• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project: Trail & ERROR

if your going to go through the trouble of putting a 609 up front.. why wouldn't you?

Ok, you built one.. probably out of parts you had laying around.. kudos.. I would do the same if i had the parts laying around.

But not everybody does.

so, your running a stock 9" case up front?

I'm looking at teh REALITY of it.

ok, sorry to thread jack Anglefly

Okay where the **** did a 609 come into this????:haha:

I aint made of fawking money:eeek: I am using axles That I have laying around:awesomework: Which just happens to be a HP dana 44:awesomework: I am Using that axle main because I am running all for running gear. . . 400m, C6 tranny, 203/205 combo both ford units:cool: That way I have all 31spline inputs and 32spline outputs:cool:

i have a LP chevy 44 but I would have to have it swapped to drivers drop:rolleyes: So with the time frame and money goals that I have that just ins't the route I'm taking:beer:

The other thing with front burns INMNSHO is to really get the fronts spinning and turn hard into the burn.If yer gonna burn'em...BURN'EM and make it count!! Also strategically stopping the rears up against or on something to aid it in NOT moving helps a ton!

Anglefly.....I think youve taken on a mighty challenge and are gonna miss a summer of wheelin.I'd put some cash into yer yota and wheel the piss outa it.

My .02 time.....

1. Forget the rear steer. You don't need it. You don't want it.

2. Put in cutting brakes at any cost. Two masters with two pedals.

3. Don't mess with the three link. Inverted 4link front and rear.

4. Copy, copy, copy. Don't try to be original.

5. Learn the steps in which a buggy shop would take to build their cars.

6. Ask advice from MANY, use the advice from a FEW.

7. Just build it. It's not going be perfect. Accept that fact.

I run a single rear line lock and a spool with a D300 so I can front dig. It works, works better in the soft/slick stuff, but not so well on rocks. After watching mauler with cutting brakes and detroit I saw his burns are much more effective, but my setup does work.

Thanx guys Atleast I have seen all your rigs and Know for a fact you guys know what works and what doesn't:awesomework: I really really want rear steer:cool: After watching Money and the lines he took through Outlet that sealed the deal:beer:

As far as missing a summer of wheeling. . . . :haha: Yeah fawking right:beer: The yota is getting 4.7t-case gears, longs, PRP suspension seats and new suspension:cool: I ordered the seats last night I'm so excited its gonna be like riding on a LAZY BOY:cheer: The 4.7gears showed up on Monday:masturbanana[1]: So thoes should be in by next weekend:awesomework: The longs I ordered but had to cancel for money reasons at the time, but I reordered them last night:beer:

So dont worry I will be out on the trails all summer:awesomework: But Maybe I will have the buggy done at the end of summer:rolleyes: Doubt it but hell I guy can dream right????:haha:

i think ur in way over your head here, the hendrix chassis idea is the best thing i've heard for you to do. the questions you are asking already tell me you dont know what it takes to build a complete rig. im no older than you and have built a few chassis and complete rigs but i've been around fabrication and auto repair since i was born. id hate to see you go broke trying to build this, and $4500 isnt even close to enough to build what ur planning. Again look into hendrix chassis. Just my .02$

i think ur in way over your head here, the hendrix chassis idea is the best thing i've heard for you to do. the questions you are asking already tell me you dont know what it takes to build a complete rig. im no older than you and have built a few chassis and complete rigs but i've been around fabrication and auto repair since i was born. id hate to see you go broke trying to build this, and $4500 isnt even close to enough to build what ur planning. Again look into hendrix chassis. Just my .02$

If he was REALLY smart he'd sell off all that crap he has stowed away, take the $4500 cash and buy a properly built and complete F-Toy. :cool:

And start wheeling it this weekend.:; That's what I'd do. :awesomework:

I will agree with buying a prefabbed chassis, or buying a complete car that you can mod for you liking. When I go buggy I will buy a used one...

I would vote for the f-toy route as well.

Also if you were to attempt building a buggy you should consider designing it on CAD first. If you jump into a pile of tube with no plan you will be lost. It would suck to spend countless hours and end up with $4500 worth of metal scrap.

If he was REALLY smart he'd sell off all that crap he has stowed away, take the $4500 cash and buy a properly built and complete F-Toy. :cool:

And start wheeling it this weekend.:; That's what I'd do. :awesomework:

Alright. . . what about the poison spider chassis????? I haven't done much looking into prebuilt, but that sounds like a more reasonable route:awesomework:

I have the tube and bender already so maybe I can just go slow and steady with it and maybe take 2 or 3 yrs to build my own:redneck:

So could somebody maybe shoot me some websites to scroll through and see whats up????

Alright. . . what about the poison spider chassis?????

Turnkey= $100,000

Full custom turnkey < $150,000

You might want to consider using the Toy you already have, you could probably have a complete f-toy for somewhere near your budget. Or you could spend your 4500 on a bare chassis and sit in the garage making vroom vroom sounds for a few years.

I vote formula toy chassis, then mod it up the way you want, unless you want to take it to comps, then keep it "legal" if not... do whatever. :awesomework: quickest way to get back on the trail, would look sick with the fullsize too IMO:cool: Building from scratch will take a lot of time...

For what little it's worth, I tend to agree with some of the others. Building a buggy isn't cheap, not at all, and takes a ton of time. Mine is about as low budget as they come, and I've got close to 800 hours in it already. I had the engine, trans, one t case, d60 rear, and the start of a tube chassis frame. Please don't get me wrong, I am not discouraging you in the least. Building this thing has been some of the most fun I've had in a long time. And the finished product no matter how screwed up it is, is mine. I hate to say it though, and mine is costing me more than I had planned. But $4500 isn't hardly a drop in the bucket as to whats needed. I've spent that already, and my axles are empty, no wheels, tires, 4 links, air shocks, hydraulic steering, and the rest of the unseen stuff you forget about. Go for it, just do the research and make sure you can afford it, I've seen so many projects get dumped half way done because of money or loss of interest. That's where I got the tube chassis, a drag car I had started til a tree fell on the body.

From the little research I've done, you should be able to pick up a professionally built tube buggy chassis for $2800-4500 (avg.). Talkin' about a bare chassis, not anywhere close to a roller. While this will by no means make for a cheap project, at least the foundation is already created ( the major engineering, bending, welding done for the most part). S&N would be a good place to start since they're local. It seems like a relatively simple and solid buggy can be professionally built for about $30-35K. But being able to do some of the work yourself would of course be a considerable financial advantage since it sounds like you've got the mechanical inclination, some basic experience with fabrication and the tools. Even with a bare chassis, there's still a lot you would get to do but at least it's primarily just adding on to a properly crafted base structure (over-simplified, I know).

I think you should start bending and building and see what you come up with. If you have axles, eng, trans, dual cases and maybe a donor rig for pedals, steering, etc. You should be ok. If you have the tools and tubing now just start building and see how far you can get. You have a toyota to wheel when you get the urge, so just do it and when you need more money you will make more money. I wouldnt get hung up on a specific budget and start building on the cheap. just my .02c. I think you will be amazed how far you get with all the stuff you already have. Build it with a d44 front and swap it out for a 60 later, just get to building.