane rating. :D more power to turn them 42's.

Propane:
  • Is not as easy to get as gasoline...
    • Not as many locations
    • No self service
    • Most locations not open late or 24 hours
    • Will not be found in the jerry cans on your buddy's rig in case you run out
    • Cannot be robbed from your tow rig when you run out
    • Cannot be transfered on the trail (that I know of)
  • Cannot be stored in an odd shaped tank, making tank placement a possible issue

That's the only thing holding me back :;

Last edited:
CrustyJeep said:
Propane:
  • Is not as easy to get as gasoline...
    • Not as many locations
    • No self service
    • Most locations not open late or 24 hours

That's the only thing holding me back :;

I have all the same concerns.

But I do like propane at $1.80 a gallon :D

It will definitely take planning ahead for trips and such... Making sure I have enough 'pane. I'll give ya a full report on my findings after I've run it for a few months :cool::cool::cool:

CrustyJeep said:
Propane:
    • Will not be found in the jerry cans on your buddy's rig in case you run out
    • Cannot be robbed from your tow rig when you run out
True about jerry cans, but the guy I talked with said he sells a fitting that'll make any BBQ tank work and Home Depot sells a 1.5 gallon little guy with that fitting so i can carry my own backup

My tow rig's a diesel... prob shouldn't throw that in a gas engine anyways:flipoff::haha::D

But yes, as I said, I have all the same concerns. I'm just gonna run it and find out how it goes :redneck:

Nuzzy, since your tow rig is a diesel? Put a 500 pound tank on it to feed the diesel few hundred extra pounds-feet of torque when necessary then you can make fittings to have your own filling station at camp? Hell you could run your BBQ, Lantern and heaters off of it too? :D

SysWillys said:
Nuzzy, since your tow rig is a diesel? Put a 500 pound tank on it to feed the diesel few hundred extra pounds-feet of torque when necessary then you can make fittings to have your own filling station at camp? Hell you could run your BBQ, Lantern and heaters off of it too? :D

You have given me a new long term goal :clappy:

I have toyed with the idea of propane assist on my truck. Hadn't planned on doing it for a while though... But it would be pretty sweet to have a tank in the bed for the assist that doubled as my own filling station for those long wheelin vacations :super:

Hmmmmmmm... :D

CrustyJeep said:
Can you gravity fill propane tanks?? The more I think about it, the more I think why not? But how?

Yes, we re-fill the little lantern sized ones out of a BBQ sized one all the time. The don't get quite as full as new ones, but better than 2/3rds.

Ive seen tons of pane powered rigs. they go ballzs out all day on 1 1/2 tank max. And they are v-8's. Give mr 6 a break.

Its all part of the light weight, no fuel pick up prob, high octane, simple install/running issue that pane gives you. Bump the compression and yer luvin it.

SysWillys said:

Yeah, this sounds like a great idea...
And you gota love how cheap it is.
One thing. Please take lots of pics (and explain along the way) of your propane swap. I've also checked out some "propane conversion" websites but would rather hear from someone not trying to sell the stuff. And i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one interested in this type of conversion...
Glad to hear things are moving along for ya...

CrustyJeep said:
Can you gravity fill propane tanks?? The more I think about it, the more I think why not? But how?
It's not so much gravity as it is vapor or liquid. If you're gonna fill a tank you want liquid going in, not vapor. This requires turning a normal tank upside down. You also have to release pressure from the receiving tank to get them full, new tanks have a second valve for this purpose.

Got more presents today :clappy::clappy::clappy:

Dana 300 clocking ring with all the hardware and extended seal

img0761mediumeq8.jpg

4 Rock Crawler Series 97 black steelies 16x10 with 4" backspacing

img0763mediumdg3.jpg

img0766mediumvo9.jpg

I loved this when I saw it on the box :haha::haha::haha:

img0774mediumxt6.jpg

Still waitin on my hydro stuff, spring plates, heims, disc brake brackets... :mad:

crash said:
Getting all those cool things really brings the kid out doesn't it eric :;

I think I believe in magic and Santa again :D:D:D

Ask weif... I've been bouncing all over the place :redneck: