• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ORV Leadership

Mark, I understand where you're coming from.. you want to wheel, and thats great. I think your approach works for some people, you're doing more than others are. That said, nothing will move forward unless user groups come together and take responsibility.

People have complained on here in the past that 'DNR doesn't care about ORVs or recreation' .. this used to be true. They are behind the times. However, last nights meeting told me that they aren't the ones keeping us from doing what we want. Washington State law makes it VERY hard for them to build trails that are useful for us. Also, not having any funds makes it very hard for DNR to just be a supplier, like communism to all us users. I find that if people expect DNR to give us land, manage it, and keep things running, that we won't get what we want. We need to take personal responsibility take a proactive role in management of the lands we recreate on.

I want Mark and those who agree with him, to remember this: North Fork. It was a kickass place to wheel. It had great trails, and for those up north it was close. It got shut down because too many people acted like Mark... they may have told others to stay on the trail, but they didn't help clean up the pit... they didn't help with Forest Watch, they didn't help DNR try to keep it open. So when the hammer came down on DNR, there was little they could do but shut it down. We failed as a community because we didn't come into the political arena quick enough to fight for access.

What EVERY SINGLE USER on this board should be doing is this:
1) Contacting their representatives, and tell them you want the Immunity Law changed. This law MUST be changed if we wish to have trails harder than Walker valley.
2) Contact our representatives and tell them to restore the NOVA funds and support legislation to give sustainable funds to DNR for recreation.
3) Supporting ORV groups in your county or statewide to help lobby to change laws so we can have greater access to trails.

And lastly, for those who think clubs are :rb:

**** you.

Clubs are what keep the lands YOU wheel on open. Without clubs, we'd have no legal access. Reiter would belong to the mtn bikers now.

Screw the meeting dude! That's such a small part of it. And clean-ups should happen ALL THE TIME, BY EVERYONE.....no scheduled dates necessary.

Idealistic goal, realistically impossible. Why? because people are douche-bags. Either there is too much junk left to clean up (campsite or other trash dumpsites) or people don't stop. Sure we can do the latter, and many of us do... but there is no way to keep it from happening. As long as non-orv's are allowed near the trailhead, you'll see dumping.

However, case in point, DNR calls us (RRR4x4) up when there is a hulk dumped, and we get out there usually the next weekend and clean it up. So there is active work on trying to keep places clean. .. its just, it takes a lot of time to find other people's ****.

Good stuff...keep it coming.

VOICE YOUR OPINION! Whether it's about me or ORV politics, or whatever.......

Idealistic goal, realistically impossible. Why? because people are douche-bags. Either there is too much junk left to clean up (campsite or other trash dumpsites) or people don't stop. Sure we can do the latter, and many of us do... but there is no way to keep it from happening. As long as non-orv's are allowed near the trailhead, you'll see dumping.

However, case in point, DNR calls us (RRR4x4) up when there is a hulk dumped, and we get out there usually the next weekend and clean it up. So there is active work on trying to keep places clean. .. its just, it takes a lot of time to find other people's ****.

Alot of the ORV comunity are self centered around what they are doing. Its funny you talk to folks and tell them this or that and they agree---till they leave and turn the conrer and all that goes right out the door.

Its sad really--if folks would look beyond there own self centeredness and work together--I really think things would be A TON different. We could organize and have masive trail systems for all types of users. But folks don't seem to wanna work to have anything--rather leave it up to other folks.

Look at how **** is now--imagion what it will be like in just 5 years...

I hope that if/when someone picks you as "their guy" you'll have more info to relay to them, than that.

Sorry mark I don't have the time to sit and type a book that many will just pass on and not read. That was just in lamens terms. I preach enough to deaf ears...

Working together is necessary.....but we can work SEPERATLY to accomplish the same goals. If no one on this board is doing what you think is going in the right direction.......then "your guy" could be David from the DNR. Or "your gal" could be Kim from the DNR.

Pick "a person" and help them. There are no set rules to my suggestion. Think outside of the box......like me.:;

We don't need a Reverend to preach (so to speak) we need a leader to lead.......or 2, or 3.

Thats true.. .and as Marty from Skagit motorcycle club said last night at the DNR meeting "Changes are coming" -- in regards to not having a unified voice for areas up north.

Last night's meeting was a great showing of all the different user groups looking to band together and help DNR get recreation right, I came back feeling excited that we can probably get s**t done.

Since reiter is too far south for me to effectively attend meetings (especially since all the RTW meetings conflict with other meetings), there is growing momentum to unify recreation in Whatcom and Skagit county.

Another way to look at the point of this thread.......if you are working with an individual, and that individual is working with an individual that is working with the DNR. Guess what? You're now a part of the team.:awesomework:

Huh, imagine that.......:;

Another way to look at the point of this thread.......if you are working with an individual, and that individual is working with an individual that is working with the DNR. Guess what? You're now a part of the team.:awesomework:

Huh, imagine that.......:;

But your a scattered network. Sure that helps but is not efficiant.

Once a year I organize a a clean-up at Tahuya. Every year we have great results and accomplish a lot. We try to work this in with the Quadrapaws so we have more man power out there and pick-up a lot of trash.

But.....

Every time I try and offer "our" (the4x4network) help for trail maintenance or work parties I get static. All the QP's know how to get ahold of us if they need help but they never do.

So your saying if a leader was to pop up--everybody would follow? ummmm ya....

No. He must be chosen. You don't pick being a leader, being a leader picks you.

Again.......pick "a guy" and help him. If enough people picked (fill in the blank)......he could be our new leader.

Once a year I organize a a clean-up at Tahuya. Every year we have great results and accomplish a lot. We try to work this in with the Quadrapaws so we have more man power out there and pick-up a lot of trash.

But.....

Every time I try and offer "our" (the4x4network) help for trail maintenance or work parties I get static. All the QP's know how to get ahold of us if they need help but they never do.

How active are you with there other workings? Like meetings and so on?
Myabe travis can enlighten us to the reason for this.

It's not efficient now, with the groups/clubs handling the issues at hand.

I'm not drawing a line in the sand.

Sure its not efficiant right now--but thats because of a different scenario. Right now those who are out there trying are "lacking" user based help/volunteers. You can only accomplish so much when only handfulls of folks who are constantly trying to keep up. Sure the DNR likes individual help but they are more efficiant when usergroups as a group work with them. I have seen both sides of this story.Also with the DNR a LOUDER voice is heard/more pull to get things done on how the users want. The DNR will do what they want without userbased interaction

Whats needed is a single multi user based organization per area to fight the issues on hand.Plain and simply