• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ok...Fuel cells vs. Genright...Skool me!

zukkev

Cornfuzzled yet again...
BEFORE Jim spends an assload on a G.R. EXT tank/skid, I have been reading a bunch on what folks are running for a fuel cell in a YJ, and seems the RCI-2161A is a popular choice...Are there any cells out there I've maybe missed that folks have run, that fits under the bed, while having ~4" stretch w/Dana60 rear?? Anyone know of someone that does custom cells I could contact? I understand there will be some fab work to get a cell in, while retaining the storage (TRYING not to cut the bottom of the tub out, which a 2161 series seems to be necessary)....At the same time there will be some fab work to get a G.R. tank in as well, since the factory rear mounting got ripped off with the old rear bumper! :redneck:
The cell that WAS in his rig was just too damn huge, and robbed a bunch of space in the back...He (namely his wife! :D) would like to have that space back (or at least most of it) for storage... Any help pointing to something I may have missed, or not thought of, would be greatly appreciated! :awesomework:

Last edited:
Could always take your measurements and have yourself a custom tank made out of stainless or aluminum. Find an outfit that does custom marine repair and they should have a couple of tank builders in their vendor files. If it has to be slosh resistant, then you can either have him weld in baffles, or fill it yourself with tank foam. The tanks we had built were pressure tested and coast guard approved. I would think that should satisfy DOT.

Thanks, and I had actually thought of that very thing earlier, and called a buddy that built a new tank for another buddy's 40 Olds project (tigged stainless, direct replacement) and it turned out awesome! He would be more than willing to make one IF his work didn't cut off doing personal projects afterhours using scrap material...:mad: Such is life...:rolleyes:

RCI-2161A would be my choice next to a custom one, I was looking into it for my TJ and the Gen Right is priced like gold.

I have seen guys take a heat gun and "mold" the stock plastic tank so it has a relief for the diff to clear.

Whats wrong with STEEL?

I am very nervous when it comes to wheeling (contact sport) and aluminum gas tanks.

I run into trees, I drive on junk cars, I do dumb things and I dont want an aluminum can for a gas tank in a rig that can destroy it.

Guys will weld up DIY beadlocks like nothing, but will avoid making a tank out for sheet metal like its the plague.

Just make one. You will keep more loot in your shop in the form of labor, he will save some loot and have a better product when done.

I have built several steel tanks from scratch and they all have worked great and fit EXACTLY like I wanted then to.

Im no master fabber or tig welder, but I have no problem making an old gas tank.

The 2161A will fit behind the rear seat without cutting up the floor short of holes for fuel lines. The biggest downfall is the loss of interior storage space.

Good talking with you last night Kevin, as I said, the Genright tank should handle his needs just fine. I am running one and my rear axle is pushed back 5-5.5". I sent you a PM on availability as well.

John

There is extensive thread, on Pirate, which talks how to modify the OEM fuel tank for a 5 inch axle/wheelbase stretch. It looks pretty easy, and is essentially free (as you already own the OEM fuel tank).

That said, I bought a GenRight fuel tank when I stretched my TJ. Their quality, fit, and finish are exceptional.

Last edited:
i don't know anything about the Genright but every RCI tank I have heard about being ran in a 4x4 has blown out the seams and was needed to be rewelded.

i don't know anything about the Genright but every RCI tank I have heard about being ran in a 4x4 has blown out the seams and was needed to be rewelded.

My Genright has been in my rig for four years. Think that should answer any questions about quality. :haha:

Another option to look into... I put the RCI 2171 in my wrangler, right behind the rear seat. It's a little taller and skinnier than the 2161 and gets you 17 gallons. Cargo space wise, I'm not gonna have much... but that's mainly because I really wanted to keep the back seat. If the back seat wasn't a concern, it could be moved forward closer to the front seats and still keep plenty of space in the back.

Good talking with you last night Kevin, as I said, the Genright tank should handle his needs just fine. I am running one and my rear axle is pushed back 5-5.5". I sent you a PM on availability as well.

John
You too! And thanks again! :awesomework:
There is extensive thread, on Pirate, which talks how to modify the OEM fuel tank for a 5 inch axle/wheelbase stretch. It looks pretty easy, and is essentially free (as you already own the OEM fuel tank).

That said, I bought a GenRight fuel tank when I stretched my TJ. Their quality, fit, and finish are exceptional.
Oh believe me, i read about tanks for hours---I saw several threads about modding the O.E. tank... It was Jim's decision (ultiamtely his wife's, and SAFETY is her #1 concern!:redneck:)...mine too for that matter when messing with fuel tanks, especially plastic ones.
I also read alot about RCI's (on here even)...which was partly the deciding factor in a G.R.---again, safety! :redneck:
Another option to look into... I put the RCI 2171 in my wrangler, right behind the rear seat. It's a little taller and skinnier than the 2161 and gets you 17 gallons. Cargo space wise, I'm not gonna have much... but that's mainly because I really wanted to keep the back seat. If the back seat wasn't a concern, it could be moved forward closer to the front seats and still keep plenty of space in the back.

See above previous responses! :haha: AND they wanted to keep all the space in the cargo area---they are not running a back seat...:awesomework:

I have seen guys take a heat gun and "mold" the stock plastic tank so it has a relief for the diff to clear.

Whats wrong with STEEL?

I am very nervous when it comes to wheeling (contact sport) and aluminum gas tanks.

I run into trees, I drive on junk cars, I do dumb things and I dont want an aluminum can for a gas tank in a rig that can destroy it.

Guys will weld up DIY beadlocks like nothing, but will avoid making a tank out for sheet metal like its the plague.

Just make one. You will keep more loot in your shop in the form of labor, he will save some loot and have a better product when done.

I have built several steel tanks from scratch and they all have worked great and fit EXACTLY like I wanted then to.

Im no master fabber or tig welder, but I have no problem making an old gas tank.

^^^this:beer:

genrights quality is without question but their overall prices w/shipping is stupid expensive. I swear you have to have to fit into the JK/TJ stereotypical jeepers and be a flipping doctor or lawyer to be able to afford their stuff...

RCI's and aluminum tanks ive seen crack and seep gas down the backside of rigs and that was enough to make me not want any part of their product line.

I do agree with most of the previous responses where if you have the money, dont mind dumping it then go for genright. BUT Personally stock poly(plastic) tank for the win. CHEAP, dependable for what we do, and you can box em in if your that worried about it.

I ditched the rr seat in my YJ, receseed the tank through the floor and built a 1/8" steel box around it. total in the conversion was $15 for a chunk of angle iron to build the box. The rest was scrap laying around...

I love my Genright tank. It still holds 17 gallons, fits in the stock location, has room for 5" stretch wheelbase with a D60, and I still have my backseat for the kids and storage space behind it. To me, the quality and not losing the space inside the tub was worth spending the coin.

Kev, I am going to install a RCI-2171A in the back of the rig I am working on now. Customer wants to retain the rear seat but also run the inverted 4 link with 105" wheel base.

Thanks again guys for all the input.....and building one was discussed, but the decision was made to go with a G.R.---another deciding factor of this was the rig will retain some resemblence to Street legal, and having a tank 50 State Legal AND can take punishment goes a long way...

Thanks again guys for all the input.....and building one was discussed, but the decision was made to go with a G.R.---another deciding factor of this was the rig will retain some resemblence to Street legal, and having a tank 50 State Legal AND can take punishment goes a long way...

:thud::bling::bling: geterdone jim!:awesomework: