• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pros/cons of ORV tabs?

But you do need an ORV permit or Discovery Pass to use the DNR managed trails or park at a DNR managed ORV trailhead.

Either/or? This is why this **** is so confusing. So if I have ORV tags on wheeling rig I don't need Discovery Pass AND more of my investment goes to maintaining ORV areas? I'm IN the industry and recreate often and can't keep up with this ****.

Either/or? This is why this **** is so confusing. So if I have ORV tags on wheeling rig I don't need Discovery Pass AND more of my investment goes to maintaining ORV areas? I'm IN the industry and recreate often and can't keep up with this ****.

The short answer is if you have an ORV permit and ORV use is legal where you are at, then no Discover Pass required.

The DNR does not always agree with that statement, but it is the law and we have won in court three times now and never lost.

Why is it so confusing?

Maybe because the members of the legislature don't have a solid understanding of our sport and rely on bureaucrats that might know even less to explain things to them.

There is currently a study under way by the Ruckelhause Instute (or something like that) to attempt find ways to simplify things.

Sarcasm Mode = ON

If spending about the same amount as for an ORV permit and getting somewhere between zero and $2.40 in return gives you wood, tug away. :masturbanana[1]:

Sarcasm Mode = OFF

I'm all for pay to play. When the disco pass came out I acutally thought it was a great idea. Until I heard how much money came back to ORV recreation. And I do pay to play. I come from the east coast where most every ORV park is privatized and you have to pay to wheel.

Out here current law states if I have current street registration on my vehicle I can wheel. NW Forest pass for federal land and Discover pass to wheel DNR land.

Whatever that amounts to in the land "owners" pockets I honestly don't give a crap. If it cost $15/day for me to go play I would pay that too.

I'm not skirting any system, I pay the state what they ask for. You are preaching to the choir man.

The short answer is if you have an ORV permit and ORV use is legal where you are at, then no Discover Pass required.

What about the vehicle I used to drag my quad to the trails? Can't ride my quad from Auburn to Gold bar.

Now I have to have a discover pass.

And the way the legislation was put out I have to have a discover pass covering EACH of my vehicles. For me that equals 3 discover passes. One for the tow rig, one for the jeep, and one for my wifes car and my DD should I choose to go hiking or shooting on DNR land.

That's $90 per year. Plus the dealer fee at the DMV where i get my passes.

I think the DNR is getting their moneys worth out of me.

There is currently a study under way by the Ruckelhause Instute (or something like that) to attempt find ways to simplify things.
The have vanity license plates for every group and association under the State flag. How about we simply have a STREET legal license plate that also doubles as an ORV plate. Pay one fee (hopefully not too expensive) and it gets us in to ORV, Fed, DNR, State Parks, etc., while still being street legal. Make it in two sizes, one for Vehicles, the smaller one for the newer Side X Sides which are now legal on some streets, & dual sport bikes.

I think the DNR is getting their moneys worth out of me.

Keep in mind that your three d-passes net the DNR $7.20.
That is less than they see out of one ORV permit.

So if the intent is to fund ORV recreation, doesn't that make the d-pass a much worse return on investment?

The have vanity license plates for every group and association under the State flag. How about we simply have a STREET legal license plate that also doubles as an ORV plate. Pay one fee (hopefully not too expensive) and it gets us in to ORV, Fed, DNR, State Parks, etc., while still being street legal. Make it in two sizes, one for Vehicles, the smaller one for the newer Side X Sides which are now legal on some streets, & dual sport bikes.

It would be nice for the end users if we can make it work.

Multi-agency passes are being studied.

Long term equitable distribution of income is one of the big challenges.

As a group, we have less leverage than the major nonmotorized entities so we would be exposed to the politics that always surrounds the "adjustments".

The political manipulation of the gas tax portion of our NOVA funds is a prime example of how that goes bad whenever we let our guard down (and even when we don't).

What about the vehicle I used to drag my quad to the trails? Can't ride my quad from Auburn to Gold bar.

For most people and for now anyway, the D-pass works best for the tow vehicle.

Personally I have dual registered my tow vehicle, so no d-pass for that rig either.

For most people and for now anyway, the D-pass works best for the tow vehicle.

Personally I have dual registered my tow vehicle, so no d-pass for that rig either.

I have an OR ORV tab on my tow pig since we need one for certain dune activities, sand parking, recovery, etc. I still have a discovery pass for when I am in WA state. That's kind of a weird grey area. I probably am not required to have one since my truck is ORV "registered" but I just pay the 30 bucks to not have to deal with fighting a ticket. Plus I don't mind supporting the ORV areas.

Another thing to ponder if you prefer the d-pass over an ORV permit.

None of the $2.40 that goes to the DNR from each d-pass must be used to support motorized recreation. I have sat down with DNR management when they offered to show how they used the d-pass money. It gets co-mingled with other funds and there is no solid connection with on the ground results. Some goes toward payroll, but there nothing that proves that is payroll for staffing that benefits us.

On the other hand, from each ORV permit the DNR wins a bit over $9 in grant money that must be used for specific ORV related spending.

I have an OR ORV tab on my tow pig since we need one for certain dune activities, sand parking, recovery, etc. I still have a discovery pass for when I am in WA state. That's kind of a weird grey area. I probably am not required to have one since my truck is ORV "registered" but I just pay the 30 bucks to not have to deal with fighting a ticket. Plus I don't mind supporting the ORV areas.

That is the frustrating dilemma.

Follow the letter of the law and risk getting cited and have to go to court to prove that the DNR wrongly wrote you up.

Or throw money toward the government and get little in return other than the hope that they won't illegally hassle you.

Another thing to ponder if you prefer the d-pass over an ORV permit.

None of the $2.40 that goes to the DNR from each d-pass must be used to support motorized recreation. I have sat down with DNR management when they offered to show how they used the d-pass money. It gets co-mingled with other funds and there is no solid connection with on the ground results. Some goes toward payroll, but there nothing that proves that is payroll for staffing that benefits us.

On the other hand, from each ORV permit the DNR wins a bit over $9 in grant money that must be used for specific ORV related spending.

So...would it be possible for WOHVA to propose adjustments to the % split on funds for the Discover Pass? Or is that what the new pass study is going to figure out?

So...would it be possible for WOHVA to propose adjustments to the % split on funds for the Discover Pass? Or is that what the new pass study is going to figure out?

Thers is a WOHVA person taking part in the study.
WOHVA will be involved with providing input.
What they do with the input is something that I don't know if the people putting on the study really know at this point.

WOHVA and NMA were successful at getting the DNR share of the D-pass money raised to 8 percent before the original legislation was passed.

The DNR was OK with 7.5 percent and did not help with the effort to incress their share of the take.