• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Official Elbe Hills Complaint Thread

my rhino makes it on 26"s 72 " wide long travel super charged no problem !!

That's the main reason that gate keepers are better than restrictions, light vehicles with small tires and high clearance will do just as good as a vehicle with large tires and the hp to push them through. Restrictions are just a broad stroke of the paintbrush and eliminate the exceptions to the rule.

Bobby are you interested in going to the next focus group to see how the gate keeper idea (obsticle) versus restrictions plays out. At this point we are trying to make a obsticle to keep the lesser prepared rigs off the busy.

My brother- in - law did the busy On sat with a jeep that had 33" tires and he has 38 " tires He said they both had to do some winching at differant locations of the 1st 300 yards . They did the whole trail in 3 hours and felt like they could have done it a lot quicker if they weren't goofing off and visiting. He felt like that if you could get past the 1st 300 yards then your rig is obviously worthy of that trail. I suggest putting some hard pan in some of those holes and fixing some of them and using the 1st 300 yards as a gate keeper.
Or if you are going to build a gate keeper then put it off to the side as to a example as to what one could expect by going on to that trail. I dont see a way that blocking off the trail is going to be effective people will just go around anyway.

Question #1 Is the gate keepers purpose to help people understand the severity of the trail and help people not to make bad choices.

Question # 2 Or is the gate keepers purpose to limit access to differant types of vehicles based on size.

I am for a gate keeper if it is built with the purpose of limiting people for the lack of ability. But I would not be for a gate keeper that limits access to people that are currently using the trail.

We all need to keep going to the focus meetings and stay involved with the happenings If you all are not there to speak for your selves then someone will speak for you. And maybe you won't like what they have to say.

My personal idea of a gate keeper is to keep the less then prepared rigs off the trail. I think this will limit the damage and impact to the trail alot. I just want a obsticle that will let you know what you are going to be dealing with ahead of you and give you a good place to turn back and find a trail your rig is more suited for....

Question #1 Is the gate keepers purpose to help people understand the severity of the trail and help people not to make bad choices.

Question # 2 Or is the gate keepers purpose to limit access to differant types of vehicles based on size.

I am for a gate keeper if it is built with the purpose of limiting people for the lack of ability. But I would not be for a gate keeper that limits access to people that are currently using the trail.

We all need to keep going to the focus meetings and stay involved with the happenings If you all are not there to speak for your selves then someone will speak for you. And maybe you won't like what they have to say.

I keep hearing about the width of the bridges being 83" and that vehicles wider than that are pushing off the rub rails, as long as the folks that are over 83" are repairing the damage that they are doing to the bridges then maybe DNR will let it stay the way it is.

My thoughts is that the gate keeper is two fold, to keep out the under prepared vehicles and the overwidth vehicles, but DNR makes the rules that we are suppose to play by, and if we don't follow their directions then I guess we will be out another wheeling area.

That's the main reason that gate keepers are better than restrictions, light vehicles with small tires and high clearance will do just as good as a vehicle with large tires and the hp to push them through. Restrictions are just a broad stroke of the paintbrush and eliminate the exceptions to the rule.

My personal idea of a gate keeper is to keep the less then prepared rigs off the trail. I think this will limit the damage and impact to the trail alot. I just want a obsticle that will let you know what you are going to be dealing with ahead of you and give you a good place to turn back and find a trail your rig is more suited for....

:awesomework: Well said.

I will agree with going to meetings would help !!!
stock rhinos go good also they are 50 inches wide 3 of my freinds have been through no problem !

I keep hearing about the width of the bridges being 83" and that vehicles wider than that are pushing off the rub rails, as long as the folks that are over 83" are repairing the damage that they are doing to the bridges then maybe DNR will let it stay the way it is.

My thoughts is that the gate keeper is two fold, to keep out the under prepared vehicles and the overwidth vehicles, but DNR makes the rules that we are suppose to play by, and if we don't follow their directions then I guess we will be out another wheeling area.

If there were some people with rigs over 83" there helping to build the bridges, maybe that wouldn't be a problem. I think another problem DNR is looking at is the destruction of trees, which a narrower rig is just as capable of in the wrong hands.

I wonder if they would allow us to widen the bridges ?
we could replant trees to cover for the loses !!!!

It's possible, the more people involved, the more DNR will listen, look at the Horse people, they have a lot of involvement and usually have the nicest campgrounds and roads at most of the ones I've been to.

i dont know if they would or not. The cost of the material and the man hours it takes kinda kills the budget for the year fast.

I would guess that widening the bridges would be doable. Losing and replacing a few trees isn't so much the issue. It's losing the trees that result in trail widening and trail changes (and somewhat the safety issue of trees that fall down). These both cause the trail to lose the it's "Character". It's that loss of "character" that is upsetting a lot of the people with smaller rigs, especially those that built the trail.

The arguement you have to be prepared for is "making the trails fit your rig vs making your rig fit the trails."

A gatekeeper should prevent people who are not capable, from going on and give them the option to turn around. 300' if is NOT a good place to turn around unless there is an option to escape.

It's possible, the more people involved, the more DNR will listen, look at the Horse people, they have a lot of involvement and usually have the nicest campgrounds and roads at most of the ones I've been to.

its too bad we share a third of the budget with these folks.:booo: and my orv tabs were higher this year too. what kind of registration do horses have??:masturbanana[1]:

All the bridges were volenteer built. I helped build 2 of them last summer.There was a engineering drawing for the spec so i am not sure how much room we have to play. These are all questions that could be asked at the focus group.

its too bad we share a third of the budget with these folks.:booo: and my orv tabs were higher this year too. what kind of registration do horses have??:masturbanana[1]:
Don't get me started, it's like the morons that ride their bikes on the roads and think they can take up a lane, but that's a whole other post in itself. :mad:

Brad its more then the horses...... Everybody from snowshoers to hikers to mountain bike trails tap into this budget..

You have that all wrong. The horse people do it all themselves with volunteer hours that make the ORV people look like they've never picked up garbage. It has nothing to do with them getting more or less money. However, money is raised by matching fund programs and they give out money partially based on how many volunteer hours there are.

Yes, we share the same budget but they get their share because they are out there working their (horse)tails off :)

It's that loss of "character" that is upsetting a lot of the people with smaller rigs, especially those that built the trail.

The arguement you have to be prepared for is "making the trails fit your rig vs making your rig fit the trails."

do you remember the show of hands at the last 304th meeting? the question was, how many of you wheel a SWB rig on the busy?, about 5 people raised there hand.:haha: when asked how many folks wheel a newer LWB rig?, about a hundred or more people raised there hand.:awesomework:

these folks are the minority now. origanators or not, they are being replaced quickly.:awesomework:

You have that all wrong. The horse people do it all themselves with volunteer hours that make the ORV people look like they've never picked up garbage. It has nothing to do with them getting more or less money. However, money is raised by matching fund programs and they give out money partially based on how many volunteer hours there are.

Yes, we share the same budget but they get their share because they are out there working their (horse)tails off :)

Sounds like there needs to be more work parties then.

Latest posts