• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Rusty, turning a rusty turd into a slightly less rusty turd...

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
About 3 years ago I picked up a turd of a FJ40, which I named Rusty. It was a scary rust bucket with lots of hack work done to it, but it ran, so I was happy. I wheeled it a few times until broken parts and fear for my life forced me to park her. A few easy repair jobs turned into many, many larger projects, it has been sitting since December

She rolled out of the shop for the first time in 2 years today, I have a few more things to wrap up, but she is pretty much ready for a shakedown run...

P1060221.jpg

P1060222.jpg

P1060223.jpg

P1060225.jpg

Who picked out your seat harnesses? :D
I picked the blue and the wife picked the pink, gotta keep the wifey happy. :redneck:

more info on that rear cover please. Where did you get it?

The diff cover came from Ruff Stuff. Last time I was on his site, I didn't see them on there. I know there were a lot of fittiment issues with them, I had one of the first few made, I had a lot of problems getting mine to fit, I had to do a little of clearancing inside the cover, and other were having problems as well, so he might have just gave up on them.

Well I guess 2.5 years later it is time for an update. I have wheeled the piss out of her and there really isn't any straight sheet metal left on her.

I swapped out the rear springs with some XJ springs, running 100" wheelbase now. Here is what it looked like after that (I was skidding logs with it in this pic):
151b50c2.jpg

I dovetailed the rear, you can see that here:
P1070870.jpg

And now I got the 39.5x13.50 Iroks that I have wanted for years. I really need to figure out how I am going to afford some 30 spline Longs... :redneck:
b3f51ca7.jpg

5c358ded.jpg

Wow, I forgot about this thread...Looks good Les---:cool:
Whatever happened to the Sami? Is it still around?

Sold it back to my dad. :redneck: Its sitting out back, waiting for me to do a spring over with stock springs on it to ditch the chitty stiff lift springs. It will find its way down to AZ to my parents retirement place in about a year and half.

Nah, they are overrated. :redneck: The rockers are junk so I just never took time to make any, I'll probably get around to it some time, haha.

Here's some pics and video from out at Elbe a few weeks ago...

P1000945.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lMqprJXrfrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wIhy72RQUwE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bought some bling, see if you can figure out what I got... :redneck:

84d83612.jpg

I tore apart the front axle on the Cruiser and found that my short side inner was on its last leg...

Some how the birf pushed the c-clip past the groove, it took a chunk out of the shaft.
88615a98.jpg

All the splines are rounded and a few more chunks were gone...
a556a174.jpg

Good thing I was replacing everything. :redneck:

So time for an update...

She is now running on propane, haven't taken her out for a run yet, but she is running awesome:
ca832058.jpg

My press fit crank pulley fell off again, found it had a crack in it, so I found another one, it was only a single pulley, so I cut apart my old one and rigged up another pulley to bolt on. I also drilled and tapped the crank so now it is bolted on as well...
0e216165.jpg

I also enclosed the back, made a frame out of 1/2" square tube and skinned it with 22ga sheetmetal. I still need to mount the tail lights, had them for like 4 years and never got around to mounting them.
9671c311.jpg

8226d515.jpg

e51a7d87.jpg

7b635d81.jpg

Also ditched the old POS Ford powersteering pump that has been on it since I got it and got a Trail-Gear high pressure one, huge difference! I cut down some 3"x3" square tube and made a mount for the pump to slip into, then I was hack up the Ford mount and weld the new mount to that.

7888e686.jpg

4a95c5d7.jpg

I guess its a good thing your buddy reminded you to put some tail-lights in it. Looks good.:awesomework:

Latest posts