• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Orbitrol Port Size - Mertic, BSP?

bbtank45

Under Construction
Working on wrapping up my buggy project with a salvaged orbitol from a forklift.....i think (received this second hand from a HL member).

I am trying to figure out the thread size for the (4) main ports in order to adapt to 6 an. I have done some Googling and haven't come up with any info.

Possibly 3/8-19 BSP? Thanks for the help guys

It looks like u got the fittings to go in orbital correct? Looks like u need jic ends not an. I believe they are same thread but u need to search for jic fittings, i just ordered all my stuff from surplus center
Edit. Looks like u may have sae fittings but u can adapt to jic or get sae hoses and fittings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zjman said:
It looks like u got the fittings to go in orbital correct? Looks like u need jic ends not an. I believe they are same thread but u need to search for jic fittings, i just ordered all my stuff from surplus center
Edit. Looks like u may have sae fittings but u can adapt to jic or get sae hoses and fittings

The fittings going in to the orbital are what I want to replace/adapt to 6 an male. The fittings going into the orbital are not JIC (doesnt appear to be at least)....the male out is #6 JIC tho.

An is aluminum and wont hold up to hydro pressure thats why ya run jic Same thread just steel instrad of aluminum and that fitting doesnt look like its got the taper to be jic

Zjman said:
An is aluminum and wont hold up to hydro pressure thats why ya run jic Same thread just steel instrad of aluminum and that fitting doesnt look like its got the taper to be jic

Arent the taper surfaces different between JIC and AN?....I swear i've purchased plenty of 6 AN steel fittings before. Thanks again for the help.

bbtank45 said:
Arent the taper surfaces different between JIC and AN?....I swear i've purchased plenty of 6 AN steel fittings before. Thanks again for the help.

Jic has 2 tapers, and one of those matches AN making them interchangeable.

The orbital itself should use an o-ring fitting, and the hoses will attach with JIC/AN. I got all my fitting for cheap from surplus (~$2 each compared to $8+ from the popular steering companies)

bbtank45 said:

JIC comes in 37 and 45 degree tapers. You want the 37 degree stuff to match AN. It looks like the fittings going into the orbital are o-ring boss, which they usually are. Yours could be some goofy metric stuff though.

This may help you: https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/thread_guide.pdf

I'd try 5/8" 18 o ring fitting. All the metric stuff I found in 16mm had the o ring down on the bottom.

Try an 18 thread gauge in it. That 20 doesn't fit.