• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Really odd lacks power 22re

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
Ok first off rig specs.

My wifes 87 4 runner, 22re auto..

So now for the good part--and of course this has to be a VERY odd problem..

Its most prone when cold although I have gotten it to do it a couple times hot.

Its VERY prone after making a hard right turn (haven't been able to really notice it after a left) like turning from a side road to a highway.

When it acts up--it really lacks power and only lasts for about 5-8 seconds (a few times it kinda sputtered).

Those are the symptoms.

Today I went ahead and threw new plugs/cap/rotor and fuel filter since since those items were worn and it was over due for them..

I have drove around with a fuel pressure guage on it and when it did happen the guage stayed around 38 psi so that looks good.

I also disconnected the EGR to make sure its not coming on full bore and that didn't seem to make any difference...

Now I have more diagnostic's I will try tommorow at work but figured I would throw this out there since I didn't come across this type of problem on my searching and when found will hopefully make for some good info....

When was the last time you had the intake system cleaned out, like with a Moto-vac and chemicals?

When was the last time you had the intake system cleaned out, like with a Moto-vac and chemicals?

A couple years since I did it last--but thats not going to create an intermintent issue like this--that would be a consgtant issue..

It runs like a turd. Really sluggish. Acts like it's going to die and idles like hell. The check engine light was coming on and off..
From the other thread ... so I thought it might be something to do with the intake becoming gummed up ...

Maybe EJ will give ya a refund. :haha:

Could you have 38 psi of dirty bad water infused gas that gets in the pick-up on corners?

The sock on the bottom of the fuel pump usually does a good job of seperating the water (unless its all water) but you would be talking about a delay from the turn to when the engine would rujn poor. and from experiance with water in fuel it doesn't go right away..

I had a 90 corolla that did a similar thing. Would choke down and almost die when running down the highway. This would last about 30 seconds each time then would not do it again for a day or week.

I suspected water. Changed the fuel filter. No evidence of water in the old filter. Over the next week the car did the choking thing twice but after that never did it again. As of 30,000 miles later it has never again done it. WTF ??

I still suspect water was some where in the fuel system.

Watch out for crap fuel / Gasahol.

Its VERY prone after making a hard right turn (haven't been able to really notice it after a left) like turning from a side road to a highway.

How soon, immediately while turning or a few moments after? If immediately, it's probably electrical, if delayed it's DEFINITELY fuel pickup related. I know cause I ran out of gas momentarily in my truck once while doing ~60 around that I-90 to I-5 north ramp, it didn't sputter until AFTER I had cleared the turn. :redneck:

How soon, immediately while turning or a few moments after? If immediately, it's probably electrical, if delayed it's DEFINITELY fuel pickup related. I know cause I ran out of gas momentarily in my truck once while doing ~60 around that I-90 to I-5 north ramp, it didn't sputter until AFTER I had cleared the turn. :redneck:

I am pretty sure its not fuel feed--I ran it with my pressure guage and it never skipped a beat on the pressure.

I inspected the MAF this am and it all looks good...

A variety of ideas

Could be a power steering pump issue, bogging down the motor, either in the pump or in the box under turning situation. Should be able to test this on a hoist.

Could be a bad wire somewhere grounding out to the body/motor, etc, as the car corners, the wire swings into a short situation, then when inertia allows it to hang free again, the short is gone.

Could be a combination of the two above, where the steering box, steering rack, tie rod or something as it turns cause a wire to ground out.

Could be bad fuel, bad pickup, partially clogged filter, some other issue that is also inertia related as the body leans or as fuel is forced due to turning.

Dunno. But I'd put it up on a hoist, cold, and let it idle while turning the wheel and see if I could bench test stuff.

edit.. Maybe some vacume leak. Once had a car way down on power when cold due to a vacume leak. Maybe the vacume hose is chaffed or pulled during turns, creating a runability issue. When warmed up, problem is still there, but less noticable.

Last edited:
We had a problem like that a few months ago and it turned out to be the AFM.

tested ok manually but watching a scope with it running down the road it would drop off on corners.

Make sure though that the ground for the AFM is good first. They are famous for being weak at the solder joint.

We had a problem like that a few months ago and it turned out to be the AFM.

tested ok manually but watching a scope with it running down the road it would drop off on corners.

Make sure though that the ground for the AFM is good first. They are famous for being weak at the solder joint.

Will do gary--spanks :awesomework:

Pita = pain in the ass

AFM = Air flow meter

TPS = Throttle position sensor (which most Toys don't use, they use a throttle switch)

MAF = Mass Air Flow (Meter)

Jumping on the "check the AFM" bandwagon too... a buddy had a rig that did almost this exact thing (well, minus the sputtering after a corner), swapped the AFM out and all went away.