• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PSC hydro ram ?'s

Grommit327

So I am getting ready to call up PSC and order some parts. I have a feeling they are just going to want me to send my ram in to have the shaft replaced but I am trying to get this going by next weekend. It looks like there is a cap with holes for a spanner wrench to remove it. Anyone ever taken one of these apart before...is it something fairly simple to do? I think I just need to replace the shaft and probably should do the seal since it had a side load on it.

I've had mine apart before. It was a bitch, I don't know if the end cap just was extremly tight or if it had locktite on it. I held the body of the ram in a lathe chuck and had to have about a long cheater on the spanner to get the cap off. Becareful putting it back together, it is easy to cut the seals when sliding the end cap back on the shaft.

Wellp I talked to Kelvin at PSC and of course they are going to be closed next week for EJS. He wanted me to send the ram in but no charge on the labor. He also offered to send out a new pump and pulley with the ram to replace mine that isn't working so good. Now I just gotta figure out how to get that old pulley off somehow...not much room in there.

Mine was a press fit unit...very tight at that. Kelvin at PSC said that most likely the pulley will break before it comes off...and offered to include a new pulley with the warranty pump.

Hahaha...Yep bent it right in half. :haha:

Actually the ram was still broken from when the 1 1/8 T/R pretzeled on me. Still can't figure how it bent because only one tire was wedged...oh well...don't think I have worry about that anymore :fawkdancesmiley:

Mine was a press fit unit...very tight at that. Kelvin at PSC said that most likely the pulley will break before it comes off...and offered to include a new pulley with the warranty pump.

Huh? Looks like PSC changed many of their products. The splined stuff isn't even on their web site. Now I wonder if they even support that stuff any more? Or maybe there is more than one company named PSC that makes steering stuff?:confused:

Rick, you must have some ooooooold PSC stuff, though I have heard of it, I've never seen anything but press fit from them in my 5 or 6 year's of installing PSC.

Grommit, it's just a hydro ram, it's a dumb part, there should only be 5 or 6 pieces to the whole thing. pull off the end cap, pull out the ram, check the seal, grease the end of new ram prior to stuffing it through the end cap, screw it back together, it's that easy.

Grommit, it's just a hydro ram, it's a dumb part, there should only be 5 or 6 pieces to the whole thing. pull off the end cap, pull out the ram, check the seal, grease the end of new ram prior to stuffing it through the end cap, screw it back together, it's that easy.

Word. I built rams for awhile and they are butt simple.

KRC uses splined pulleys and builds stuff for circle track, are you sure yours is PSC? They say the mind is the first thing to go... :flipoff:

Ben could be right, I am getting old.:haha: PSC, KRC it all sounds the same to me.:Stoned: :scratchhead: