• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Frenchie winching basics 101

BUG-E J

Don't get #labroned
I dont run a winch on my buggy but have had some over the years. We have all cussed them, hit them, destroyed hands, and bled for them. After running a rope i dont want anybody hooking to me with a cable unless its the last option. I know spectators are a problem. When i rolled on boatramp enzo was directing the winch pulling my buggy back over. We were being loud and not helping so i yelled at everybody to stfu untill he got done. But now with the safety talk how about some winching related stuff

For me 95% of my winch usage has been because of mud, so it's pretty straight forward. I haven't used them much of any in the rock, must of the time a foot forward or backward is all you need to get moving again.

For me most of the time when I have seen problems is when more than one person is giving directions. Get one experienced person in charge and everyone else shut up....same goes for spotting. Too many chiefs is a problem.

Rope is all I use too! We also have bought the "soft shackles" instead of metal ones.

Since I roll/ flop a lot. Biggest thing with me is who is winching my truck and who is near, yea I'm same way, to many people wanta say do this or that.

That's where I usually just take charge and then make sure buggy is in gear.

Seen a few rolled over then start rolling back over.

I rolled a guy back on all fours Saturday and there was a group of rzrs there that were helpful getting hooked up but when it came time to start pulling I only listened to him. His jeep was doing it his way. Only thing i did was run the cable and snatch block to the tree he pointed at and followed his hand signs.

For those running ropes have you ever changed a winch over from cable to rope? If so what did you have to do besides fairlead?

I switched mine over from cable to rope. All looked everything over really well to make sure there wasn't any burs or anything for the cable to snag on and changed the fairlead. That's it.

I've always attached to the drum via the small bolt, then I used duck tape and taped the rope across the drum, then started spooling it on.
Yes use a aluminum fairlead.
Also make sure you have 10-15ft sleeve over end so as you pull over rocks or whatever it's doesnt chaf

Another thing to make sure of when swapping from cable to rope is the rope needs a heat shield on the drum end the brake is in a different place on factory roped winch from what I've read.

Re: Re: Frenchie winching basics 101

ForMud said:
For me 95% of my winch usage has been because of mud, so it's pretty straight forward. I haven't used them much of any in the rock, must of the time a foot forward or backward is all you need to get moving again.
I might get flamed for this, but if you are wheeling mostly mud, keep the cable. Mud will kill rope in a heartbeat. Get yourself a winch blanket though to use.

al1tonyota said:
Another thing to make sure of when swapping from cable to rope is the rope needs a heat shield on the drum end the brake is in a different place on factory roped winch from what I€™ve read.

The drum shouldn't get hot enough tried damage the rope.

And maybe some fancy winch has the brake somewhere else, but I've never heard or seen a difference in a winch that came with rope or cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBItoy said:
The drum shouldn't get hot enough tried damage the rope.

And maybe some fancy winch has the brake somewhere else, but I've never heard or seen a difference in a winch that came with rope or cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Source for what it's worth...https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/3-hidden-dangers-in-switching-your-winch-to-synthetic-rope/

tonybolton said:
I never realized there was this much drama and just winching. Hmmmm....
[/quote
When you just over everything and make it look easy you don't have to worry about winching drama!
But for us low life's it's pretty much an everyday occurrence...

tonybolton said:

I've seen someone lose a few fingers winching.
I've also seen cars coming rolling down the hill after being put back up straight after a rollover.
I've seen winch cables break and hurt people.

And a few more accidents.

Sadly moving a few thousand pounds isn't that anodine of an act as it seems and should be taken seriously. At least that's my opinion.

Important bit:

Get one guy directing and other helping. Decide who is doing what and when a decision is made, stfu and follow what he says. Usually the owner of the vehicle is the one directing.
Get rid of the cable if you can. If you can't buy a rope, at least check the cable periodically for fraying and wash it after it touched mud. Use a weighted cable vlanket.

tonybolton said:

Not all of us do bypass trails at windrock. Or just drive over everything like our last name is Cameron-Bolton....

Best rope for the money for those that have switched?

Re: Re: Frenchie winching basics 101

jeeptj99 said:
Not all of us do bypass trails at windrock. Or just drive over everything like our last name is Cameron-Bolton....

Best rope for the money for those that have switched?
I jus grabbed some $100 rope off Ebay that had high reviews.

Seems to work and it is thicker than the one I was using for a couple or so years.