• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Frenchie winching basics 101

Bebop said:
I've seen north of 15g's spent on winches in a car.
$1000 doesn't seem to bad after that ;D

Must be one of those 24 volt / dual motor comp winches where they give you whiplash on the initial button push.

tonybolton said:
Must be one of those 24 volt / dual motor comp winches where they give you whiplash on the initial button push.

More like 3 of those but yeah ;D

dwa2469 said:
I have a Smittybilt XRC 9500 w/synthetic rope. I have only had to use it a couple times, and seems to do a good job. I cant imagine spending 3 times (or more) what I did for a winch.

Same here.

Something to note that I haven't noticed is spooling fresh rope under load when switching from steel cable to rope, or changing out the rope.

I noticed a big difference when I spooled one rope under load, and the other just wound up with no load. The loaded winch never allowed the line to squeeze into the rope and become difficult to freespool. As well as when I hooked up and pulled, it pulled. It didn't take 6-7 turns before it started winching, and then end up all bound up inside itself and lines squeezed under each other. The unloaded rope was a bitch.

I have a Warn on my CJ, and a Smittybuilt on my Dodge. That Smitty hauls ass compared to the Warn. Pulled my CJ on flat ground so fast that I had to stop the jeep from rolling uphill into the Dodge it was moving so fast.

I also use a Perko HD Switch Perko HD Switch Rated at 380 amps continuous, and 850 intermittent. That's what my cut off for my batteries is.

When I drove a wrecker we used to oil our cables with diesel and used motor oil. Between that and trying to constantly keep them spooled up nice and tight they really stayed in good shape for the amount of abuse we put them through.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bebop said:
How often were those winches serviced and maintained ?
If speed isn't a concern, yeah, a cheappo winch might get you out of the trail. But after using Name Brand stuff for a living, hell no I won't do chinese stuff.

Not sure what this winch is made of but it has never had anything done to it since I've had it! (5yrs?) other than a new switch in the remote and a new rope last month! I wouldn't say all are as reliable or as strong as this one but I wouldn't take $400 for it! :****:

One thing I have tried and had some success with to fight the rope from digging down to the first layer on the drum and not wanting to free spool. Wrap a layer on the drum tight just like you would with cable.
Next layer wrap the rope moving across the drum left to right faster. Then the next layer can be tight again. It does not look as nice but the 2nd and 4th layers will help keep the rope from pulling into the drum under load.

Kind of hard to explain in text. ???

clutchee said:
Also make sure you have 10-15ft sleeve over end so as you pull over rocks or whatever it's doesnt chaf

al1tonyota said:
Another thing to make sure of when swapping from cable to rope is the rope needs a heat shield on the drum end the brake is in a different place on factory roped winch from what I've read.

Typically the 10-12 ft sleeve already on the rope is the heat shield that should be wrapped on drum. I have a 4-6 ft velcro sleeve that I use to protect the rope.

I'm gonna end up with a hand winch before it's over. Every time I turn around, I'm buying more parts for my build.

Dirt700 said:
I'm gonna end up with a hand winch before it's over. Every time I turn around, I'm buying more parts for my build.

Just use the ol trusty Farm Jack! 1 click at a time...you'll get there, or dry rot trying! :)

Dirt700 said:

Whatever you thought your build was going to cost.........double it. Sorry man, been there done that.

poolman said:
Whatever you thought your build was going to cost.........double it. Sorry man, been there done that.

I know it sounds crazy and you think you know what all you need but realistically mine is going to be probably 10k over my original guesstimation. So that should explain why i have a smittybilt x20. Where my jeep had a warn hs9500.

tonybolton said:
Isn't it awesome when your "miscellaneous" budget is a much as the rest of the parts combined? :)
No kidding
kmcminn said:
I know it sounds crazy and you think you know what all you need but realistically mine is going to be probably 10k over my original guesstimation. So that should explain why i have a smittybilt x20. Where my jeep had a warn hs9500.
I think I will get a Smittybilt most likely.
poolman said:
That's the way it's looking, I have a 3 ring binder I keep receipts and cost in. I added it up the other day what I've spent so far. I was way over my guestimation of what I thought I have spent

tonybolton said:
Just use the ol trusty Farm Jack! 1 click at a time...you'll get there, or dry rot trying! :)
I got one in the shed, may have to make a mount for it. Haha