• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ride Along...

boardbysled

Tree Nerd.
I'm talking about two kinds:

1: Has anyone invited Mr. Goldmark out for a day in the woods before? I'm talking serious, ride along with a club.

2:Has anyone ever done a ride along with a DNR LEO?

1: Has anyone invited Mr. Goldmark out for a day in the woods before? I'm talking serious, ride along with a club.

Not the same agency, but I have taken both the Cle Elum and Naches Ranger District Rangers out. Also have taken the Deputy Forest Supervisor for the Okonogan/Wenattchee Forest. They all had a good time and came away with a better understanding of OHV issues as seen by the user.

A number of years ago I arranged for a run on the Naches Trail for then Director of Public Lands Doug Sutherland. He drove his state motorpool jeep for the run.

I would reccomend someone offer to do the same for any public offical. Spending the day together in the confine of a small vehicle can open incredable oppurtunities.

Should be said "I am a Seasonal OHV Ranger with the FS". But my roots came from the wheeling community starting in the 70's.

Last edited:
Not sure how things will work out this season. But last season I worked a ride along program where I offered a ride along with an OHV Ranger. We ran the Trails of the Cle Elum Ranger District. The person on the ride along had a bit different opinion of how things are and seen by the FS Rangers. While at the same time we shared opinions of how things are with each other. Quite an education for me as well.

If I am able to do the program again I'll post up here to fill a seat.

Yes, The Timber Tamers did this With Ron Whitehall back in 06? I believe was the year. It was during the Reiter Cleanup.

We wanted to show him what we wheelers proposed as the solution to ORV users driving to Index Wall.

He was all for it to keep the kids and folks throwing things off the wall which the climbers now own.

1) Not Goldmark, but other politicians. We've gotten some of their aides out, but the response has been largely non-existant. We try once every year or two.

2) As for a ride along, we've patrolled side by side, and also backed each other up when the radio comes on.

In fact, I'm taking the day off today to begin an attempt to use my contact with some senators and house reps to get them out there and explain our plight with the budget. Hoping the fact that they know who I am (not personally, just from another project) might make them more agreeable to take the time. First, I need "ammo" though, my magazine is empty.

Peter Goldmark has walked every 4x4 trail on DNR land. I have asked Mark Mauren and the Elbe Recreation Manager if they want to go for a ride and they dont seem interested. Maybe if the weater was nice and it was during a large public event they might ride along. Honestly I dont think they feel safe.

Honestly I dont think they feel safe.

I would agree with this, they are probably worried that they may not come back at the end of the day.

Murkman you are lucky that you have a professional relationship with them and they are willing to go out on the tails with you. Hope to see you at Naches again this summer! Please keep up the good work.

Peter Goldmark has walked every 4x4 trail on DNR land. I have asked Mark Mauren and the Elbe Recreation Manager if they want to go for a ride and they dont seem interested. Maybe if the weater was nice and it was during a large public event they might ride along. Honestly I dont think they feel safe.

I rode with you once, and I didnt feel safe.:redneck:

We had a "ride along" happen at Elbe a few years back.

Then the official let us know that the Busywild was in need of change. She had no clue that wheeling involved rubbing trees and was not happy.

Now we have a ONE WAY busywild and a long bypass that will soon be the trail in the BW valley once the play holes at the bottom of the BW valley are a bigger concern. Thats when things started to get her attention more.

I dont think putting the wrong person in the woods is wise at all. Maybe a at a LEO level it would be OK cuz someone like Murkman is on a level close to users and understands things better.

But having an upper end office/management kinda person would not be wise. They would not feel comfortable (as stated about safety) and they would probably be introduced to damage they were not aware of and will see driving styles they did not know about and might not like either.

Holding their hand in the woods is not going to make them our friend any more.

Its about money, not friends.

I think its risky bizz.

Gibby? please comment, you have first hand with this.

I don't remember any officials being on any of those runs. Who was it and how long ago?

Thats where the sorta remember part comes in. It was the one where we ran cable and BYS in the snow. They were in the lot with their jackets on that had the flap that coved the DNR on their backs. I thought they were going to ride in someones rig but I dont recall seeing them on the trail.

Thats where the sorta remember part comes in. It was the one where we ran cable and BYS in the snow. They were in the lot with their jackets on that had the flap that coved the DNR on their backs. I thought they were going to ride in someones rig but I dont recall seeing them on the trail.

I don't recall any official invite--just recall a DNR employee coming along (sorta remember too)

Here is my take on it.

I can't see any of the higher ups not knowing what exactly is happening on there land. Maybe not so much on the illegal areas but I would be shocked if they didn't know know about every aspect of whats going on. I mean don't the lower level folks have to give status reports and such?

But the valid point to this thread is getting those "not in the know" an understanding of our sport/hobby and our needs. But I think allot of that has changed with the reiter plan and all the input they had recieved over the past year. But that can also mean they still don't fully understand it.