• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Frenchie winching basics 101

TBItoy said:
You got one of those $1000 alternators tho. Imagine if you had a "real" winch!

If you had a 8274 you could just sling shot your rig up rattle rock like Spider-Man

Hahaha

It was less than 1K....way less. :) I've often wondered what it would do with that winch, but I'd rather put the money in a great charging system to help everything vs 1 item. Realistically I'd like to add another battery and an onboard welder of some sorts.

ForMud said:
Put a heavy duty power shut off switch between the battery and the winch.

Great idea! Any suggestions on a good quality switch? When picking a switch, a quick search didn't return any with a continuous rating sufficient for the max amp draws on the list below.

I found this chart in an old post on Pirate -

Amp Draw:
Load........MM 12000........Warn m8000.......T-MAX 9500........Warn 8274
0...............65 Amps.............80 Amps..............7 Amps...........55 Amps
2000........126 Amps............200 Amps...........170 Amps.........190 Amps
4000........175 Amps............285 Amps...........240 Amps.........275 Amps
6000........230 Amps............350 Amps...........310 Amps.........350 Amps
8000........280 Amps............435 Amps...........380 Amps.........450 Amps
9500.............................................. .........425 Amps.......................
10000......355 Amps.............................................. ........................
12000......400 Amps.............................................. ........................

nvrenuf said:
Great idea! Any suggestions on a good quality switch? When picking a switch, a quick search didn't return any with a continuous rating sufficient for the max amp draws on the list below.

I found this chart in an old post on Pirate -

Amp Draw:
Load........MM 12000........Warn m8000.......T-MAX 9500........Warn 8274
0...............65 Amps.............80 Amps..............7 Amps...........55 Amps
2000........126 Amps............200 Amps...........170 Amps.........190 Amps
4000........175 Amps............285 Amps...........240 Amps.........275 Amps
6000........230 Amps............350 Amps...........310 Amps.........350 Amps
8000........280 Amps............435 Amps...........380 Amps.........450 Amps
9500.............................................. .........425 Amps.......................
10000......355 Amps.............................................. ........................
12000......400 Amps.............................................. ........................

Here's what I used... https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/11/35/Manual_Battery_Switches/HD-Series

BUG-E J said:
The biggest pos winches i have been around are warns. I had a superwinch that was bullet proof. Best winch i ever owned was a cheap pos chineese knockoff. You couldnt kill it and it pulled quadruple its rating multiple times.

How often were those winches serviced and maintained ?
If speed isn't a concern, yeah, a cheappo winch might get you out of the trail. But after using Name Brand stuff for a living, hell no I won't do chinese stuff.

Bebop said:
If speed isn't a concern, yeah, a cheappo winch might get you out of the trail. But after using Name Brand stuff for a living, hell no I won't do chinese stuff.

I think it's mostly the French made winches that are sketchy. :)

True, but once I use those to get to the top safe and sound. I can watch how it's done on the actual trails. You Car-O-Leena boiz just use the winch for front end weight....you don't get stuck on nuttin'! ;)

I know you can damage a winch motor with low amps. I've always run two deep cycle batteries and a 175amp alternator to keep up. I was thinking about losing one of the batteries to free up some space, but talked myself out of it.

Bebop said:
Never. It is for off road use and goes on the outside of the vehicle. Everything should be waterproof on it or the winch should be cheap

Waterproof doesn't mean maintenance proof.

You never re-pack the bearings in your spindle ? ???

Same here for the winch. You gotta clean the old grease and re-pack it once a year and re-seal the assembly.

Bebop said:
Waterproof doesn't mean maintenance proof.

You never re-pack the bearings in your spindle ? ???

Same here for the winch. You gotta clean the old grease and re-pack it once a year and re-seal the assembly.

Internet folklore....... those bearings are non-serviceable, just like kingpins. Quit overanalyzing ****. :)

My winch is an X20 waterproof.....good to go for at least 10 years. Smittybilt > Warn :)

I even do the tire pressure and check the oil in both the engine and the trans. would you believe that ? :D

I have a Smittybilt XRC 9500 w/synthetic rope. I have only had to use it a couple times, and seems to do a good job. I cant imagine spending 3 times (or more) what I did for a winch.

Bebop said:
I even do the tire pressure and check the oil in both the engine and the trans. would you believe that ? :D
Ha back in the yota days i poured fluids in when it stopped leaking!

dwa2469 said:
I have a Smittybilt XRC 9500 w/synthetic rope. I have only had to use it a couple times, and seems to do a good job. I cant imagine spending 3 times (or more) what I did for a winch.

I've seen north of 15g's spent on winches in a car.
$1000 doesn't seem to bad after that ;D