• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Propane help!/now ignition esplaining

mckeddie

Not gonna church it up. I know zero about propane, turbos, and anything w an msd ignition in place of a computer. So naturally, I trade my buggy off for 1with all of the above. Yes, I'm a dumbass/glutton for punishment.

Buggy is a rear engine 2 seater running a 2.0l 16v with transaxle out of a dodge neon. Turbo I believe is a t3 out of a Chrysler conquest, and not sure what the msd box is, but it's a pretty shade of red, and blunted between the seats on the firewall.

Ignition switch on buggy is mounted in exactly the worst place in the buggy for it be. It got hit at least 20 times today while driving, killing the buggy (it is now top of list of changes to be made, today was first trip out in it to see what changes are needed).

Anyways, cruising down main trail, doing about 20 mph, lose shoulder harness strap hits switch killing buggy, I go to restart, and hear a god awful squealing noise. Buggy will no longer start. Motor cranks over fine, and is getting plenty of spark. Ended up having to push buggy back up into the trailer. We tried everything we knew to start it. Tried bleeding the lines, new tank, pushing the little button on the round hoot nanny before the mixer.

When I have the buggy in the trailer, and all doors closed, I was trying cranking for awhile. Not once did I smell propane. I'm positive it's not getting fuel.

Any suggestions where to start? What should I be looking for. My old buggy was propane, so I know little, but with the turbo added in, I have no clue where to begin. Turbo seems to be ok.

Re:

No help here, just wanted to show appreciation for your honesty and reference to the "hoot nanny."

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Re:

tyldyl12 said:
No help here, just wanted to show appreciation for your honesty and reference to the "hoot nanny."

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Was gonna call it a doo hickey, but wasn't sure if that was technical enough of a term. Lol.

Re: Propane help!

Is it a blow through or draw through design?. My yota is draw through and takes for ever to first fire after sitting for a while. I would trace your line from the propane tank to motor. You should come across a solenoid with 2 wires make sure they are wired up and trace them to be sure. One is hot and one is ground. If wires look to be all good i would assume the solenoid took a dump. For an easy check remove solenoid from equation and should fire since u have spark.

I didn't see anywires anywhere. I'll check again tommorrow.

This thing fires instantly every time. My old 1took forever.

His mixer is on the throttle body and turbo is before the mixer, and there's no lock off valve. We pulled the hose off between the vaporizer and mixer and there was propane coming out of the vaporizer when we hit the purge button. I didn't hear the squeal, but only thing I can think of is a ripped diaphragm in the mixer.

Got any pictures of the fuel system so I can see which components you have? Often if an engine will not start it is due to a vacuum leak somewhere and it could be external or internal. If there is fuel at the vaporizer but the engine will not draw it in then there is a lack of a vacuum signal to open the secondary diaphragm in the vaporizer.

altfuel1991 said:
Got any pictures of the fuel system so I can see which components you have? Often if an engine will not start it is due to a vacuum leak somewhere and it could be external or internal. If there is fuel at the vaporizer but the engine will not draw it in then there is a lack of a vacuum signal to open the secondary diaphragm in the vaporizer.

I don't know much about propane except it makes great steaks. :rolf: But, I do want to say I really appreciate your continued posting on our forum. You are really taking vendor support to the next level. I sure hope people that need propane and propane accessories get them from you. Thanks again for your support.

JohnG
Admin.

Well that sure sucked to find...

Fired up, and running 30 seconds after I opened the trailer door damn it!

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 105

For reference though, here's my setup. Not sure if it's pieced together or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 107

Where I thought it may be leaking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 98
So now, I'm on to the pretty red mystery box mounted between my seats. It's the msd box for the ignition. Are these tuned/programmed specifically for this engine, or are they plug and play/wire for anything? IT has some neat looking dials that I want to start turning bc, well, I'm like a 4 year old and can't just not touch something, specially when there's a chance it could screw something up.

I can only assume that turning the dials will instantly give me 50 more horsepower.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 106

mckeddie said:
Well that sure sucked to find...

Fired up, and running 30 seconds after I opened the trailer door damn it!

Thanks for the help!
:wtflol: I don't feel bad for showing up late to help push now lol :flipgotcha: where is that and why didn't we see it before?

mckeddie said:
So now, I'm on to the pretty red mystery box mounted between my seats. It's the msd box for the ignition. Are these tuned/programmed specifically for this engine, or are they plug and play/wire for anything? IT has some neat looking dials that I want to start turning bc, well, I'm like a 4 year old and can't just not touch something, specially when there's a chance it could screw something up.

I can only assume that turning the dials will instantly give me 50 more horsepower.
Kind of a plug and play. It comes with different wires and directions for different motors but that's the same one I have and the dials are the rev limiter. And I can tell you that 3800 is not high enough. Ha

Directly under the mixer. First thing I saw when I flipped the tank down. Literally 30 seconds after I opened the door it was running. Blew tge plug off it.

altfuel1991 said:

What John said x's ten! Tell Charles to get to work! lol