• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Race Yota 4653

Propane is great for wheeling but not for racing long distances. Here are some of the reasons we are switching.
-Dragging 10 full propane tanks to the lakebed in California sucks.
-We couldn't bum fuel if we needed to.
-You can't just dump fuel in the tank during pit stops.
-All the guys in my crew are more familiar with the EFI system.

I assumed that was the case all around for switching from propane to EFI.

The Engine is in the truck and getting wired up. All of the fuel related stuff is mostly done. The transfer case reduction housing and adapter plate had cracks in them and needed to be replaced.
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch

Are you planning to race any of the other Ultra4 races this year?
Not this year, just KOH.

I got the tcases back together with Advanced Adapter parts. Put an o2 sensor on my exhaust, and replaced the expanded metal on my A pillar with nets. The engine is running on gasoline with EFI now.
fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

FYI, the with the AFM mounted like that, the flapper door can bounce closed at low RPM, they can be weirdly sensitive. On a stock EFI with the "circuit opening relay, it makes the fuel pump shut off.
I've found that they work best mounted flat like stock, or with the door swinging down.

I'm assuming your fuel pump wiring is not like OEM, and is on a separate circuit that is ON or OFF...

FYI, the with the AFM mounted like that, the flapper door can bounce closed at low RPM, they can be weirdly sensitive. On a stock EFI with the "circuit opening relay, it makes the fuel pump shut off.
I've found that they work best mounted flat like stock, or with the door swinging down.

I'm assuming your fuel pump wiring is not like OEM, and is on a separate circuit that is ON or OFF...

Thanks, I haven't had any issues so far but I will definitely look at rotating the AFM. The fuel pump is powered through the computer In the OEM configuration for simplicity.

Thanks, I haven't had any issues so far but I will definitely look at rotating the AFM. The fuel pump is powered through the computer In the OEM configuration for simplicity.
Are you using the OEM "circuit opening relay" ? (They were mounted inside the front pass door hinge area) It's essentially a dual contact safety relay that prevents the fuel pump from running unless the AFM is open or the starter is turning over. If the engine stalls, the fuel pump stops (normal for all OEM efi, Toyota just does it a weird way that bypasses the computer)

just one of those weird things I've seen cause no-start/hard starting problems on 3 different rigs.

Are you using the OEM "circuit opening relay" ? (They were mounted inside the front pass door hinge area) It's essentially a dual contact safety relay that prevents the fuel pump from running unless the AFM is open or the starter is turning over. If the engine stalls, the fuel pump stops (normal for all OEM efi, Toyota just does it a weird way that bypasses the computer)

just one of those weird things I've seen cause no-start/hard starting problems on 3 different rigs.

I am using a custom wiring harness from ORS that was built for the truck. I am in the process of rotating the AFM now, just to be safe.

I got the AFM remounted in the correct orientation.
50672675723_67b8335609_b.jpg

Passenger side
Red tape- winch power
White tape- winch ground
Yellow tape- AFM
Blue tape- fan/ horn
Green tape- starter power

Driver side
Red wire cover- alternator
Black wire cover - coil power
Black wire no marking- o2 sensor

Rear
Green tape- EFI power
Red wire cover- fuel pump
Red tape- winch power

Everything related to the EFI system and sensors was labeled by ORS when they made the harness.

Got it all buttoned up and ready for KOH 2021?
Yes sir. We did a pretty aggressive shake down a few weeks ago at Walker Valley OHV. I got the team coming over again this weekend to finish prepping the truck, divide up spare tires, tool boxes and equipment for the drive.
fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch

Latest posts