• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Optima Batteries woes!

I've had mine over 3 years and no problems. It just sets on the trailer until I wheel it. I've probably used the winch 30 times with it too.:awesomework:

glad it works for ya! I have a couple that are on sale. did I mention how great they are! you will love them!:corn: plus it only takes like 3 volts to turn over a toyota!!:haha:

I run dual reds in my TJ. I haven't had any problems with either of them. I did have to replace one red top, but it was because the case itself was cracked after a roll. I got a free replacement.

For any east side folks... I was at the Richland schmucks today. They have a bunch of deep cycle lead acid along with a few black orbital and about 5 blue top orbital batteries on clearance bacause they are old. They are supposed to rotate stock every 6 months and they hadn't dont that since '06. So they are selling them for about 30% cheaper than normal.

For any east side folks... I was at the Richland schmucks today. They have a bunch of deep cycle lead acid along with a few black orbital and about 5 blue top orbital batteries on clearance bacause they are old. They are supposed to rotate stock every 6 months and they hadn't dont that since '06. So they are selling them for about 30% cheaper than normal.

Yep. I got my orbital at schmucks for $100 cause it was a year old. :cool:

All of mine still work fine....
I've had one failure when a winch wire grounded.
the only other one I've had die was about 5 or 6 years old.....

I've been runnin a red top in My XJ for the last 4 yrs w/ no problems, and was bought as a blem a yr before ---this is mainly used for hunting, so it doesn't see alot of everyday driving, either. I also run a Blue Top in my wheeler-been a yr now w/ no problems!!!

My red tops are over 7 years old and just now let me down. I have had no problems with them at all for over 7 years, leaving them sit for months at a time and they always started right up. Till now.... :mad: I am in the market for two new ones, you say the new Optimas are no good ?

I must have good luck... I didnt start my truck for 2 months this winter and it gets below 0 in spokane here. I have a red top thats 2 years old, cranked it a few times and bam, fired right up. I love my red top, no problems.....

I had some Optima redtops that I bought as refurbs at Action Auto Parts. I basically bought 2 refurb redtops for the price of one new one. They worked pretty good but after 3 years of use they would not hold a charge at all anymore. I was satisfied that I got my money's worth from them, but I have gone back to using regular lead-acid batteries.

I've seen the "Optima bashing" threads many times. The trouble is that most folks don't specify which color they're running. Typically the issues are with the reds. They can't sit un-used for very long, and they can't take a full discharge...at all.

Get yourself a yellow or blue and you'll do just fine (both considered "deep cycle). The common misconception is that they can't be used for starting, which is BS. They have more CCA than most stock batteries.

I have a blue top in my Tacoma (daily driver). I've not had any trouble the past 4 years or so. I have fully discharged it many times - camping, running the radio while working in the yard, running an inverter to keep our heater running in a power outage, etc...

I have 2 yellows in the Unimog. Same thing, no trouble. It will often sit for months at a time without being use. I occasionally use the yellows for welding (ReadyWelder), running the inverter, etc. They're about 3 years old with no issues.

my year old red is working fine, I have let the rig sit for days on end, even weeks. I guess its cause i dont have a draw in my elec system......

I have a coupleof red refurbs 7-8 yrs old, sit for months at a time and never let me down. I have read that the older ones are better and the newer ones are junk, Have no idea what I will goto when these finally letme down:booo: