• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Recommended Max Tire Size for stock WB TJ

Wildman1

What size tire is the max for a stock WB TJ? I am hearing 37" but then I ahve seen some people running 39.5" tires on a stock WB TJ. It would be about the same as running 35" on a 81"WB CJ?? Don't know I am asking???

Edumicate me plezzze!!

my wheelbase in my cj is stock 94" and i run 38.5's with zero problems. It actually feels more stable now then it did on 33's if that helps answer your question.

my wheelbase in my cj is stock 94" and i run 38.5's with zero problems. It actually feels more stable now then it did on 33's if that helps answer your question.

Thanks, it is nice to get an honest answer instead of all the BS. How much lift are you running? What axles and what width on the axles?

I think a more pertinent measurment would be how high your CG would end up compared to your WB. If you were cutting out sheet metal to fit larger tires with no net change to the lift, you could fit larger tires no prob.

Bishop's rig on 37s is fine for stability and I haven't heard any probs from Spenser's 38.5s. :awesomework:

I think a more pertinent measurment would be how high your CG would end up compared to your WB. If you were cutting out sheet metal to fit larger tires with no net change to the lift, you could fit larger tires no prob.

Bishop's rig on 37s is fine for stability and I haven't heard any probs from Spenser's 38.5s. :awesomework:

I just have to do it.

Spencers rig has no bearing in this comparo since he has a cj.:fawkdancesmiley: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks, it is nice to get an honest answer instead of all the BS. How much lift are you running? What axles and what width on the axles?

I know he runs a 44 in the front---can't remember whats in the rear and I am pretty sure he is close to 62" wms-wms

His sits nice and low too....

FWIW, here's blackcj7's stock WB rig on his 38.5s...

Sorry I don't have a better pic without my POS in it.

img3927id8.jpg

Fronts a 44 and its 63" WMS TO WMS rears a dana 60 and its 61" WMS to WMS overall front width is 81" rear is 80"... Very stable :awesomework:

Last edited:
I know he runs a 44 in the front---can't remember whats in the rear and I am pretty sure he is close to 62" wms-wms

His sits nice and low too....

Mike,
Thanks for that. So pretty much my Jeep too. Still bounching this around in my head as to what I want to do right now. I think I might be crazy but for what ever reason I have been toying with going to 39" tires. Should just stay with 35 or 36" tires but hey what the hell it could be fun.

Mike,
Thanks for that. So pretty much my Jeep too. Still bounching this around in my head as to what I want to do right now. I think I might be crazy but for what ever reason I have been toying with going to 39" tires. Should just stay with 35 or 36" tires but hey what the hell it could be fun.

Hell by the time you air the tires down to 4psi they'll be 36's anyway:awesomework:

Nuzzy what size tires you running? How much lift?

42" Iroks. Hard to say with the amount of lift though since none of my spring/shackle mounts are in stock locations. I'm on stock 7 leaf waggy fronts in the rear and heavy duty CJ springs in the front both SOA. I do know I'm currently lower than I was on 37s with 2 inch cj lift springs SOA before the wheelbase stretch and spring outboard.