• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ori's or coilovers and air bumps

xjpaddler

:fish: still trying to decide which route go. everyone ive talked to that has ori's love them, and from what ive seen they work pretty well.
but the ????? is why are we not seeing them on some of the higher end rigs??

i would like to here opinions from from everybody!!
weekend wheelers
high end builders
ultra4/ koh
bouncers

I had a set of ORIs and they weren't for me. I never could get them to work good on my trail rig. After months of pressure changes, adding/removing oil and emails back and forth with ORI I sold them.

I ordered my first set of KING coilovers and out of the box they were better. I ended up lowering the upper spring rate in the rear. I never changed valving in them and they are now on my race Jeep. Call it neglect but in the 3 years I've owned them I've yet to change the oil, orings or seals. I need to add some compression valving to them and I will replace the seals and oil when I do.

I have had KINGs on every buggy I've had since and have yet to have an issue. They are simple to service yourself, parts are cheap, availability of shocks and replacement parts is great and tuning is endless. For a trail only rig I'd toss a set of emulsions on it and go. If you want to spend the coin up front for bumps it's never a bad idea but you possibly could get away without them by running the cancel nuts down and forcing the lower spring to do all the work at the end of the compression stroke. A cheap set of poly bumps could also be a possibility. It really depends on your budget. I think you'll find emulsion shocks with springs are pretty reasonable on price.

Just my opinion, I'm sure there are guys out there that are very happy with their ORIs, if not they wouldn't still be building shocks. They just weren't for me.

Wide Open Design keeps coilovers with springs in stock and can help you with initial valving setup as well as any future tuning. It's nice to have someone who knows shocks to help you get things right no matter which direction you go. There is nothing worse than a shitty riding buggy!!!!

I love my ori's... I ran them on my jeep, buggy, and runner, I like how they ride, I like how clean they are. If you need help Kelly is the man to set them up!

Re: Re: ori's or coilovers and air bumps

So far I like mine. 14's front and rear. Ride is nice, packaging is clean, and no spring/slider popping clanging.
yhe3ehad.jpg

I bought a set of 16" ORI's . I haven't had a chance to try them out yet so I couldn't tell you how they perform but I can tell you this it takes about 8-10 weeks to get a set so plan ahead.

I don't believe ORI's are for everyone, especially racers. However i have been very pleased with personal and customer buggies that get used primarily for weekend bashing. I know they work well for someone who wants to weekend bash and race small short events like ecors. Properly setup suspension with them equals crazy stability and no sway bar needed. I like them better than my Bilstein coil overs but they were 2" and never tuned.(so not knocking them) I know they could have been improved on. I however swapped springs multiple times. I think out of the box i am much happier with ori's. JMO

Thanks Pj

mpistolpj said:
I don't believe ORI's are for everyone, especially racers. However i have been very pleased with personal and customer buggies that get used primarily for weekend bashing. I know they work well for someone who wants to weekend bash and race small short events like ecors. Properly setup suspension with them equals crazy stability and no sway bar needed. I like them better than my Bilstein coil overs but they were 2" and never tuned.(so not knocking them) I know they could have been improved on. I however swapped springs multiple times. I think out of the box i am much happier with ori's. JMO

Thanks Pj

pj this is my thougts exactly, it looks like you could get really close to the suspension response of a race rig. but it wouldnt last on long dessert type races.

i am planing to build a rig more towards the style of a bouncer, sure seams like ori's would work well in that aplication???

what about the internal bumps?? how often do you guys feel your rigs bottom out?? i know my rig will be jumped, and beat. anyone running air bumps with there ori's??

crawlin85cj said:
You guys make me want to buy another set and try again.

if your buying, il be happy to test them on the new rig:) :****:

all jokes aside, i have about went nuts watching and trying to learn on this subject.
i love the style and shear toughness of the bouncers, but it seams the reason there called bouncers is there suspension!! when you watch some of the race rigs hit stuff just as hard and look a lot smother doing it.

xjpaddler said:
if your buying, il be happy to test them on the new rig:) :****:

all jokes aside, i have about went nuts watching and trying to learn on this subject.
i love the style and shear toughness of the bouncers, but it seams the reason there called bouncers is there suspension!! when you watch some of the race rigs hit stuff just as hard and look a lot smother doing it.

Stay tuned on this. I think you'll see a nice surprise at the 1st SRRS race.

crawlin85cj said:
Stay tuned on this. I think you'll see a nice surprise at the 1st SRRS race.

im looking forward to it!! there are quite a few rigs im anxious to see. includeing yours!!
really hopeing some others would chime in. i would like to here thoughts from woodlee, jimmy pinner/ EOR, i know mr. coleworx isnt on here much, but would like to here his thoughts as well.

i have about as tight a budget as anyone, but shocks/suspension is a place i am ok spending some$$

Clouds of Tittys aint for everybody :flipoff1:

I've posted over the years my thoughts on when I ran ORI's, search my name and ORI on here if you care to waste some time.

Other than that what PJ said. :****:

I have coilovers and bumps on the front of my rig now, but have ORI's on the rear. It has served me well, but I will be using ORIs on my new buggy. They are easy to mount, adjust and maintain. Packaging is a big plus with them....

Brian

InDaShop said:
Clouds of Tittys aint for everybody :flipoff1:

I've posted over the years my thoughts on when I ran ORI's, search my name and ORI on here if you care to waste some time.

Other than that what PJ said. :****:

I will agree, Wyatt's ORI's looked smooth, and that was years ago when ORI's were still fairly new. He did have an inside man in his corner though. :flipoff1:

Wyatt, I searched for your old posts and all I got was red X's. :popcorn: