• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

rear steer caster settings

pholmann

It's getting close to time to build a rear steer 14 bolt for my buggy. I am gathering parts for it a little here and there. What caster setting do you run in the rear? Is the designation of positive and negative the same as the front? Positive caster leaned toward the rear of the vehicle and negative toward the front? I need to know where to set my inner c's. Any advice would be appreciated.

I must be retarded but I set the front and the rear to 0, Seems to make the tires stay flatter while turning. But I'm not into the go fast stuff either.

It'd be cool to build a set of flanges to bolt the Cs on so you could change it from extremely positive to extremely negative and really experience the difference.

129-1007-01%2bsuper-tough-dana-80-axle%2bcustom-diff.jpg

That actually would be stupid easy to do, very interesting idea. I'm not sure I would want Bobby Tanner beating on it but a trail rig would probably hold up fine.

In my mind, I would think if you put some caster in you would want it the same way as the front. Primary directory of travel is the same. Like, you know if you back up and let go of the wheel, it naturally wants to turn to the side. Id rather my wheels want to point forward unless I tell them to do otherwise.

pholmann said:
It's getting close to time to build a rear steer 14 bolt for my buggy. I am gathering parts for it a little here and there. What caster setting do you run in the rear? Is the designation of positive and negative the same as the front? Positive caster leaned toward the rear of the vehicle and negative toward the front? I need to know where to set my inner c's. Any advice would be appreciated.

Just give this buggy to the wife and you build yourself a new CHM!!!

Stickies, rear steer, big block LSX...
Next thing you know you'll be talking about some fancy powder coat w/ gold flake

Re: Re: rear steer caster settings

TBItoy said:
It'd be cool to build a set of flanges to bolt the Cs on so you could change it from extremely positive to extremely negative and really experience the difference.

129-1007-01%2bsuper-tough-dana-80-axle%2bcustom-diff.jpg
It would make life really easy if you had a flange on the inner Cs that bolted to the stock brake flange. Just slide it up on and bolt it in the right orientation.

The rear normally doesn't have an orbital on it, especially a load reactive orbital. The reason for caster, for the most part, is so that while driving over 10 mph or so the wheels aren't hunting for the ditch, they're trying to force you to go straight. On a rear you have a valve and a ram. It goes where you tell it. Its shouldn't matter when you are talking about +-10* of caster. Looking stupid is the only consideration. It is important in the front, but really important if you have a load reactive orbital and every go fast. I can't see it being important in the rear with no feedback, therefore who cares

If you set it at 0, during down travel it's going to become positive. That's why I was told to set it at 6 or 7 like the front.

Latest posts