• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

NV4500 class 101

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
So school me on the NV4500's. I saw the one in the classifieds and it has me thinking again.... I have a SB 350 to a 700r4 with a tail adapter to get the np203/205 to bolt up to it. I would love to maybe swap in a NV4500 but dont know where to start and REALLY want to know some lengths to see if it would change my drivetrain a lot or not so much...:corn:

I know of JB Conversions. But any other companys or websites with specs and spline counts, etc. ???:corn:

They typically came in four flavors, Dodge & Chevy, 2wd & 4wd.

I believe there are only two input shafts, one for GM one for Dodge but there are various bearing/input shaft assemblies depending on if the tranny came from a Diesel, or gas V8 or V10.

Advanced Adapters is another place to find a lot of info.

I have a 700r4 in my junk and had a nv4500 setting in my garage........ I eventually sold the nv so the temptation wouldn't be there anymore. the kind of trails i do are a real PITA with 3 pedals and only 2 feet. Jobless (Jackazz) knows our trails and did very well on them but still struggled on a couple of climbs that a couple of guys with autos were able to make.

Also an auto is much easier on the drivetrain cos of the torque converter.

http://www.nv4500.com/

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/nv4500.htm

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv4500.htm

Google is your friend

Pretty much narrows down to preference. I feel I can be smoother and easier on the equipment with a auto.

Ya, the odds are kinda stacked against the NV right now, I have the truck already setup for the 700r4 now. And ya, I like the fact it is a little easier on junk. Because I would have to spend double what i spent now, plus adjusting the crossmembers and on and on...:mad:

But I still want to know more about these things.:corn:

The only time I wish I had an auto was at Moab...to much shifting with the
varied terrain on longer trails...my clutch pedal leg was tired :eeek:

With the crawl ratio I have with the NV4500 I can actually climb better than some buggies I've wheeled with. rather than crawl they (auto's) have to stand back and punt :redneck:

In the grand scheme of things, for a trail rig a stick is simpler and more reliable than an Auto.

The only time I wish I had an auto was at Moab...to much shifting with the
varied terrain on longer trails...my clutch pedal leg was tired :eeek:

With the crawl ratio I have with the NV4500 I can actually climb better than some buggies I've wheeled with. rather than crawl they (auto's) have to stand back and punt :redneck:

In the grand scheme of things, for a trail rig a stick is simpler and more reliable than an Auto.

So now is where i tell you i've had an easier time on hills with an auto and crawling up them than my friends with manuals... :fawkdancesmiley: :haha:

But ya, you can't beat the reliability of a manual most of the time.:awesomework:

EDIT: so i know that the early models with the granny low, are they just a 4 speed with a compound low then? and the newer ones are more of a normal 5 speed? as in not a low first gear?

Thata boy :awesomework:

I will say that snow wheeling (the way I like to do it) is hard on my auto. Good thing I don't have gauges to check the temp.:redneck:

All my old Jeep buddies swear by them. They will not be convinced otherwise......and they shouldn't have to be.

Put the NV in Boonie.......then you tell us how to take it out, in 3 months.:flipoff:

I will say that snow wheeling (the way I like to do it) is hard on my auto. Good thing I don't have gauges to check the temp.:redneck:

All my old Jeep buddies swear by them. They will not be convinced otherwise......and they shouldn't have to be.

Put the NV in Boonie.......then you tell us how to take it out, in 3 months.:flipoff:

I'd prolly be taking it out because I got bored one day...:redneck: :haha:

I don't think I can give up my auto...:cool:

What tranny you running? Oh, and what transmission is in the buggy?

TH400 build by S&N Fabs tranny guy. Cooler is the "proper" size.......not sure of brand. Works all the time, every time.:awesomework:

PM me what it cost to have it built and what was done to it, if you don't mind... (I wanna see how it stacks up to my "build" :redneck: ) The guy I have do my transmission stuff is more of a street rod guy, not that it's a bad thing, but there is a different mentality there compared to 4x4's... That I think S&N might have a different grasp on...

Last edited:
EDIT: so i know that the early models with the granny low, are they just a 4 speed with a compound low then? and the newer ones are more of a normal 5 speed? as in not a low first gear?

The Dodge tranny's are 5.61:1 1st gear...the GM's were in the 6's:1

5th gear is overdrive about 0.75:1 I think.

1993-1994 GM NV4500s had the 6.34:1 1st gear. The 1995 GM NV4500 had a 5.61:1 1st gear. All of these also used a unique bellhousing bolt pattern and index, which may be one of the reasons that the one for sale in the Swap Meet forum won't work with a Cummins engine. Another would be that as far as I know there is not a Dodge style, Cummins compatible input shaft available for the 6.34:1 1st gear NV4500s. These used different internal parts than the 5.61:1 1st gear versions.

In 1996 GM switched to the same style bellhousing bolt pattern and index as Dodge.

The Dodge NV4500s all used the same case and bellhousing bolt patterns and index. All had the 5.61:1 1st gear. The only differences were the input shaft sizes and number of splines on the output shafts used in the standard duty and heavy duty versions.

The top cover/shifter also changed in the 1996 GM NV4500s and Dodge switch to the newer style in 1998.

fly-n-loin has an nv4500 on his shop floor with and adapter to a BBF and adapter to a 205, he got on a trade for something pm him:awesomework:

I have a NV 4500 on my floor - it was in my CJ in several configurations behind a AMC V8 both a 304 and a 401 and lastly behind my Ford stroker 545. Also had a built Dana 300 and a Atlas behind it.
I'm also one of those bad ass Kelowna Snow boys - who almost all run sticks - actually only one guy runs an auto in our group. Once he had his Th400 built properly with a manual valve body he has never had trouble or heat issues.
I pulled the NV and I'm going C6 behind the 545 cause I hate frozen clutches and they also pack with mud and get stuck at times.
I'll say I love wheeling a stick - once you know how to drive one there is no issues with hills but yes as always an auto is "easer" to drive - be a man get a stick.
I kept my TJ stick for this reason - but wanted to try the auto route in the snow as we lose a lot of speed during shifts when we are really rippin.
One downside to the NV - its huge and heavy - 200lbs heavy without a bellhousing and the clutch. Also the output shaft is high on the back of the case. In a short wheelbase rig with a big lift this makes your rear drive shaft angles more pronounced. When I first went NV 4500 in my CJ - I needed a high pinion rear axle to really make it work right. In my big rig I had to go with a BAMF high angle shaft as I kept blowing out 1350 shafts.
But the Nv sood up to everything even the 630hp big block.
Al V

Latest posts