• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

NV273 Tcase

I'd rather not swap the case because then I'd have to deal with the computer crying about not getting feedback. I have found a mod I'm going to try that should allow me to install a shifter on the 273.

I never have but when you pull the encoder motor you still have a nub that can be turned with an open end wrench.

I would think it's as easy as drilling and tapping the nub to build your own linkage.

gottagofast said:
Swapping the case won't affect the computer any differently than modding the case

So what does the harness plug in to? The pics of used cases I've seen haven't shown an obvious plug, I may have just missed it though.

Edit: 271 has a small 2 pin switch, 273 has a 6-7 pin switch with a larger connector

LightBnDr said:
I never have but when you pull the encoder motor you still have a nub that can be turned with an open end wrench.

I would think it's as easy as drilling and tapping the nub to build your own linkage.

I read about a converted case where the guy gutted most of the motor and added a lever to hook a cable shifter to. This allowed manual shifting but also kept the computer happy because the position switches still worked.

why dont you just put a 271 in, pay the 40$ and get dodge to flash your computer into thinkig it was a floor shift model

Gotcha... yeah I was thinking ford.... no clue what comp issues you might have w a dodge....

The 6pin connector on my 273 has been unplugged for almost a year, no issues other than no 4wd and "Serv 4WD" light on. Broke the harness side plug swapping the trans, haven't yet been able to find a replacement.

hhc said:
why dont you just put a 271 in, pay the 40$ and get dodge to flash your computer into thinkig it was a floor shift model

I missed this post - this may be a stupid question but is that possible? I have no idea of the potential "mods" that can be accomplished with a scan tool, it would be fantastic if you could reprogram the truck to think it's a manual shift.

Right now my 273 is unplugged to keep it from acting up, like 99jpxj my Serv 4wd light stays on (and dings at every start up). A couple of times the computer has tried to act up (randomly engaging the tcase actuator), when it does the regular 4wd light flashes and the Serv 4wd light goes on and off dinging like crazy. Being able to re flash it to think its a 271 would be perfect.

I don't know first hand with Dodge but my best guess is that you will need a VIN number for a truck with all the same computer options as yours except for the transfer case..
Hopefully I'm wrong and the technician can just go through a bunch of checklists just set up your computer...

you may need to find a vin but when we swapped buddys to manual we just got it flashed and they basically told the computer to stop looking for the trans i see no reason they couldnt do the same with the t case. your 06 is auto im guessing? i have a 04.5 6 speed id share the vin with you but i dont think it would help being standard

hhc said:
you may need to find a vin but when we swapped buddys to manual we just got it flashed and they basically told the computer to stop looking for the trans i see no reason they couldnt do the same with the t case. your 06 is auto im guessing? i have a 04.5 6 speed id share the vin with you but i dont think it would help being standard

That's great news hhc, mine is a 5.9 / 6 spd also. Is the flash something any shop with a good scan tool can do or is it a proprietary dealer only thing?

a good diesel shop (like one that builds there own tunes) should be able too. i live in no where so we got dodge to swap buddys for the trans