• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project "Secret Squirrel"

So the next thing was the steering. I was going to add another U-joint to the mix but I came to the conclusing there just wasn't enough room for another one. So I went and cut the bearing assemble off the hub and popped it back into the splines. I have found from past rigs that you have some side to side movement in the splines on the orbitral so doing it this way has proved to work extreemly well.

Here is the shaft now..

jack470.jpg

So at this point I thought I had the steering prblem licked. Well I went to try it out and it was still binding up except I could feel the steering shaft and there was some lateral movement in it which told me thats not the problem.

This is where I started playing around. At first I thought it was the orbitral binding up interanally but I had come to the conclusion that it wasn't--or at least thats not what I saw. So I went and cracked the pressure hose loose at the orbitral and there was hardly anything coming out at idle. I then tightend it back up and turned it lock to lock---and didn't get the typical noise from the pump that you would expect.

Then I went and wound the motor up/down and then all of a sudden the thing started turning good. So I went and got the air out and did some hot laps--this lil thing really zings good. So now the steering is working perfect.

So for now we wil keep and eye on it and see what happens....

could it have been some sort of vapor lock that got released when you cracked the hose......

took me hours to read this whole thread! nice ride...........and i'm sure i don't need to tell you how nice it looks:redneck: ............built for the flavor flav of this thread too!! MR HYPE MAN

I asked, what's with all the grease?

Not what color it is.

You don't like to put any grease on areas that have metal to metal contact with any form of movement?

I prefer to have grease there due to spline contact.. Mine has been that way for 5 years now and the splines still look good...

You don't like to put any grease on areas that have metal to metal contact with any form of movement?

I prefer to have grease there due to spline contact.. Mine has been that way for 5 years now and the splines still look good...

Actually, I've never put grease on mine, been working fine for 5 + years now. I was just curious.

Actually, I've never put grease on mine, been working fine for 5 + years now. I was just curious.

I call it one of those better safe than sorry deals... I saw one that had dust down in the splines from the splines. But then again how its located can also play a part in it....

I call it one of those better safe than sorry deals... I saw one that had dust down in the splines from the splines. But then again how its located can also play a part in it....

Yep, mines up under the dash...Jack's may see a little more water and mud being down on the frame.

Fawk man that is a long thread. Everything looks great. I just sat and read the whole thing through, and it all looks great. You do some very quality work, and I can say I learned a few tricks in the process of reading your buildup. Again, very nice work, and I'm gonna go rest my eyes after all this reading.

The way he drives--I would think the same would happen if it was under the dash :haha: :haha: :haha:

What evear do ya mean? :redneck:

If any one sees a little red bump stop I know whom it may blong too.:haha:

Damn i just went through this entire thread.Wow just wow what a nice build this rig is off the hook.I dont know if i missed it or not,but what length did you go with on the rear links and are they the same length top and bottom.Thanks ,again super outstanding job crash.I got started on stripping my frame last night I hope my rig will be just a fraction as cool as this project.

Last edited:
jeepless sorry I didn't get a chance to say seeya but we left around 7pm yesterday.Thank's for letting me drive the buggy was a kick in the pant's.but you know I'm gonna need to drive it when it's has all 4 wheels grabbing not just 2:haha: 1 frt 1.5 rear..thank's again:awesomework: