• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Oil change light

rpf500

I've googled this and I understand it, but I'm curious what you guys do. I've always been a person who changes oil at 3k miles. Maybe 3500. Regular, not synthetic. Anyway, my wife drives a lot for work. I change oil every 4 to 6 weeks. Somehow we got on the topic of mileage vs what the oil life monitors say in our vehicles and it got me thinking. How accurate are they, and am I wasting money?

So, my 2006 Tahoe shows approximately 50% oil life at 3000 miles. Her Acadia showed 61% when I changed oil Sunday. People online are reporting following the monitors until around 10% which was anywhere between 7k up to like 12k. And some mentioned still owning that vehicle 100K miles later.

So, what do you guys say? Am I old school and oil changes at 3k miles a thing of the past with new technology in oil and vehicle manufacturers?

Re:

I use the oil change light, mu wifes car holds almost 9 qts of oil, so I go by the light because there is no way that 9qts of oil gets dirty in 3k miles.
All of my other vehicles get changed around 5k miles.
I keep a check on the oil and at 3k it don't look like it needs changing, oil never goes bad unless it gets very hot, it just gets dirty.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Re:

I used to be a 3k oil change guy but I jus got older and went to 5k.....then got vehicles with monitors and just said **** it I'll change it at 10%.

Every 3k with Castrol conventional oil. The monitors just count engine revolutions, but my lack of knowledge on the matter seems to be that heat cycles and periods of time for breakdown of conventional oil could differ greatly from period to period in terms of engine revolutions. Another reason I like to use conventional oil is the fact of cycling new oil through more frequently. Plus, you usually aren't gonna be low of oil within the 3k mile mark unless you got one of them Jon Piper oil burnin Jeeps. I let my old 02 Yukon 5.3L go to 5k miles on conventional one time years ago when I forgot to change it, and the engine oil low level light came on in the message center. **** was about 2 qts low. I've just studied on it and feel that changing it every 3k miles is just the all around best decision for me.

I do 5k but my buddies new cummins is at 12k and still says 30% life, it's a lease truck so he is letting it go till it says 10% , the dealer told him to do that I was shocked , my oil always looks decent when I change it , usually every few months

I've got a 07 highlander and the light came on at 3k. I would just reset it without changing the oil, then change it at 5k., then reset the light again. I did that a few times and now the light comes on at 5k.
I figured just train it to come on when you want. thumb.gif

Re:

If I waited for the light in the Jk there wouldn't be any oil left. That sucker burns 2-3 qts in 5k miles. I still hate we bought that pos

ranger11 said:
If I waited for the light in the Jk there wouldn't be any oil left. That sucker burns 2-3 qts in 5k miles. I still hate we bought that pos
Hate to be a "told you so" but...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:

ranger11 said:

Mopar product!!! ^^^^^

I just do what my truck says to do. Lol

Re:

I send all mine off for oil analysis.

Mileage interval depends on driving conditions, how you drive, type of oil, oil filter, all highway vs all city, and blah blah. I use Rotella t6 in everything but the wife's car becuase she gets one of those 5 qt valvoline synthetic that will do 1 change for 9k miles. She drives I say 95% highway. Pulled almost 80k out of the factory tires and brakes due to the highway driving along with proper rotation and alignment.

I know we're probably discussing "trucks" here, but I was rather shocked in doing research on my first luxury car. This BMW 335i has all kinds of bells and whistles as you'd imagine, but to my surprise it doesn't even have a dipstick. It's a 6cyl that holds 7qts of......European Spec oil....which I have no clue the difference is between regular.

The only way to check the oil is by the electronic dipstick sitting in the drives seat. You click through the diagnostics menu, it gives a "working clock" signal and 5-10 seconds later you have an image of a dipstick that has a min and max. It will also tell you when the oil capacity is 1qt low with an error message on the cluster.

I've been beating on this thing pretty hard for a month and putting different aggressive boost tunes it and coming back from Tellico on a day trip that quart low light popped up. I stopped and poured a quart in it and watch the dipstick go back to max in the parking lot.

I think the oil thing in these modern cars are getting to the point where they know people don't want to **** with oil changes so they're programming them smarter and using better oils on the market.

I mean, most modern cars will tell you when your tires are low, your oil needs changing, your XXXXX mile service is due and even down to things like your gas cap being loose.

I'm content being a drone / slave to the car.

I go by the dash light in my 2009 2500hd gasser.. It's on right now and I don't feel like doing it outside in the cold lol.. I've always changed my oil by the light in all the vehicles I've had that will tell me when it needs it. The rest of em just gets changed when it starts getting dirty looking.

tommy450r said:
Not to derail this but what do yall do about trail rigs that doesn't have a light or miles to go by??

Once a year for mine.....old school 5.7 Vortec motor. I usually set aside one day before "heavy riding months" begin(usually mid/late March) and change all fluids front to back. This also includes wheel bearings. The zerk fittings usually get hit once a month or after a very very wet/muddy ride.

I know this may seem overkill to some on here...but I ride about 2 to 3 times every month and usually ride from March to December.

I am very paranoid about my rig and want to do all I can to ensure that when I back it off the trailer, that i'll be driving it back on after about 6 or 8 hours.

Re:

Full synthetic in the 7.3 5-6k miles depending on how much local towing. 3.3L Dodge Caravan, every 5k, full synthetic, 2015 pathfinder, when the service light comes on. Maybe 7k. Crawler is yearly or when I purchase something new. Tractor and mower is yearly too.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

5,000 in my truck don't go buy the light.
Wife's yota we wait till light is on
Motorcycles get it 5,000 on full synthetic
Boats first of every summer.

tommy450r said:
Not to derail this but what do yall do about trail rigs that doesn't have a light or miles to go by??

I change mine every 2-3 rides depending on how much I ride. I'm probably going to wait a little longer next time but I am considering my motor to just not be getting broke in.

Yea my tractor gets it once a year. The mower twice a year and to be 100% honest my buggy and jeep hasn't had a motor last 1 full year since I can remember lol the buggy is new and already on #2 jeep is on #4 but I do ride hard and almost every weekend!!