• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

RCI Fuel Cell double welded

70Scout

I have a RCI fuel cell that cracked on a seam this weekend. I talked to Wayne at RCI and they will double weld it for me.
I was wondering if anyone had any luck with one that had been double welded.

I can also buy one of the rock crawler fuel cell at a discount rate.
Not sure how long the high strength polyethylene bladders will last.

I am looking for opinions on what you would go with.

Thanks

no experience in either however from all the threads lately about fuel cells and other build threads id rather go with a bladder as i had to get them to fix it ... imo like i said i have no experience in either i run on pane :****:

For the steel can/bladder style, all you have to do is notch the flange for a bracket to go over it

My RCI tank cracked last year and I had the guys at work weld it back up and I haven't had any issues since. That being said, had I known RCI made a tank with a bladder and would give me a discount on it, I would've swapped tanks instead. Now I'm changing the tank up to run an internal fuel pump and adding a baffle to slow down the fuel movement. Also adding a Artec mounting bracket so hopefully I won't have any more issues. My vote is take the discount and switch to the tank with the bladder.

I had one crack, bought a new one and installed some alltech baffles. I found out after the fact that RCI would warranty it, so I called and they sent me a new dbl welded tank for free, but I haven't had time to swap them out, but I do take it with me on long trips just in case the current one splits. my .02 is I'd rather have a bladder and not worry, but I'm kinda committed right now.......

My RCI cracked last year and I had a local machine shop cut the top out of the rci and reverse engineer the rci out of 1/4 aluminum adding a bladder in the middle. Problem solved.

Several of my buddies just had there rci rewelded and had a piece of aluminum angle iron also welded down the corners to strengthen them.

Re:

Just cause I r not smart...WTF is double welded?
I ran rci cells in various rigs, had one split a seam...but it was probably from my gentle wheeling methods.
I always rigidly mount with rubber isolated bottom...

Re:

Rokcrler said:
Just cause I r not smart...WTF is double welded?
I ran rci cells in various rigs, had one split a seam...but it was probably from my gentle wheeling methods.
I always rigidly mount with rubber isolated bottom...

They run a second weld on top of the first because they usually split down the first weld.