• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pokeys rebuild

Sorry, that housing is loooonng gone. Regarding the outboarding of postals, remember that the postal D44s are wider than the housing you had (and if I recall correctly) wider than the 86 CJ D44 also. Plus, the CJ style D44 had equal length axles, but an offset pinion. The postal D44 had a centered pinion, but unequal length axles.

And DO NOT build a high pinion D44. In my lowly opinion, it is too weak for wheeling.

Tony

And for what it's worth, I could easily be wrong on that stuff because it's reaaallly old info from my brain.

all things to keep in mind. thanks for the info Tony.

remember that the postal D44s are wider than the housing you had (and if I recall correctly) wider than the 86 CJ D44 also.
:eeek:

Ours supposedly had a postal 44 rear when we got it, and it was *narrrow*. I wanna say 49" WMS~WMS. Narrower than a narrow track CJ.

let me put it this way... Since I have known you, you have broke more 60 parts than I have ever broken 44 parts:eeek: Something tells me its not a problem with the axle itself but maybe a driver issue:haha:

No Issues here :)

and I doubt it :cool:

Jim a rev rotation 44 rear will hold up just fine without a doubt. In fact with your driveline angle I would almost insist. The 44 I have is the one you didnt want. I have it still though.

lets all support bad advise.... :awesomework:
If the tire size allows it, it's great advice. Beefiest 44 you'll ever find is a front, same tube as a rear 60 (3", 3/8" wall, or 1/2" wall if you get a HD housing).

Not so sure about reverse cut, however.

Jim a rev rotation 44 rear will hold up just fine without a doubt. In fact with your driveline angle I would almost insist. The 44 I have is the one you didnt want. I have it still though.

If the tire size allows it, it's great advice. Beefiest 44 you'll ever find is a front, same tube as a rear 60 (3", 3/8" wall, or 1/2" wall if you get a HD housing).

Not so sure about reverse cut, however.

When tire size approach 36s or 37s (or even with 35 boggers), it is my lowly opinion that the reverse cut gears are of insufficient strength to handle the stresses.

Think about it for a minute. Reverse cut looses 30 Percent (or so) of the strength of the gearset. That's like upgrading to a D35! At our last club meeting, one of the guys was bemoaning a failed D44 HP in an acquantainces' rig.

When tire size approach 36s or 37s (or even with 35 boggers), it is my lowly opinion that the reverse cut gears are of insufficient strength to handle the stresses.

Think about it for a minute. Reverse cut looses 30 Percent (or so) of the strength of the gearset. That's like upgrading to a D35! At our last club meeting, one of the guys was bemoaning a failed D44 HP in an acquantainces' rig.

Largest tire I am likely to run would be a 35. That said and the way I like to drive the RR would most likely be fine. However I havent had any issues with the standard rotation thats in the jeep.(other than bending the housing rolling) If it can be straightend (most likely) I will be using it again since this is going to get expencive real quick and I dont want the damn thing in rebuild mode for a year:booo: I did go measure up the postal frame today and it is the same width as my cj (29.5) the rear axle in the posal is 1" narrower than my cj and it looks like there will be plenty of room to mount the springs outboard (as on the postal) without getting into the larger dia. area for the wheel bearing. I really do appreciate all the info and imput but remember guys this is just a trail rig not a buggy on 40s

I did go measure up the postal frame today and it is the same width as my cj (29.5) the rear axle in the posal is 1" narrower than my cj
Boy that's narrow...

remember guys this is just a trail rig not a buggy on 40s
Yup, that's the angle I'm coming from too. We run a CJ5 with a 55" rear Dana 44 fabbed from a low pinion front housing on 36's.

I recommend a standard rotation in the rear unless you get one of the high $$ Hi-9 or 60 units. I have seen a few reverse 44's ruin a weekend on rigs with 33's. One of em was mine. JMO.

progress finaly:cheer: Got the new frame home and willl begin the stripping tomorrow:cheer:

Attachments

• new frame1.jpg
    new frame1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 326
got some more done on the frame. managed to clean off about 100 pounds of bumpers and un needed brackets. Cut the first 4" off of the front rails and added 6" of frame tubing to get back to 84" wheelbase. tomorrow night I should be able to get the straping on the bottom rail and the fishplates on the sides. For some reason the neighbors dont like the sounds of progress at night(chopsaw) :booo:

Attachments

• extframe.jpg
    extframe.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 286
  • HPIM0476.JPG
    HPIM0476.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Boy that's narrow...

Yup, that's the angle I'm coming from too. We run a CJ5 with a 55" rear Dana 44 fabbed from a low pinion front housing on 36's.

Not that I recommend running a HP44 in the rear, but Mike Dixon ran one in the rear of his buggy for a couple of years with 38" TSL/SX tires. He sold the rig to a guy in california who ran it for a couple of more years with no problems. It had a TBI 4.3 to toy 5 spd. and dual cases as well.

Not that I recommend running a HP44 in the rear, but Mike Dixon ran one in the rear of his buggy for a couple of years with 38" TSL/SX tires. He sold the rig to a guy in california who ran it for a couple of more years with no problems. It had a TBI 4.3 to toy 5 spd. and dual cases as well.

That thing did hold up well...

Glad to see your working on the new rig Jim. Keep up the good work. If you need me to help you paint it pink, just give me a call :awesomework:

tonights labor of love:eeek:

Attachments

• frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 238
  • front spring mt.jpg
    front spring mt.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 237

Latest posts