• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Redneck Steering Box Mount!

CarnationSensation

Just though you guys might want a nice new way of attaching your steering box when you have no other options!!!

Was up at walker yeterday having a good day of weelin, and then POP!
I get out and see my steering box is just dangling next to my frame. AWESOME!
So i get in there to take a better look and the Top mount compleetly tore off, both bottom bolts ripped in half, and the housing for the very bottom bolt on the steering box tore apart.
Luckily i had a bolt that would fit through the only remaining hole i could use and i have a winch!!! :redneck:

Might be time for a steering box reinforcement plate :awesomework:

View attachment 50693

Drove it 9 miles out of the woods and then back home to Carnation. Worked perfectly!

Last edited:
Great way to get out....:awesomework:
I did move the thread, as yer not really asking for tech advice, probably belongs in Chatter, but...

:awesomework:I've helped a couple Toyotas get out of the woods with broken steering like that. The funnest time was on the Busy Wild. The guy had multiple issues, and a ripped off box. My buddy was pulling, and I was pushing the guy/steering his back end. The guy didn't care how much body damage I inflicted on the back of his rig. It was mangled by the end of the night. You Toyota guys are a lot of fun.
There were paint chips left behind.

Last edited:
You drove it home like that? Thats fawking sketch:rolleyes:

Yeah it scared me at first but i made it out of the woods with no problems once i did the fix so i figured if it could withstand all the potholes and rocks it should be good on pavement with air in the tires (a lot less stress)...I was lucky for sure! Took it slow down 9 for the first few miles but i couldnt feel any play at all even jerking the wheel back and forth it felt just as responsive as it normally would. I kept my winch controller hooked up and ran it into the cab and would tighten it up every few miles.
Needless to say i ordered the IFS box mounting kit last night, just got my shipped confirmation so i will be at Walker again this sunday :awesomework:

Here's the way to do it :)

gibby207.jpg

gibby208.jpg