• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Power steering cooler

xjmarc

Wannabe Bouncer
Does anyone see a problem using a transmission cooler on my power steering? I'm on the broke side and have a tranny cooler. Fluid was close to boiling this weekend.

Is there a difference in a ps cooler and trans cooler?

I know a lot of people say to not use plate style coolers in a ps system.

I've always used the biggest tube and fin style that I could fit in front of the radiator...

IMO you want the least restrictive cooler possible on a steering system. This is why I don't like a plate cooler and lean towards a tube and fin with a fan.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

I'm no high performance baller, but I've had great service out of a tranny cooler mounted in front of my radiator. Just a modified Sag pump on a Yota 2F motor.

If you mount it horizontally make sure it flows bottom to top so air will not get trapped.

Assuming since it would take some strange fittings to put in before the box, most of you guys are running the coolers after the box on the low pressure side correct?

Cooler is typically on the return side, if not always. I've never seen a cooler on the reassure side.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

I do have a question, sorry to hijack, didn't wanna start another thread., but has anyone used 2 coolers for hydro steering? Or is this askin for trouble? Always wondered that. I figure as long as there's no air It would only help. But half the time I'm wrong. The other half I'm almost right.

kushKrawlin said:
I do have a question, sorry to hijack, didn't wanna start another thread., but has anyone used 2 coolers for hydro steering? Or is this askin for trouble? Always wondered that. I figure as long as there's no air It would only help. But half the time I'm wrong. The other half I'm almost right.

Restriction on the suction side is bad. Go with one of these:

http://www.wideopendesign.com/Product/10462/PSC-12-Heat-Sink-Cooler-Kit-8-Fittings.aspx

If need more cooling, go with a longer one. A 12" on front only on Solo Buggy works good.

kushKrawlin said:

I run 2 coolers on mine. I have a deral heat sink cooler mounted inside the frame that flows to a small plate and fin cooler in front of the radiator. Might be overkill but I haven't had a problem with my steering since I added the second cooler.

kushKrawlin said:
Yea that's what I have now. Like john posted. Apparently I need to overdrive or some **** my pulley. Lord help. If it ain't bed bugs it's piss Ants.

Mount your fluid reservoir to a bracket off of the engine so that the reservoir moves with the pump if there's any chassis flex. This will keep the supply hose bending / restricting gravity feed to the pump. I just fabricated something simple that bolts to the front of the head. I went through 2 pumps in a little over a year before mounting my reservoir to the engine.. it's been about 3 years now since the mount change and my pump is still working like brand new. Same thing with my friends rig.. after 2 or 3 pumps he made a mount off the engine and he's not had a problem since either.

Neal3000 said:
Factory pump?
Yes. All is good except havin to rev it up a lil to turn, at idle it will stall the dam motor.. Not cool really. Sob is great when movin tho. I just dont understand. I read and read and come up with not much. Except maybe pulley size. Then I wonder, whats the right size pulley?

I've been down that road, tried a smaller pulley but it makes the pump scream at higher rpm's

PSC pump or something similar will cure your problem

Neal3000 said:
I've been down that road, tried a smaller pulley but it makes the pump scream at higher rpm's

PSC pump or something similar will cure your problem
I think it is more of engine idle problem! It idles low!

al1tonyota said:
I think it is more of engine idle problem! It idles low!

haha yeah I was gonna say what's your idle rpm and what's your ps pump pulley dia. Friend of mine runs a 400sbc on pane and I swear that thing idles at about 300rpm.