• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

reiter work party feb 13th

We finished an hour early too,no trailer problems this time :haha:

It was a little challenging, There were times we were looking for something to do. I was just hauling chips, but finding a place for all the wood chips we moved was hard.

I do have a question, My wife brought this up. How do the woodchips we 'planted' help in the restoration? They don't seem to be a natural addition to the soil.

One load to May Creek crossing.

One load up the logging road to the hairpin.

One load up to Reiter Pond.

Um, there's a place called Reiter Pond? Learn something new every day.

On a side note, the wife and I were coming back from Alpine Lakes this evening, doing our standard drive around through Index and Reiter Road, when I noticed someone had been backing into the side of the road to do burnouts in the soft stuff. I stopped and backed up, mostly because these were prime spots for dumping. Looked over the edge and thankfully, I couldn't see any junk down the side. Found a couple other burnouts on the way out. Children....

Note to self, ALWAYS KEEP TRASH BAGS IN THE TRUCK. YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN, OR WHERE, YOU WILL FIND TRASH TO PICK UP.

Yeah, went out as far as we could to go for a hike today, and of course, someone had to dump some construction trash at the trail head. :looser: I would have picked it up, but it would have blown out of my truck onto HiWay 2 on the way home.

Another question: Is the lower parking area off limits?

I do have a question, My wife brought this up. How do the woodchips we 'planted' help in the restoration? They don't seem to be a natural addition to the soil.

I believe it is to help prevent eroison, just like when they add hay to recently dug up ditches/hillsides. Wood chips will last longer than hay though. It will also add nutrients to the soil to help the tree growth in the future.

Hi All:

If you mean the gravel pit off of Reiter Road, yes its technically off limits I believe. It was O.K. to be there on Saturday for the official DNR event.

Don't know if I met you there or not? I was the guy with two dogs in the brown Isuzu Trooper.

Regards,

Alan

<snip>

Another question: Is the lower parking area off limits?

I believe it is to help prevent eroison, just like when they add hay to recently dug up ditches/hillsides. Wood chips will last longer than hay though. It will also add nutrients to the soil to help the tree growth in the future.

The idea behind the shavings is 2 parts. First as you stated to aid in erosion and the second its a source of degrading vegitation to aid in replacing missing soil.

edit: :haha: Typed too slow.... What Crash said... edit:

Part of the chips is to control erosion and part is that it will mulch into soil nutrients and promote growth in that area. There was a non-motorized guy at the Restoration Field Day last weekend that kept telling DNR they needed to use straw instead and it HAD to be a special weed-free variety. It sounded expensive like buying Organic produce versus regular. Luckily DNR has already been using this chip materials elsewhere. Last thing we need is DNR to blow their budget on Organic Free-Range Straw. :haha:

David was a bit overwhelmed with all the people who showed up. I tried to help with what I could since there was discussion at the Field Day about what needed done. There were people blocking trails but didn't get the concept of how David wanted debris pulled into the entire trail surface. We need to Block the entrances to trails but we also need to get debris like branches and logs into the trail surface so it can naturally mulch and help growth on the packed down surfaces. It also keeps people from seeing a obvious trail on the otherside of the blocked entrances and wanting to use the blockades as obstacles.

I saw that Brown Trooper. We drove by each other a couple times...
I had the dirty, dirtier, black Dakota.

I didn't know that about the wood chips. The help with erosion? That's bad, right? :redneck: Erosion prevention?

I'll stay out of the parking area next time I drive by there... Unless I'm at a work party. I wanted to show my wife something while we were there. Next time, I'll bring her to chip in for labor. Oh that's punny...

Dave did have that 'deer in headlights' look after a bit. Doesn't he have a partner at the DNR to help with these events?

I saw that Brown Trooper. We drove by each other a couple times...
I had the dirty, dirtier, black Dakota.

I didn't know that about the wood chips. The help with erosion? That's bad, right? :redneck: Erosion prevention?

I'll stay out of the parking area next time I drive by there... Unless I'm at a work party. I wanted to show my wife something while we were there. Next time, I'll bring her to chip in for labor. Oh that's punny...

Dave did have that 'deer in headlights' look after a bit. Doesn't he have a partner at the DNR to help with these events?

You are perfectly fine to park outside the concrete blocks just not inside. David doesn't really have anyone to help him unlike Tahuya or Walker although it sounds like Walker may be losing people soon.

Maybe it would be wise to "elect" or "choose" (can't think of better semantics) a crew leader or two to meet with David before hand so we have a better direction. It might avoid some of the novice mistakes like planting the tree starts before dragging in downed logs. It might be more efficient at the very least.

Maybe it would be wise to "elect" or "choose" (can't think of better semantics) a crew leader or two to meet with David before hand so we have a better direction. It might avoid some of the novice mistakes like planting the tree starts before dragging in downed logs. It might be more efficient at the very least.

"TAG!" Yer it!

Dave had so many areas that needed or were scheduled for work, he really needed some assistance out there.

C'mon, DAve. What's your opinion on this?

Or at least a few sheets of paper about what is needed to happen. I know Rick and Mark last time ended up leading crews. Having a few people that know whats going on is a good thing.

What we needed was more than 8 people to show up to the Field Day as that is where alot of the what and how was talked about with DNR.

Remember Saturday (20th) is the Motorized Trail Field Day, Lets have a good showing so more people know about the building process.

I agree that David could use some help, but he needs people he can count on to show up, that know and understand what needs to be done, then delegate to them.

With all the other activities scheduled for that day, no one expected the great turn out of Volunteers that we had. I am sure David will be better prepared and with assistants next month.

What needs to be done is david needs a task sheet or agenda of what needs done. Somebody else needs to organize the folks. As said before its hard to calculate how many folks are going to show and delegate those folks. Large numbers are never easy to work with and be fully organized but its something that needs to be addressed.

My commitment to these work parties is high and the last one I managed worked out smashingly.:D

On the next party I will volunteer (as I did before) to manage the largest/most remote satellite group......to ensure things go smoothly, efficiently and on plan.

My commitment to these work parties is high and the last one I managed worked out smashingly.:D

On the next party I will volunteer (as I did before) to manage the largest/most remote satellite group......to ensure things go smoothly, efficiently and on plan.

I willl volunteer for this work group.

thanks to all who went to the work party and helped out.
I was not able to make it due to koh but I am back now and plan on getting more done out there, and organizing at least one work party a month,

as far as the fact of david needing help organizing and managing work parties it will get better, the work party before this one myself and mark lead the groups and it went very well, I am working with David to make lists and basicly plan out where we can put people and try to figure out who we can put as "leaders". it may be that i try to get a couple people out the day before the work party so i can show them what needs to be done and go over it before the work party.

thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Having task managers is always a good idea, make things run smoother and more gets done. I didn't make this one, see you at the next one, thanks to those that rolled!:awesomework:

Latest posts