• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pre ride check list?

Woods5

I was wondering what everybody does for going over y'all's crawler before you go ride? Kind of new too the rock crawling and was looking for some advice. A check list or a list of stuff y'all do will work. Just always feel like I am forgetting something. Comments advice will be much appreciated!

Check-

under hood fluids
hoses
belts
brakes/brakelines
driveshafts/ujoints/bolts
steering studs (high steer)

That's a good start.

NOTHING is more frustrating than riding with someone that has maintenance related failures.

Everyone will break something eventually, but don't be "that guy" that constantly breaks, holds up the riding, and depends on others because you only maintenance your rig in the woods.

:dblthumb:

I always download some sort of "note" app for my phone because I'll always lose a paper one. I would always forget camping stuff like chairs and sleeping bag. Or my helmet/goggles. Get an app that gets saved in the "cloud" and you'll have it with every phone so you can keep updating it as the years go on.

AW10 said:
I always download some sort of "note" app for my phone because I'll always lose a paper one. I would always forget camping stuff like chairs and sleeping bag. Or my helmet/goggles. Get an app that gets saved in the "cloud" and you'll have it with every phone so you can keep updating it as the years go on.

Really? An App? WTF has this world come to that we need an app for camping/wheeling.

To the OP, make sure your fluids are topped, bolts and nuts are tight, fire extinguisher is there, have basic tools, spare parts for commonly broken parts, cage over your head, beer cooler is full, and seat belts. Throw in a helmet for the big boy moments. Make sure your rig "feels right" and go have fun. Leave the cell phone at home.

I usually just take mine to the dead end cut a few donuts and full throttle launch on pavement over curb. Fill gas and go ride. :dblthumb:

Seriously all basics said above and the rest you will learn as you ride and things break. May only be mine but in my LS I have hella problems keeping engine bolts tight. :dunno:

AllGoNoShow said:
Really? An App? WTF has this world come to that we need an app for camping/wheeling.

To the OP, make sure your fluids are topped, bolts and nuts are tight, fire extinguisher is there, have basic tools, spare parts for commonly broken parts, cage over your head, beer cooler is full, and seat belts. Throw in a helmet for the big boy moments. Make sure your rig "feels right" and go have fun. Leave the cell phone at home.

Thank you for opening my eyes. Its all making sense to me now. Its obvious technology/phones shouldn't be apart of wheeling and camping. We should all read the news paper to find out when the next wheeling event is, buy a road map to find the place because apps like GPS are for pussies. Get our horse and buggy and take weeks going across states to get to the park. Then when we get there light a fire for smoke signals to call a meat wagon when someone falls off their horse 1/2 way up the hill because they didn't put the saddle on correctly. Why are we using these stupid things like a computer and the internet to get on this website called hardlinecrawlers to even be talking about wheeling?

Instead of setting a reminder on my phone, Ill tie a string around my finger to remind me tomorrow to delete all my apps like my alarm clock, calendar, Youtube, GPS, and all the other stupid **** like that.

Also, to everyone who has used the photobucket app or any photo app for that matter to load pics on hardline, or the taptalk app to navigate through hardline easier.... Just look at what your making this world come to.

When someone pulls up in an RV that is basically a house on wheels pulling a buggy with fuel injection, any type of shock that is better than leaf springs, and a radio in their buggy, does your head explode?

Sorry woods5. Not trying to take over your thread.

I just look for "shiny parts" AFTER the last ride when it goes on the trailer....and look for "wet spots" on the trailer BEFORE i go on the NEXT ride.

AW10 said:
Thank you for opening my eyes. Its all making sense to me now. Its obvious technology/phones shouldn't be apart of wheeling and camping. We should all read the news paper to find out when the next wheeling event is, buy a road map to find the place because apps like GPS are for pussies. Get our horse and buggy and take weeks going across states to get to the park. Then when we get there light a fire for smoke signals to call a meat wagon when someone falls off their horse 1/2 way up the hill because they didn't put the saddle on correctly. Why are we using these stupid things like a computer and the internet to get on this website called hardlinecrawlers to even be talking about wheeling?

Instead of setting a reminder on my phone, Ill tie a string around my finger to remind me tomorrow to delete all my apps like my alarm clock, calendar, Youtube, GPS, and all the other stupid **** like that.

Also, to everyone who has used the photobucket app or any photo app for that matter to load pics on hardline, or the taptalk app to navigate through hardline easier.... Just look at what your making this world come to.

When someone pulls up in an RV that is basically a house on wheels pulling a buggy with fuel injection, any type of shock that is better than leaf springs, and a radio in their buggy, does your head explode?

Sorry woods5. Not trying to take over your thread.
molaugh molaugh molaugh

Re: Re: Pre ride check list?

Beer. Never wheel without ensuring sufficient beer supply.

I honestly don't check very much unless I notice something to start giving me problems on the previous ride or notice a substantial leak.

But seriously....never wheel with too little beer. Nobody likes a bum.

Im addition to fluids, I put it on the lift and move the tires in and out to check wheel bearings, rod ends, high steer arms, anything that can move, then I grab both drive shafts and make sure there is no movement at the joints. Then a good once over or all the welds and attachment bolts.

Then load 'er up!

Perform typical maintenance like packing wheel bearings, checking diffs for water in the fluid and greasing all fittings just much more frequently than youre daily driver due to the conditions we run in.And just look at everything while youre doing this. Doing preventive maintenance like this will also help you spot problems before they leave you stranded. My two cents for what its worth.Before every ride I spend some time checking fluids and maybe rub on the rig a little bit , talk to her,let her know shes the best rig out there . Then load up plenty of beer and beat that bitch.

grcthird said:
Toilet paper, nothing worse than having to rip your favorite boxers, socks, shirt sleeves, off to clean your ass. :****:
That aint no ****. No pun intended.

1- When I first got into this, I was wheeling my DD. Don't do that.
2- Stay away from mud and sand, I used to run in deep mud 'til I had to replace EVERY DAMN SEAL in my Bronco. Don't do that.
3- Always pack enough 'baccer, food, beer, gas, jackets for a 3am extraction. I forgot once and ran out of all of 'em, don't do that.
4- Everything mentioned in previous comments, do that.

These are some smart fellers on this board, learn from our mistakes. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

Ya toilet paper : big dogs trip 2010, I have a roll of **** tickets in my rig after a healthy night of :drinkers:, all the guys are busting my balls about having toilet paper on the trail ....not an hour later .... " uh....hey Nate ! Can I have those **** tickets! Got an emergency here!" Not to mention it also works for a rag checking fluid or whatever else

Re: Re: Re: Pre ride check list?

Rockwells607 said:
Ya toilet paper : big dogs trip 2010, I have a roll of **** tickets in my rig after a healthy night of :drinkers:, all the guys are busting my balls about having toilet paper on the trail ....not an hour later .... " uh....hey Nate ! Can I have those **** tickets! Got an emergency here!" Not to mention it also works for a rag checking fluid or whatever else
Real talk. I was out on one of my first wheeling trips and a buddy pulled a roll out from under his seat, I laughed, til I needed some an hour later.

Not sure if anybody else said it, but check your first aid kit, or get one. We had a situation arise at work a while back, went to the first aid kit and everything in it was so old that it all fell apart. Needless to say the company checks everything monthly now.