• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

RBD VIDEOS

Don't get me wrong I watched the buggy on a couple of hills and was very impressed with it! Pleanty of motor and strong parts low cog and pleanty of shocks! Hope to see it in a race this coming season! :dblthumb:

So spring rates and suspension geometry (creates bad roll center)? Changing spring rates/lengths will probably provide the most results. I still think valving can contribute to it, probably not the sole factor if everything else is set up right, but can contribute. And playing with valving to resist unloading and accommodate for bad roll center may be similar to trying to fix it with a sway bar - a band aid, not a solution to the initial problem.

It don't matter, hell I was just curious about the suspension setup. I fought bad body roll for a long time before I got it to where it was manageable, so I'm always curious about others' setups when they have bad body roll.

Sorry for the threadjack! Carry on!

TacomaJD said:
So spring rates and suspension geometry (creates bad roll center)? Changing spring rates/lengths will probably provide the most results. I still think valving can contribute to it, probably not the sole factor if everything else is set up right, but can contribute. And playing with valving to resist unloading and accommodate for bad roll center may be similar to trying to fix it with a sway bar - a band aid, not a solution to the initial problem.

It don't matter, hell I was just curious about the suspension setup. I fought bad body roll for a long time before I got it to where it was manageable, so I'm always curious about others' setups when they have bad body roll.

Sorry for the threadjack! Carry on!
Look at ultra 4 cars, most all have a sway bar front and rear to help them be a bit more stable. Just because it has a sway bar doesn't mean it's a band aid.

Re: Re: RBD VIDEOS

ADAMCARTER315 said:
Look at ultra 4 cars, most all have a sway bar front and rear to help them be a bit more stable. Just because it has a sway bar doesn't mean it's a band aid.
Very true! It's tough to find that point of having a super stable rig without having an overly stiff suspension that doesn't work as well.

Elliott said:
But the ultra 4 stuff is using them because the suspensions are set so soft.
So how do you set up a trail rig ? Make it real stiff so it rides like ass all day ?

No but I would have it stiffer than a desert car. I'm not a fan of the softer feel myself but that's why they make different size springs so everyone has their own choice for feel

Re: Re: RBD VIDEOS

Elliott said:
But the ultra 4 stuff is using them because the suspensions are set so soft.
Not necessarily. As building anything from race cars to passenger cars there will be compromises. When I tuned with Wayne in may, after doing a couple years of research on my own. I did not have a sway bar at the time and asked him what he thought; his reply was that it is just another tool to get closer to the 100% mark of suspension tuning. In racing, the courses are dramatically different from one to the next, much the same in trail riding as well. Your tune at one track may not work for the next. KOH tune won't work for short course. We all keep spare parts and tools right? Why not design for a sway bar and have that much more ability to fine tune, be it band aid for geometry or not...dollars aside any way.

I went the way of soft springs, and love it. My primary rates are 64 front and 59 rear, on a 4300 lb rig. After tuning without sway bar, I had some slight body roll under throttle, nothing unnerving. Had we more time on tune day Wayne was confident we could tune it out even further. But I did finally install a sway bar, and I adjust it differently for different parks. ...there again it's a tool.

In hindsight, I have no regrets going to coilovers, and using the lightest spring possible theory. Heads above my ori's, but you got to go all the way. Can't just bolt them on and expect to win. must invest the time to get them right.

matt