• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

power steering pump Q's

Cole1

Ok guys I need some help with my power steering pump and lines. The pump I have is out of a 79' celica and the box and lines are out of a 89' pickup. The pressure line(from pump to box) is leaking like a mofo:mad: The line is flared and im having a hard time finding out if the fitting on the celica pump is for a flared line. It looks like it is but im not certin. I was looking at the lines on the comp at napa but it was hard to tell if the line going into the pump is suppose to be a flared fitting.

If anyone knows or has a link for me it would be appriciated. I want my junk on the trail and not in the garage for snow wheeling:awesomework:

Thanks, Cole

When the fitting is all the way threaded in it is leaking out of the end, not from the threads. Does that make sence? Ill get my camera and snap a pic fo you Brad.

Ok its leaking right here at the end of the fitting Sorry for the crappy pic:mad:
truckbuild070.jpg

truckbuild071.jpg

It looks like you have a copper washer under that fitting?

If so, it is keeping the flare from bottoming out and making a seal.

Can ya move/rock/swivel the line or is it real tight and can not move at all.

Is there a adapter that the fitting screws into like 21mm?

Take that line an pump to williams oil filter on Puyallup ave worst case scenerio ,friends grand parents own the place They will set ya up :good people down there. always help me out with this kind of BS,

Can't remember if it was the celica pump, or the calica box, but one or the other had some sort of bushing that sat in the fitting...but yeah, I agree, get the copper out of there...

It looks like you have a copper washer under that fitting?

If so, it is keeping the flare from bottoming out and making a seal.

Can ya move/rock/swivel the line or is it real tight and can not move at all.

Yeah theres copper washers on it. There wer not there on the old one but the old one was leaking from the threads so I tried using them. the fitting is tight thou and I cant mpve the line at all.

Is that RTV on the fitting?:haha::haha::haha:

Yeah its RTV :haha:I was getting pissed cause it was leaking all over the garage again and im getting tured up cleaning the **** up

Is there a adapter that the fitting screws into like 21mm?

Take that line an pump to williams oil filter on Puyallup ave worst case scenerio ,friends grand parents own the place They will set ya up :good people down there. always help me out with this kind of BS,

Thanks for the tim Mike im gonna run out and take the copper washer out really quick and see if that changes anything. Man this is becoming a headache, at least its in the garage and not in the couple inches of snow and the wind.

Yeah theres copper washers on it. There wer not there on the old one but the old one was leaking from the threads so I tried using them. the fitting is tight thou and I cant mpve the line at all.

Get rid of the copper. Tighten it down a till it wont move then back it off till it is kinda hard to swivel. Then twist it back and forth and lap/wear in a good seal contact and then tighten it up and see if it still leaks.

When its off look inside and see if it has a raised cone for the flared line to sit on. It needs on to use a flared style line.

If it has no cone insert then it will never seal and will need a line off of a v6 pump like your runner has with a banjo bolt and then you would use the copper washers again.

I have used flared and banjo lines on the same pump. Ya just have to make sure the pump has the cone for the flare or remove it with a pick to run a banjo style line.

It should work with the fitting you have you just need to look inside the pumps bulkhead fitting for the little brass cone.

Well **** I pulld the washers out and looked at the flare again and i didnt see any cracks or anything. When I looked in the pump it looked like it had a cone for the flare. I did notice that it feels/looks like the line isnt threading in as far as it did on the old pump thou:eeek: It kinda feelis like the line is bottoming out before its making the seal.

Can I adjust it alittle bit my letting the adapter pice out or will it not seal that way either?

Well **** I pulld the washers out and looked at the flare again and i didnt see any cracks or anything. When I looked in the pump it looked like it had a cone for the flare. I did notice that it feels/looks like the line isnt threading in as far as it did on the old pump thou:eeek: It kinda feelis like the line is bottoming out before its making the seal.

Can I adjust it alittle bit my letting the adapter pice out or will it not seal that way either?

The fitting is deeper than the end of your line..

So your line will mash the hex into the the adapter fitting, correct?

If so poke something in there to see how deep it is and compare to the fitting on the line.

Whats the washer thing inbetween the copper washers in the pic?

Can it go away and not affect things? If so it might get it in there deeper.

The fitting is deeper than the end of your line..

So your line will mash the hex into the the adapter fitting, correct?

If so poke something in there to see how deep it is and compare to the fitting on the line.

No its the other way around. There is still threads on the line side but when the line is tight you can still wiggle the line alittle bit like its not actually tight. Oh and there was two washers in the pic and now there both off and its still leaking.

Some toyota hard line fittings are threaded all the way down the fitting and some have a nipple on the end of the threads.

Look to see if your pump has threads all the way down inside.

If your fitting has threads all the way down it and you need one with a little nipple on it you can file off the last two-three threads and install it.

Does it spin right in and then tighten up quickly? Or does it get tight the last couple turns like its not hitting solid?

It spins right in then tightens up quickley.....Im gonna check if the threads are all the way down or not and see if I can get away with filing off the threads.

Well a little update on this. I found a very very small hair line crack at the flare causing the leak. It looks like a new line is about a week out were ever I call. Im off to see how much it will be to just have one made:booo: