• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

460 woes...

So the other day, sitting in a drive-through and start smelling coolant. Come home and I'm dripping coolant from what appears to be the water pump. Check the radiator, only a 1/4 gallon low, but when I filled it up, there was oil spots in the coolant. Check the oil, no coolant. Figured it was something to do with the timing cover/water pump, so I bought a pump. As I'm taking the pump off, I'm pulling a bolt and coolant is pouring out the hole. Get the pump all the way off, still dribbling from the hole. What gives? This happen to anyone else?

If I remember right a couple of those water pump bolts go into coolant passages, and i think u need to put some silicone on the bolts when u reassemble it, been a while since i changed one so i might be off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: 460 woes...

Zjman said:
If I remember right a couple of those water pump bolts go into coolant passages, and i think u need to put some silicone on the bolts when u reassemble it, been a while since i changed one so i might be off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I helped a buddy pull a few water pumps on his 460 and I believe this is correct.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If it were me I would replace the timing cover gasket, you are already half way there. I have had them start to leak after a w. pump job. Those long bolts hold the timing cover and w. pump on, and the lower long ones go into a coolant jacket in the block.

44BRAND said:
If it were me I would replace the timing cover gasket, you are already half way there. I have had them start to leak after a w. pump job. Those long bolts hold the timing cover and w. pump on, and the lower long ones go into a coolant jacket in the block.
x2 and while you were at it throw a timing set at it :dblthumb:

****, he won't get a new timing set by the misses, let alone anything else. She is tighter than tree bark unless its time to waste money on stupid unnecessary ****.

pholmann said:
****, he won't get a new timing set by the misses, let alone anything else. She is tighter than tree bark unless its time to waste money on stupid unnecessary ****.
But it "needs" it...