• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pitman Arm?

You could cut it off

you could try some heat but you may take out your seals.

MADDMUDDER said:
Can you get this off with out the special tool?:mad:

pitman arm pullers are like 10-15 bucks, and the shucks ones, even though poor quality, are cheap, and have a lifetime warranty. i have broke mine a couple times. got a brand new one right now :D

We have a big farking one at my work. When my Shucks special snaps, it's borrow from work time. Oh, and warranty the shmucky one.

Regarding pickle forks, heat and such; my experience is the lower steering box's seal inevitably fails right after BFH and heat.

I have taken a cuttoff wheel to the pitman arm and sliced thru on two sides, and they just fall off. It's an ok approach when you have no desire to reuse the pitman arm. Just make sure to not cut into the box, seal, or sector shaft.

Tony

TreeClimber said:
We have a big farking one at my work. When my Shucks special snaps, it's borrow from work time. Oh, and warranty the shmucky one.

Regarding pickle forks, heat and such; my experience is the lower steering box's seal inevitably fails right after BFH and heat.

I have taken a cuttoff wheel to the pitman arm and sliced thru on two sides, and they just fall off. It's an ok approach when you have no desire to reuse the pitman arm. Just make sure to not cut into the box, seal, or sector shaft.

Tony

dude, the shucks puller, or a bigger puller is the best option IMO, you can always use, or sell pitmans, and its dumb to cause heat damage to a box when you dont have to.

MarcW said:
dude, the shucks puller, or a bigger puller is the best option IMO, you can always use, or sell pitmans, and its dumb to cause heat damage to a box when you dont have to.

I whole heartily agree. But I've seen too many bent and broke pitman arms to count. And if she's snapped or big time bent, a cutoff wheel isn't a bad alternative. But like I posted. I shuckie pull 'em first. If it snaps, then I borrow the one from my work. I've never cut off one that was still useable. T.

If you are doing the pittman arm on your TJ STOP!!!!

You don't need to do a pittman arm unless you are over 4.5 inches of suspension lift.

But for the record, I had to cut my pittman arm off.

like this

pittmanarmremoval.jpg

I've pulled a couple without much trouble.

I use a 2 jaw puller and get the pitman arm under a good chunk of pressure. (3' cheater pipe used)

Then I take a hammer and double tap wack the side of the pitman arm a couple times.

Each time, the pitman arm came flying off.

crash said:
nOPE--- And I have broken a few "special" tools getting them buggers off :D

Yeah, I remember taking mine off in your shop.

I'm sitting their with the impact tightening down... you say, btw it might !!!BANG!!!! never mind.

:redneck:

i use antisieze on my splines -- keeps things from sticking, but since its still an interference fit i've never had it come loose.

the tool i bought from harbor freight is too damn big to pull tie rod ends or my pitman arm...just grabs the very outer edge. and their pickle forks are worthless shiat, so soft that a tie rod end turns them into a pile of shavings.

kyle said:
i use antisieze on my splines -- keeps things from sticking, but since its still an interference fit i've never had it come loose.

the tool i bought from harbor freight is too damn big to pull tie rod ends or my pitman arm...just grabs the very outer edge. and their pickle forks are worthless shiat, so soft that a tie rod end turns them into a pile of shavings.

For tie rods, I get the nut backed off a 1/2" or so, then break out the trusty hammer and wack the side of the tie rod.

The vibes will cause it to pop loose.

WAY easier than a pickle fork or puller.

If you pull the power steering box off with it real carefully..... It will fit in the trash can. Then you can go full hydro :flipoff: