• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

NV4500...Worth it?

not all NV4500's are the same... chevy's have smaller parts then the dodges.

Like what?

The Dodge HD version used a larger diameter input shaft to handle the torque of the CTD. But if you want to keep the overall length of drivetrain down, you will want to use the shorter and still plenty strong GM style input shaft.

I think that the mainshaft on the GM version ends in a larger diameter, stronger 32 spline manner than does the Dodge 29 or 23 spline versions.

Other than that and the early GM 6.34:1 1st gear models, the guts are all the same and are interchangeable between the different versions as far as I am aware.

I would not have any concerns about running an NV4500 from a GM truck. In fact I have one that will be used to back up the 401 going into my Scrambler in an upcoming swap (although I will have to swap mainshafts so that the Dana 300 will bolt up).

I think it will be worth it. I really like the way the one in my Dodge drives. I wanted a strong transmission that I won't have to worry about, shifts smoothly, and does not have long clunky throws like a T-18. The OD is just icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.

Like what?

The Dodge HD version used a larger diameter input shaft to handle the torque of the CTD. But if you want to keep the overall length of drivetrain down, you will want to use the shorter and still plenty strong GM style input shaft.

I think that the mainshaft on the GM version ends in a larger diameter, stronger 32 spline manner than does the Dodge 29 or 23 spline versions.

Other than that and the early GM 6.34:1 1st gear models, the guts are all the same and are interchangeable between the different versions as far as I am aware.

I would not have any concerns about running an NV4500 from a GM truck. In fact I have one that will be used to back up the 401 going into my Scrambler in an upcoming swap (although I will have to swap mainshafts so that the Dana 300 will bolt up).

I think it will be worth it. I really like the way the one in my Dodge drives. I wanted a strong transmission that I won't have to worry about, shifts smoothly, and does not have long clunky throws like a T-18. The OD is just icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.

Other options Boomer.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv4500.htm
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/

I'm prolly gonna do teh Novak kit as it rtates the case to amke it flush with the bottome of the transmission.

Mines a 96 GM 4x4 version BTW.

BTW, I found some news in the rumor mill that NV is no longer producing the 4500. Supposedly another company is going to take over that model. Could be total BS, dunno for sure.

I was pretty much guessing, the only thing I KNEW was the smaller input shaft, so I wasn't sure about the rest of the internals.. And yea, on anything but backing a cummins the chevy one would do fine. I had to change out the one in my NV4500 though cause even it was too small for my application :redneck: .

NV4500 isn't the tough one to find.. the NV5600 is pretty much impossible to find now.

I've been running my NV4500 (dodge) in my Jeep for over 6 years now...many of which was when it was a DD.

It now see's trail use only and I still love it and would never consider a differnet manual tranny for a street or trail rig.

5th gear behind a V8 out in the open desert is fawking fun :redneck:

Please explain.

If it goes in a DD / trail rig you can use the 5th gear all the time and would be worth the cost.

If it goes in a Trail only rig how offten can you use the 4th & 5th gears and it would not be worth the cost.

IMHO

It is a very nice Tranny I have a lot of friends that run them, the trail only guys wish they put the money into other parts and some have swaped it out and the DD guys love it.

Oh yeah I ran a NP-435 for years and loved it 6.69 first gear was nice and it would be a lot cheaper choice

Oh yeah I ran a NP-435 for years and loved it 6.69 first gear was nice and it would be a lot cheaper choice

Part of the new challenge here is to make it a DD or at least comfortable for local runs. It's 130 miles to our usual hangout and alot of it is 75 MPH speed limit. Which means I anna do 85....:redneck:

I'll still trailer to Colrado/Moab/Rubicon or even Washington next summer hopefully. :D

I have a buddy who somewhat recently either stripped the teeth off the main shaft where it enters the transfer case. It is at the transmission shop now.

Otherwise, it works great!

Part of the new challenge here is to make it a DD or at least comfortable for local runs. It's 130 miles to our usual hangout and alot of it is 75 MPH speed limit. Which means I anna do 85....:redneck:

I'll still trailer to Colrado/Moab/Rubicon or even Washington next summer hopefully. :D

So you are running a 4.3 and what gears and tires ? I would think the NP-435 would work out good for yeah how ever the 5th gear would be very nice while driving to and from the local stuff.

Don't worry it's only money :D

So you are running a 4.3 and what gears and tires ? I would think the NP-435 would work out good for yeah how ever the 5th gear would be very nice while driving to and from the local stuff.

Don't worry it's only money :D

5.38's in 60's and 37's. I agree 5th gear will only get used above 55, but hell around here we (everyone) go that fast in town.:redneck:

As far as the money goes, I already got teh trans. I know I could sell it, but the way I look at it is with this trans and the 60's they'll last longer than me. The 700r4 that is rebuilt, will need it again before I do. :redneck:

I would use it. I wish I had a 5th gear in mine to make it more streetable. 55 is about tops(cruising) for me at around 3600 rpm--tbi 4.3, np465, toy tcase, 5.29 gears

If it goes in a DD / trail rig you can use the 5th gear all the time and would be worth the cost.

If it goes in a Trail only rig how offten can you use the 4th & 5th gears and it would not be worth the cost.

IMHO

It is a very nice Tranny I have a lot of friends that run them, the trail only guys wish they put the money into other parts and some have swaped it out and the DD guys love it.

I guess I must fall in the 1% then,lol.

With a 3.8 transfer case, I use 4th and 5th a lot. Especially in Eastern Wa trails. I can climb most any hill in 3rd gear.

With a 3.8 transfer case, I use 4th and 5th a lot. Especially in Eastern Wa trails. I can climb most any hill in 3rd gear.

Makes perfect sence Gary. I remember with my auto in my old jeep up there I was in 2 na d3rd alot with just a stock 300 case. but only 33" tires though.:redneck:

I am learning about wheeling out here from you guys :awesomework: cuz all my wheeling was in Cali on Rocks, snow, and did I say Rocks :redneck:

Latest posts