• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ORV Tags Pros and Cons

Eric

I know its been discused but I am not really finding the answers I am looking for.

Pros to ORV Tags?
Cons to ORV Tags?

I am thinking about converting my 4runner to ORV Tags. I have a full title so I think the conversion would be easy. I am just trying to decide if I want to go that route.

My Cruiser is ORV tagged, the only real con for me is not being able to run on FS roads and stuff so you are a little more limited where you can go (or you just have to plan out your run a little better at places like Evans so you can stay on approved roads), but for me the pros outweighted the con. It saves me a lot of money every year and I don't have to worry about bumper heights and tire coverage.

Con-Need to be "street legal" to go snow wheeling on most FS roads, meaning if you are ORV tabbed, you can get a ticket.

Pretty much the biggest Con right there.

I have owned two ORV tagged rigs.
Cons
With the ORV tag you are restricted to areas where you don't need to be street legal to play. So all FS roads are out (with the expection of some of the roads up at Evans and Walker).

Insurance I had trouble getting the coverage I wanted for my rig through MY agent, some agents may work with you more but because I was tagged as
an ORV I had to do alot more paper work.

If you ever want to re-title it as a street rig you have to go through the WSP.

Pros
Cheaper
Could run Propane with out having to pay the extra fees to the state for running propane.
Didn't have to buy an Oregon tag to use the dunes

It seems like I recall Binder or someone saying they were able to dual licesne their truck with an ORV and Plates. When I tried to do it I was denied, and had to give up my original title in the process.

Oh and I'm sure ole Choppy will post saying "i haven't bought tags since they stole our NOVA funds" maybe since I've already posted that he wont feel the need. :kissmyass:

FWIW - My Jeep is dual registered. I have ORV tags and an ORV registration as well as my street plates and street registration. I didn't have any problems getting it done at the licensing office here in Vancouver.

It seems like I recall Binder or someone saying they were able to dual licesne their truck with an ORV and Plates. When I tried to do it I was denied, and had to give up my original title in the process.

Tht's been one of Money Marks rants in the past. The deal with that is yes you can currently get both but a law has been put in place to close this loop hole. Goes into effect in July IIRC....No more double plates and ORV tags.

As for the topic....I don't see much of a pro to ORV tags. I've kept my plates over the years mostly to keep insurance simple...There is a con to plates though. It's too easy for others to ID your rig if you're doing something that maybe you're not supposed to.:;

I don't understand the logic and reasoning why the state has not made it simple to double register like they do in oregon...

My biggest reason was when I bought my Toy most of the emissions **** was gone or not working. I live in a RTA zone:booo: and I couldn't transfer the title until I passed emissions. It's not street legal and getting tested every other year was going to be a PITA..............

Ditched the plate and made it an ORV. No emissions needed. Allstate didn't seem to care that it was an ORV.

It's not unless specifically authorized. Generally not.

Yup I know people that were cited for riding on milk creek road several years ago. After the big washout a few years ago they rebadged it as trail 590 (I think) passed milk pond so now you can ride or drive whatever you want up there. Worked out perfect, I used to get nervous running from camp up to the rocks the short way before but now it's no problem. :D

Yup I know people that were cited for riding on milk creek road several years ago. After the big washout a few years ago they rebadged it as trail 590 (I think) passed milk pond so now you can ride or drive whatever you want up there. Worked out perfect, I used to get nervous running from camp up to the rocks the short way before but now it's no problem. :D

Yup! Camp at milk pond and hit the trails from there.:awesomework:

Yup! Camp at milk pond and hit the trails from there.:awesomework:

We camp at the end of lilly pond trail either in the big meadow or in the clearing just down from it depending on how big of group we expect.

So to keep this on subject what is the big deal with ORV tags? Is it so you can legally run without having to pass emissions or be street legal or is there something to it? My friends down in OR just register their junk at friends or families house that is in a non DEQ area. Can't you guys do the same?

I really thought about registering w/ my parents address but in this litigious society I prefer to keep all my **** separate just to be safe.

If I could have got the title in my name I would have kept the plates and just let the tabs expire when the next test was due.

We camp at the end of lilly pond trail either in the big meadow or in the clearing just down from it depending on how big of group we expect.

So to keep this on subject what is the big deal with ORV tags? Is it so you can legally run without having to pass emissions or be street legal or is there something to it? My friends down in OR just register their junk at friends or families house that is in a non DEQ area. Can't you guys do the same?

Yes ORV's do not have any emissions testing :awesomework:

I am still plated myself...