• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Raised Hi Lift Jack mounts - fits over Front Mounted Winch

bharris68

I've wanted to figure out how to mount my Hi Lift jack on the bumper of my Jeep for awhile, but everything that I found would not clear the Winch on the front, or had some other limitation.

I did recently find these folks: btbproducts who make a very clever 5" and 7" raised mount for your Hi Lift. Normally they would be found by FJ owners, but in this case, I can weld the raised lifts to my front bumper and they will clear my Warn 8000i on the front!

20-2118x.jpg

Hopefully, this will prove useful to a few of you!

As a general rule, I find that this is a lousy location. Too exposed to both the elements, environmental damage, and makes underhood access limited.

I can't remember how many bent hi-lifts I've seen mounted here from hitting trees. Plus if you drop the front end into a mud hole, there goes the jack, buried in the mud. Plus every rain drop, mud splatter gets into the jack mechanisms - rusting and clogging the works so that the jack won't work when you need it. It's just an inconvienent location if you ask me (which of course you didn't)

Mounting Hi-Lifts outside the vehicle will only lead to a broken/mangled/nonworking jack. They're dangerous enough as is without having the mechanisms jammed with dirt and crap... and it will hang up on something and get bent...

Just IMO :cool:

As a general rule, I find that this is a lousy location. Too exposed to both the elements, environmental damage, and makes underhood access limited.

I can't remember how many bent hi-lifts I've seen mounted here from hitting trees. Plus if you drop the front end into a mud hole, there goes the jack, buried in the mud. Plus every rain drop, mud splatter gets into the jack mechanisms - rusting and clogging the works so that the jack won't work when you need it. It's just an inconvienent location if you ask me (which of course you didn't)

I have seen them mounted on the hood and for a tj-yj-cj that's about the best place to put it in my book.putting on the front bumper is:rb: and a really bad idea.:fawkdancesmiley: unless you don't expect to use your high lift anytime soon..

add to that its another 50# on the front end. Put it on the back where the weight will help even the rig out.

I mounted mine on the bumper and now its bent bad idea to put it there trust me, put it on the inside of the rig somewhere

Good feedback - Yes, I do use the jack, so I'll think of a way to try to blend the two for the moment until I get a way to mount it on back or inside the Jeep such that I can also keep my Kids inside. I don't think that my wife would approve of me putting the kids on the hood to keep the jack dry...

I don't think that my wife would approve of me putting the kids on the hood to keep the jack dry...

Would she approve of you killing the kids cause the jack failed when they were near it while in use...? :stirpot:

Sorry, just messin with ya :haha::redneck:

Take it apart. The foot is held on with a cotter pin. Toss the pin, pull off the foot and climber, and store them inside the rig where they will stay dry and clean.

The "rod" or whatever is a lot easier to mount once the climber is out of the picture. I keep ours bolted to the left side slider. Haven't put a scratch on it yet, since the sliders stick out just far enough to protect it.

It'll take an extra 30 seconds to pop the climber and foot back on when you need it.

Just don't lose the handle like I seem to have done :rolleyes:

I've been on a vehicle recovery where the hi-lift was cleverly mounted inside the rig. One of the mounts broke and the hi-lift twirled like a helicopter. It about beat the passenger to death. I would not mount one inside the vehicle. Find a spot on the rear. Combine it with a tire carrier. Service it and keep the proper areas lubed. Also carry a repair kit ($9.95).

I wouldn't have mine inside.........cause there aint no roomfor it but........but if you do make sure you hard mount it.....cause that thing can can **** you up if you roll.....and they are not that much money anyway...if they get screwed up......geez.....I think I'm on my third one...wtf........oh well.:kiss:

all this grumbling and bickering, we should have a photo thread about where everyone actually mounts theres - real pics of real hi-lifts, mounted.