• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ORV Park.......Where?

NotSoPC

Ok so I just looked at some other threads and did not see what I was looking for so I am asking.

If a person were to open an ORV park with camping, rock gardens, rv hook ups, covered space to repair your own rig where would be the best place for it so people from all around the sound could use it easy? It would be gated and open year round for a fee (not what this is about by the way). Events would be held there and it would also have dirt bike/quad trails. What amount of land would be good for this?

Before you start yelling that this is a repost or saying that it will never happen or that we need 1,000,000 acres of land stop. I know of a person who has the funds and is pissed that areas are being shut down and was thinking that we need a ORV park that is not owned by the gov.

Side ? would it be possible to buy reiter pit? Would they even sell that land?

I've yet to figure out why people even ask others on this board this question. No one will ever give you a serious answer about what you would want on the land it's all about why you can't do it, Or why its not feasable or they won't insure you. But hey good luck on another banner orv park nightmare thread. :corn:

I think finding what his budget would be, and somehow having insurance/waiver's signed to be legally on his property (so if people don't sign it, they are trespassing/can't sue?)

What about getting in good with the Indians. Maybe tribal land would be better suited legally speaking.

I've yet to figure out why people even ask others on this board this question. No one will ever give you a serious answer about what you would want on the land it's all about why you can't do it, Or why its not feasable or they won't insure you. But hey good luck on another banner orv park nightmare thread. :corn:

:haha::haha::haha:

Yeah no ****! I can't wait for Peanuts long winded opinion on this topic again:rolleyes:

You can NOT legally waive liabilty in washington state which is why you dont see more places like this. Then you factor in "the salmon" and your pretty much ****ed.

Its doable. I used to be part of a club down in new orleans that ran what was basically "their own" atv park. Technically, it was gov't land, and the army corp had finally say, but we had grant money to rent dozers and then used volunteer labor to create/maintain trails. There were signs posted that the place was a "use at your own risk" park, and while there was the occasional accident, the most they could do was come after the club, not the individuals in the club, but that never happened.

I believe there used to be a mud run in Orting once a year that someone put on in their own field. I want to say it was the "oh my god, the salmon!" groups that got it shut down, not the "someone is gonna get sued" lawyers. Or maybe the city made him get a business permit and then denied the permit or something, I cant remember, it just sucked.

Google HighLifter park in east texas. That was just opening up as I was moving away from the area, but I still get the occasional event flyer from them and they are getting pretty big as a private offroad park now. I think they might even be doing full size rigs now, and not just 4x4 quads and utes.

There is also a privately owned sand drag track down in SW WA, but again, the local city rulemakers are trying to close them down, not the "someone is gonna get hurt" groups.

If a guy could score 20 or 30 acres (or more obviously), maybe a retired quarry, and managed to show the local city officials that it will bring money into their town, post a few "use at your own risk" signs, and the EPA doesnt get all over your case, then its absolutely doable.

Ive been looking at doing this for a while now. Been checking on rules N regulations with different countys.. So far lewis N thurston seem to be the best with open land for some what cheep. And limited rules.. Their are a few that are better. N oregen seems to be good in spots to but i dont want to drive 3-4 hours every weekend.

Contact the timber companies. They have lots of land that could be leased. There is still a lot of large land chunks in the Mt Rainier foothills on both sides of the mountains. Somewhere between Hwy 2 and Hwy 410 up in the foothills provides good terrain, favorable weather changes (snow in the winter). If you go just east of the mountains you have much drier conditions but much lower population thus reduced usage for anyone hoping to make a little revenue. Making an ORV park profitable is just about impossible but if someone is in a philanthropic mood...

As far as it making money there are ideas as to that such as a place for users to get a bite to eat, a recovery rig to pull out those who are broke to the point that they cant drive, and maybe a small offroad shop that would have parts, nuts, bolts, locks and such. Work partys would be held to clean up, modify, the trails and build new ones. Those who help with the work partys would get fed and a free day or two in the park as well as help to keep the over all cost down. There would be trails out in the trees and also a rock corse that (we hope) could/would be built as to attract pro rock crawling comps. The plan is to keep it with in 100 miles of lynewood (sp).

well, there is always the old saying... build it, and they will come.

