• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane tech?

Rockwells607

finally got the pane kit on my buggy...ran it today and i am quite pleased with it....runs very nicely however when i shut it off for 5 minutes or longer....it cranks and cranks and doesnt wanna start back up...if i hit the purge button on the regulator it fires right up and runs great....like i said, the buggy runs great...just seems odd or like something small mite be wrong with a seal or setting on something that it wont fire after bullshittin for a few minutes :dunno: yankster told me that it may be timing? add more timing than it was on race gas?

do you have heater lines hooked up??? where is the vacuum line hooked up at the lock off valve... it should be below the throttle plates, like directly on the manifold like you would hook up a brake booster, not like you would hook up the distributor...

yes heater lines are hooked up and i am not currently runnin a fuel shut off because the one i got is vaccum operated and my motor doesnt produce much vaccum, my buddy 383 on pane does not have a fuel shut off as well and his starts just fine :dunno:

I have propane on mine and it does the same thing .. I tried new gaskets, vacuum leaks ,everything .. I called a
guy with another propane kit he sells and there is a adapter u can put in the line that hooks to a power source that shots the propane in first ...he swaers it will work

if i hit the purge button it fires right up and runs great....i guess its not a big deal but just seems like something simple since my buddies that i wheel with doesnt do it...

I think they make a push button cable for hitting that button on the regulator. That's what the holes around it are for I believe. Not a fix, but if you could hit that button from the cab you'd be in good shape.

thats why im not real worried about it, the reg. is just out the front window of the buggy and not hard to reach...just hafta pop my seatbelts off and hit it...

Several questions come to mind.
Are all the parts new?
What about the throttle plate? Has it been checked to make sure it is flat? It sounds like a vacuum problem. I have seen it numerous times with used mixers that will start when cold but not start when hot due to metal expansion.

You definitely need to be using a lockoff valve. The vacuum hose needs to be connected to port vacuum, not manifold vacuum. This means it should be connected to the mixer where there is always vacuum above the throttle blades. It takes about as much vacuum as drinking through a straw to open a vacuum lockoff valve. It also has a filter in it to clean the fuel passing through. I know there are guys not running lockoffs but you run a chance of the vaporizer leaking due to trash in the fuel.

We do have an electric "start" valve that will prime the engine. Most of the time we only have to use those on engines with a dual mixer and vaporizer setup because of the large plenum or if the engine has a really large cam.

Also, propane is a high octane fuel but forget what you know about race gas when setting up a propane engine. The two have completely different burn rates. You do not need more than 30 degrees total timing(base and centrifugal) and all of it in by 2500 rpm.

If you want you can give me a call and we will figure it out and post the solution online.

Buddy Gamel
Precision Sales & Service, Inc.
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827
205-591-2266
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

BIG FORD........... did you forget i beat that big block ford with that little small block chevy 2 years in a row :driving:

i just got my kit on to mine has the same problem but when i hit the primer button it still wont start i can take and move the diaphragm up with my hand and it will start :dunno:

If you are spinning the engine over and you do not see the air valve in the mixer moving up and down there is a vacuum leak somewhere. When you have to raise the air valve by hand to start the engine that means there is not a strong enough vacuum signal to operate properly. This is assuming all parts are new.

Buddy Gamel
Precision Sales & Service, Inc.
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827
205-591-2266
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

all parts are not new the it came off my cab truck. was on a 350 before now on a 377 a little more came shaft. ran fine on it. my lock off works fine must be a vac leak.i hope.