• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ORV park investors needed

Gibby, this is great. I love the idea and wish you the best. I suggest putting a portfolio together with a plan, revenue stream (remember timber sales as a source too), investment options (%), etc. You will obviously need to get the permit issue worked and make sure zoning or whatever obstacles on the land permit side, noise, neighbors, etc are worked before any investing, not after. Look for rocky hilly areas, not lowlands, or water sites. They are usually cheaper too. And I would think bigger than 50 acres. You can always downsize and if you had a pay to play trail system along with the mud bog area, it could add more sources of revenue.
Once you put that together, go knock on Randy's or ARB's door and give them naming rights. That alone might pay for most of it.
I agree bogging is big and there is a huge group of people locally that are into it, but trails provide diversity. Comps are great and can bring in big bucks if the right one is landed, but they are only likely to be 2-3 per year. A CORE type event is cool, but interest would die off if there was one every weekend. Even if it meant a little further out, I think people would come if it was done right. Provide for camping (or maybe some is nearby) and it could be a great regional destination ORV park. We do not have one of those here in the state. Most places here, you run in a day and go home.
Good luck on this, I really hope you succeed. I wish I was able to help more but I don't have that kind of money right now. But I'd be willing to help in any other way I could.

Last edited:
i got 20 bucks on it!:D ...i also agree that this is an awsome idea, i wish everyone good luck on the project and any laboe work need, i will be willing to help, just dont have alot of cash

i would check out some of the land auction sites. I was looking around there last summer and their are some places listed with lots of area.

i saw your post on pirate and someone mentioned grants that may be available. In case you are interested my girlfriend is a grant writer and can do research about what grants are available as well as writing the proposal. I believe the latest grant that her customer was awarded was in the 400k range.

Thanks for the support and input. I've learned a lot with the experience with my own land and our club events. I know the PNW4WDA has the contacts and connections to get this rolling AND a grant writer would be a hugh help.

Don't know if this thread is worthy of a sticky, but it'd be nice to keep it available so that we can keep it on the forefront of people in the area. We'd want local people involved and this has become one of if not the top BBS in the northwest.

To make something like this work on a shoestring budget requires volunteers, even if it's a for profit endeavor. I can't see this being feasible without local involvement of a ton of volunteers and donations.

Here's a basic list of some of the professional people that we'd need to put together a solid plan and portfolio. If you know anyone in these areas that you could convince to volunteer or significantly cut their fees, pass on the info to me.
1. Wetland biologist
2. Surveyor
3. Environmenal attorney
4. Business attorney
5. Mortgage broker
7. Accountant
8. Real estate agent

These professionals would be required to put find appropriate property, evaluate the feasibility of the property and deal with the legan and land related issues that may come up. If we can get these people to volunteer then we're down to the purchase of the land and site development costs.

Next, we'd be looking for
1) heavy equipment and operators
2) A gravel pit to supply fill, rocks, etc
3) Construction company to construct facilities such as bathrooms, snack shop, shelters, etc.

Obviously there's a LOT of people out there with connections, friends and family that they could work on and of course we can find volunteers just from the community for the manual labor. But again, to make this fly it would need a much labor donations as possible.

I will start researching what grant avenues might be aviable. If anyone else has insight into grant options, please get the info to me.

This may take a couple of years to put in place as the right piece of land in the right location, at the right price is critical.

This needs to be handled by a not for profit org.that way you can set up a way for people to donate online and what not,and not get taxed and stuff.it might take a while but if you get 20000 people to donate $20.that would just about cover it.then money from events and entry fees would cover taxes and ongoing maintenance.

Find land in an area where more land could become available later.timber tracts,clear cuts,etc...

It needs to be far away too.look at all the great motocross tracks that have since been shut down and developed over.20 years ago they weren't near anything.progress has a way of taking over everything in the end.

binderbound said:
This needs to be handled by a not for profit org.that way you can set up a way for people to donate online and what not,and not get taxed and stuff.it might take a while but if you get 20000 people to donate $20.that would just about cover it.then money from events and entry fees would cover taxes and ongoing maintenance.

Find land in an area where more land could become available later.timber tracts,clear cuts,etc...

It needs to be far away too.look at all the great motocross tracks that have since been shut down and developed over.20 years ago they weren't near anything.progress has a way of taking over everything in the end.

That's why I'm thinking that the PNW4WDA would be a great avenue for this. Get on a fund raising campaign... Find enough people to raise the initial capital so that when land is available, so is the money.

I have an agent looking from properties. We're searching anywhere east of Hwy 167, north of Hwy 410 and south of I90.

So far the PNW has only been able to pass on info an agencies that deal with government owned land. It is possible to get the work funded through them if we can find government owned land that theyd let us use. I'll be doing some research on that end as well.

What about the Million or so acres that Weyerhouser sold to the Hancock Group that is out by Greenwater, Not so sure about mud bogs, but some of that area is pretty gnarly and has some huge rocks. Maybe some sort of lease option would be available.

Jaydog said:
What about the Million or so acres that Weyerhouser sold to the Hancock Group that is out by Greenwater, Not so sure about mud bogs, but some of that area is pretty gnarly and has some huge rocks. Maybe some sort of lease option would be available.

That's what i'm talking about...some kind of lease/use agreement with a timber company...not as much needed to start up (purchase) then more of the cash could goto the improvements needed....You could also get into the whole saving the enviroment thing cause now we are on private owned land and not out hurting public lands :; ...another option would be to include a short coarse event venue...Now that the Baldwins own CORR and hold 2-3 races in So. Cal a northwest sweep for an event or two is not outta the question....................I'm with ya GIBBY.......:cheer: ...."Build it and they will come"...:cheer:

Dale, Joe Gaylor told me about this thread. I'll look into the financing feasability. I know we can finance up to 40 acres improved but I'll ask around about larger tracts and NFP groups (financing NFP groups might be challenging. There could be seasoning issues)

Phil

albino 94LTD said:
Dale, Joe Gaylor told me about this thread. I'll look into the financing feasability. I know we can finance up to 40 acres improved but I'll ask around about larger tracts and NFP groups (financing NFP groups might be challenging. There could be seasoning issues)

Phil

Thanks Phil. You can email me personally at [email protected] if there's something private, but I'd like to see as much of this stay public so everyone can see the process and can get involved where ever they can.

You never know when someone may be able to step in at some point when they see an opportunity to contribute.

Dale, I know someone who could be a potential investor, and has a motorsports background... but I'd need to go to him /w more than "wanna front some cash?"... As this develops, if you come up /w some sort of proposal or information to provide potential investors I'd be happy to pass it on, or set up a meeting, etc.

J

Avanteone said:
Dale, I know someone who could be a potential investor, and has a motorsports background... but I'd need to go to him /w more than "wanna front some cash?"... As this develops, if you come up /w some sort of proposal or information to provide potential investors I'd be happy to pass it on, or set up a meeting, etc.

J

I think a meeting in about a month of so, would be good. I don't know that we'll have a property in mind yet but I should have a global portfolio put together with an outline. It would be a long way from complete as the size, cost and location of a property would be dependent upon the amount of capital available. So much can also change depending on the desires of the investors. i.e. a motor sports investor may want a bike track, because he's into motorbikes. With enough investment capital, he/she might be able to make that demand...

If anyone else is interested or has an interest, let shoot for a mid-august or early September meeting. With summer vacations and such, after labor day may be more practical.

Gibby said:
Given the frustrations of recent events, resulting is the cancellation of 3 popular off road events, I am seeking interested investors in purchasing an appropriate piece of land in the greater Seattle-Tacoma area with the prime target area being around Buckley-Enumclaw and north. My preliminary research shows that large tracts of land are available at a price that is feasible for such a project.

I would like to contact serious investors interested in looking at the feasibility of this project to create a permanent ORV for 4x4 use only.

My vision is for a purpose built event site close to the population areas, suitable for hosting rock crawl, mud bog and similar events. I would like to explore the feasibility of day use/vs event use and what it would take to make such a site profitable and useful.

The initial cost estimates for such a site, including land purchase, development, studies and permits is $500,000. I'm looking for 4-5 other investors with suitable capital. Smaller investors are also welcome but we need 4-5 principals to make it happen.

I am interested in everyone's comments/suggestions/ideas about what they'd like to see, pros and cons or such an event site.

Given the continued challenges of hosting events on private land the ever increasing pressure by environmental activitist to close down our activites, it appears that purpose built sites are the wave of the future and we need to consider these options before they're shut down as well.

Anyone with a serious financial interest, please email me personally at [email protected]. I am interested in private and corporate investors. I'm hoping that we can encourage corporate investors to support such as site with capital and advertising dollars. Getting companies on board like ARB, Randy's Ring and Pinion, 4 Wheel Parts and others, can transform this idea from a vision to a feasible reality.

Dale Gibbon

Send me a coppy of your business plan with assosciated financials please.

We're not really there yet. I'm in the gathering data stage but I need interested people to get involved and help out. I need 4-5 primary people to get interested and help out with the research, the business plan and the financials.

I realize that we're going to need to develope all that, it's just too early in the game. Just the cost of the land at this point is still a large variable. Purchasing vs leasing for example. In a case like this, setting up financials is almost impossible until we can find a piece of land that is suitable. The only thing we can do is work up a price range on what we're looking for.

If you're interested in helping to put this together to see if we have a viable project, PM me and we'll hook up.

Just a thought, but I would talk with Kapowasin about a long term lease with them retaining timber rights.

They have been open in the past to uses on their land.

Along the lines of 'just a thought', but it seems that 'private property' ORV areas are the prevelant areas back east. If'n you could track down some of these, and talk to the owners..... you might find out how they set them up with regards to investors, original property owners, etc... Wouldn't hurt to have the insights, so that we don't fall into the same pitfalls.