I know the diesel guys are always looking for a sledpull/mud drag/sand drag location, but they are few and far between in the NW. That same track could be turned into a barrel course for the jeeps on other weekends. Some sort of badass rock crawl, maybe a couple crawls with different vehicle and skill levels (and a big overhead crane that you can charge ppl for removing their rig if they get completely hosed and cant self recover! theres your profit).

You'll get three groups using the place. those that want to help, those that want to just show up and go use it and go home, and then finally those that want to use it, but then bitch that you didnt do something right, or didnt do it their way, but dont want to do anything to help.

You can NOT legally waive liabilty in washington state which is why you dont see more places like this. Then you factor in "the salmon" and your pretty much ****ed.

Hmm..

so, even if you sign a legal contract stating you cannot sue if you get maimed on somebody elses land.. you can still sue?

WTF?

What about getting in good with the Indians. Maybe tribal land would be better suited legally speaking.

Per Pokey, the native Americans don't much like us. There's a story behind the Yakima Ridge runners "Mud Bowl" not happening anymore, maybe Pokey will share.

I'm all for this! I think the place to start is to contact the parks in other states. It seems like every other run article in the mags is at some private park.

well, there is always the old saying... build it, and they will come.

I know the diesel guys are always looking for a sledpull/mud drag/sand drag location, but they are few and far between in the NW. That same track could be turned into a barrel course for the jeeps on other weekends. Some sort of badass rock crawl, maybe a couple crawls with different vehicle and skill levels (and a big overhead crane that you can charge ppl for removing their rig if they get completely hosed and cant self recover! theres your profit).

The idea is to have events of many types and keep it a good place to bring the family for a fun week end and will have plenty for all rigs from stock to full on pro rock buggies.

You'll get three groups using the place. those that want to help, those that want to just show up and go use it and go home, and then finally those that want to use it, but then bitch that you didnt do something right, or didnt do it their way, but dont want to do anything to help.

For those who want to just bitch are of no worrie for the fact that its not them we would build for but rather us and those willing to be a part of the future of our sport.

:awesomework:

Hmm..

so, even if you sign a legal contract stating you cannot sue if you get maimed on somebody elses land.. you can still sue?

WTF?

I believe this is correct. I know it is for WA, but I think various versions of this exist in all states.

Basically it says that even tho you have someone sign a waiver holding you harmless should they get hurt, the law itself says that the waiver is unenforceable on its face.

Now, that same form can still be used in your defense, as it shows you informed the participant that they are doing a dangerous thing willingly and knowingly, and in that sense, a lawsuit on their part is somewhat frivolous.

The catch we had to deal with in new orleans when we were building the atv park down there, was that there are various degrees of culpability in the event of an accident. If we were found to have been responsible for an accident, then waivers and signs dont mean crap. By responsible, I mean building a jump, over a pit, and placing spikes in the bottom of it. Thats just dumb, and if someone got hurt, we would be totally on the hook, regardless of the waiver.

However, if we had one way trail signs, and someone ignored them and ran the trail backwards and had a headon with some kid, then it becomes the rider's fault, unless he can prove we failed to mark the trail as a one way or some other way to pass the blame for his stupidity.

Everything we did had to go thru a "what if someone does this" and we had to plan, or put up signs accordingly.

Thurston Mason county is what I had found to be good sources of old logging land just search 100 acre plus parces on any real estate site than cross it with the county accesors website. As far as insurance goes good luck that is were I ran into a road block.

Look at Cadillac Ranch, it is a family dairy farm that they are turning into an ORV area.

How do skaters have skate parts? They get hurt all the time on city property. And a privet park you sign a waver. What would be the differance between the to?

How do skaters have skate parts? They get hurt all the time on city property. And a privet park you sign a waver. What would be the differance between the to?

There's a big difference right there. Maybe we could get the city to build us a offroad park?:corn: