• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Questions about Naches

gotrocks

So my wife and I are heading up to the Naches area in a couple weeks with some friends and we've never wheeled there before. I've got a SN-Fab buggy and my buddy is driving a dove tailed FJ-40 on 42's. Obviously we aren't street legal and I've heard that you have to be street legal to wheel on the FS roads. We want to head up to Funny Rocks and do a little bit of crawling and neither one of us wants to be harassed by the forest service cops or sheriff.

So my questions are,

Are we going to get hassled for not being street legal?
How many trails would be fun with our buggies?
How dusty will it be up there this time of year?
Where can I get trail map to find the good areas?

1. I never have been in the past as long as youre tabs are current and you have a spark arrestor/baffled muffler
2.NONE
3.Dusty as FAWK:puke:
4 Forrest service or search the WWW

I don't have tabs. ITS A BUGGY. Thats why I'm asking. I do throw on my plates from my FJ40 but at the moment I don't have any hood or anything that makes it look like a FJ. I do have a muffler now whether or not they can see that its a spark arrestor is another question.

You MUST have a spark arrestor thats a #1 thing that they ticket for. any kind of straight thru type muffler will not fly it maust be baffeled. you can always add a supertrap to the end of your exhaust to make it legal

Yes you have to be street legal or you "could" get ticketed on the FS roads. A lt of the buggie crowd camps up on the 1701 road so their right across the road from the trail to the rocks. All of the trails have their fun some are easy and some more challenging depending on your rig and abilitys. Yes it will be dusty take masks or bandanas. You can order a map from the yakima sheriffs office or buy one at whistling jacks , squaw rock or the ranger station in Naches.

http://www.pan.co.yakima.wa.us/sheriff/orv.htm

1. I never have been in the past as long as youre tabs are current and you have a spark arrestor/baffled muffler
2.NONE

X2...
You could also get a map at a ranger station or buy green trails maps at a sporting goods store.

Here's some pictures of the rigs to get an idea of legality.
CIMG5316.jpg

DSC07023.jpg

Last edited:
You need at minimum, ORV tags and a proper muffler or spark arrestor.

What the law states and what they enforce are two completely different things.

Go have fun!

So my questions are,

Are we going to get hassled for not being street legal?
How many trails would be fun with our buggies?
How dusty will it be up there this time of year?
Where can I get trail map to find the good areas?

1 Probably not. Have valid drivers lic, valid vehicle plates, and stay off the paved roads (Hwy 410, and FS rd 19)

2 the upper portions of Kaner Flats is the funnest of the trail sections. Rocky Saddle is probably the second funnest.

3 really, really, really dusty

4 if you live/work in Bremerton area, you can borrow my map and take it up to Kinkos and copy it.

That said, why wheel Naches, when Rimrock is soooo damn close? RR is two or three times the fun (except for the rock areas for buggies)

I live in Walla Walla. My buddy lives in Seattle and is keeping his FJ at my house and I'll be towing both of them up there. I don't mind wheeling somewhere else I just don't know the area and thought I'd ask a few questions.

I've been down to browns camp and I was hoping it was an area like that. If Naches and the Rimrock area is dusty as hell this time of year we might head down the the Tillamook State Forest. Hopefully it wouldn't be as dusty down there.

2.NONE

I agree with all of these but #1 Even if you have tabs or orv and the cops see you on a forest service road you will get tickets in those rigs.
Like pokey said FS road 1701 at mile marker 11 you can camp and the trail to the rocks is just across the FS road.

To be honest I've only ever run into the LEOS at the rocks and ALL they ever do is look at the Supertrapp and check tabs then wander off. We camp up on Rock creek towards the top so not much road driving.

I agree with all of these but #1 Even if you have tabs or Orv and the cops see you on a forest service road you will get tickets in those rigs.
Like pokey said FS road 1701 at mile marker 11 you can camp and the trail to the rocks is just across the FS road.

This is just my experience the last couple years over there with the same sheriff.

For the legality it's kind of a crap shoot. It's definately illegal to drive a buggy on a FS road but like Jobless said what's legal and what's enforced are usually two different things. Been checked on the FS roads for tabs and spark arrestor and good to go. Also been told not to drive on Rock creek road. Been told it's OK to drive up Barber springs. Rock creek and Barber springs is the same road from opposite sides.:confused:

For the legality it's kind of a crap shoot. It's definately illegal to drive a buggy on a FS road but like Jobless said what's legal and what's enforced are usually two different things. Been checked on the FS roads for tabs and spark arrestor and good to go. Also been told not to drive on Rock creek road. Been told it's OK to drive up Barber springs. Rock creek and Barber springs is the same road from opposite sides.:confused:

Most of the road up from The Manastash side untill you get to the 1701 is private property. Therefore you can run almost anything you want. Also at about the top where you get on the 1701 is the boundry between the Cle Elum District/ Kititas county and Naches District/Yakima county.

What dates you going to be up there? A group of us will be up there in a few weeks and can show you around. In the past I have been ticketed for no ORV tabs on Mill Creek Road going up to the rocks. Since aquiring a set of ORV tabs I have not had a prob with law inforcement. I also drive an S&N buggy, as do most in my group.