• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

questions about buying trailer???

HOrunner

I talked to a guy selling a trailer. Its not currently licensed, but he says its got california plates. My question is, if i buy it can i just transfer it to washington plates at department of licensing, or will i have to take it to state inspections of any kind to transfer over. Also is there a certain spot for vin numbers on trailers to make sure the title match's up with it?

there should be a vin plate on the tounge somewhere. I would call the state patrol before buying to see what the current inspections are.

I tried calling, but closed on sundays ofcourse. Just lookn if anybody had delt with this before. Probably just wait and call tomorrow. Just sucks cuz they always sell fast,

I bought a boat and trailer with california plates and title, but the guy I bought it from was the leagle owner and had both of the titles in hand, he wrote up a good sale recipet and the transfer to washington title and plates went very easy, besides they mispelled the brand of trailer:mad: , oh well no bigie

It will have to go thru state inspection. Gather all your paperwork, find the existing VIN number (if there is one) and make sure there is no structural or electrical defects (lights). Its pretty painless, but in the SW WA area, there is a 3-4 month wait to get an appointment for inspection.

Oregon doesn't require boat trailer titles, so when I had mine done it took about 30 minutes for the inspection/paerwork. And she never even looked to see that my pretty new LED lights worked!

thats true! I forgot that!
IF you have a state DOT roadside scalehouse near you, go in, stop the trailer on the scale, and they will wiegh it for free. The paper they will give you is good enough for the DMV paperwork.

Ask Hip about trailers that aren't properly licensed/titled. Make damn sure you get a title for it, otherwise pass. Not worth the headache.

Latest posts