• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ok....?

lethe

so i drove to my work to today to check a few things out on my truck. anyways when i start my truck and im about to leave there is white smoke puffing out of the exhaust and water dripping from the tip. so i figured the fawking head gasket let go or something. i pulled the oil cap off and sure enough it was cream colored in the cap. but down in the head and in the oil pan the oil is normal color. i drove for a while and after about five minutes it stopped smoking. i checked my oil again after about 30 minutes of driving and its still fine. any ideas why it would do such a thing? intake gasket maybe?:wtf:

It has been moist lately but the water indication in the oil cap may not be a good sign. Check compression. If no indication of problems pull valve cover & take a gander at the timing chain & guides. Timing chain will wear into the timing cover allowing water into the cover if a hole is worn through from the chain.

x2 on what notstock said. If the timing chain guides are broken/missing, the timing chain can wear a hole through the aluminum timing cover and into one of the coolant passages, then you'll get oil mixing with the water. However, I've never seen this cause an appreciable amount of white smoke out the tailpipe on startup, so it's probably a good idea to do a compression check and see if any of your cylinders is leaking coolant into the combustion chamber as well.

Usually you can tell when the timing chain guides are missing because the front of the motor will make a big ticking racket immediately on startup that will settle down once the oil pressure builds and the timing chain tensioner (oil pressure based) takes up the slack.

chain and guide rails are fairly new. im just stumped as to why there was only the cream color on the oil can and not in the head itself. ill pull the plugs and see if any of them are wet. i dont have the part to check compression.

if im not there next week ill be there the week after next. i have a court date on the 23rd so i have to be up there then.

it didnt puff white smoke untill about 15 minutes of driving.

After it had time to come to running temp the system built enough presure to to cause the head gasket or crack in the head to leak into the cylinder.

Latest posts