• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project trailer winch

Nuzzy

So I recently acquired a Warn A2500 ATV winch. Good buddy of mine got this thing years ago to put on his trailer but never got around to it, so it's just been taking up space. I got the winch, cable, and battery wiring included. Already have a spare hook and remote, and I'll be picking up an old M8000 solenoid box in a few days for pretty cheap.

I had thought about permanently mounting the thing to the trailer, but that would pose a few issues. For one, I'd worry about hitting it when tossing in bigger rounds of wood. Another is I still kinda have an idea kicking around the back of my mind to be able to mount it in the back of the jeep to help lift/drag logs like a 3-point. Thus, I decided on receiver mount. Also, in keeping with the theme of the low dollar project, everything is scrap I have laying around. Even if not ideal, I'm making it work :redneck:

Cute lil thing (Yes that spreader bolt will get replaced)

DSC08037Medium.jpg

Later on I'll have to cut a notch out of the bottom board on my wood side front section

DSC08038Medium.jpg

Started by cutting apart an old hitch with my favorite (read: only) metal cutting apparatus

DSC08040Medium.jpg

I wanted to make sure the assembly could fit into any standard hitch so that dictated how far into the C channel I could place the square stock. A plate was added for reinforcement. And later after the pic more plates were added.

DSC08042Medium.jpg

Not having any 2" ID square stock laying around, I did have some scraps of 2x3 box. Cut a notch in one and one side off another.

DSC08047Medium.jpg

Then so there wouldn't be any play (and to add extra beef :cool:) I burned in some 1/4" plates on either side making the inner dimensions perfect for a receiver.

DSC08049Medium.jpg

Stuck em together, burned em hot with 6011, and ground the welds to make it prettier once painted so it looks all like one piece. Here is about where it'll sit.

DSC08053Medium.jpg

Tomorrow I may add some fish plates over the seams I butt welded. Then I'll burn the whole thing on and add some additional gussets after I bug my neighbor to use his drill press :redneck:

Last edited:
My stepdad mounted his with just two tabs on the trailer, his is a Bulldog tilt, with a roller on the front edge of the bed. That way the winch can swivel up in line when the load gets closer, or when the bed is tilted, so it doesn't put a bending moment on the mounts. His is mounted on the tongue, just behind the jack.

Well, it took some thinking, but I finally got the M8000 solenoid box to work. The smaller winch only has two posts marked 1 and 2 whereas the M8000 winch uses three posts marked F1, F2, and A. After reading through some wiring diagrams, I figured I could just take the "A" wire from the M8000 box and ground it to the batt through the quick disconnect. However, while searching those diagrams I realized the control box was missing a smaller ground wire. Opened it up and found that none of the solenoids had ground wires going to their coils. So I wired some up real quick, cleaned up all contacts, and finally got 'er working.

Solenoid coils not grounded

DSC08055Medium.jpg

Made this lil guy

DSC08054Medium.jpg

That'll work

DSC08056Medium.jpg

High quality testing station :redneck:

DSC08057Medium.jpg

And the mount as it currently sits

DSC08060Medium.jpg