• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rimrock closers

WAYCRAZY

Hope your summer is going well.

This note is to let you know two recent happenings regarding the motorized trail systems on the Naches District:

1. The South Fork Tieton Watershed Restoration Temporary Closure Order is now signed. Staff will begin signing the closure area on the ground beginning Friday, July 16. This Order prohibits motorized travel on system roads and jeep trails within the closure area until project completion. The project will decommission approximately 1.0 mile of system road, relocate approximately 0.5 miles of system jeep trail, convert approximately 1.0 mile of system road to system jeep trail (and remove four barrier culverts on fish bearing streams), decommission approximately 0.3 miles of system jeep trail from Grey Creek trailhead, convert approximately 0.3 mile of user trail to system jeep trail, and construct approximately 0.1 mile of new system jeep trail. Plans are to have this project finished and the area reopened by the end of the season. The temporary restrictions have been made to protect public safety and resources during road decommissioning, culvert removal and trail conversion work. Please contact Gary Torretta at 509-653-1433 if you have questions.

The following four wheel drive trails and roads are affected: Four Wheel Driveway #642 (Butcher Knife), from Four Wheel Driveway #640 (Memorial Meadow) to Four Wheel Driveway #615 (Divide Ridge West), approximately 3.7 miles
Four Wheel Driveway #640, from FR 1050-583 to junction with Four Wheel Driveway #638 (Rocky Slide), approximately 2.7 miles
Four Wheel Driveway #621 (Blue Slide), from Grey Creek Campground to junction with Four Wheel Driveway # 636 (Donnicker Pass), approximately 3.7 miles
Non-system Four Wheel Driveway starting from the 1000-639 road, ford of Spruce Creek, to Four Wheel Driveway #621 (approximately 1.0 mile)
Forest Road 1050, southerly of the 1050-583 spur, and including all connecting spur roads (582, 583, and 589).

2. The Little Rattlesnake OHV Trail is open and ready for four wheel drive use. THANKS TO ALL THE VOLUNTEERS WHO MADE THIS HAPPEN!! There are vehicle size restrictions associated with this trail and the trail is open to one-way traffic only. These were put in place to retain the difficulty of the trail, which was very important to the four wheel drive community who worked with us throughout this project. For more information call Sue Ranger at 509-653-1446.

This Order limits the vehicle size that may operate on this trail to 1) 75 inches in width from outside of tire to outside of tire, and 2) vehicles with a wheelbase not to exceed 95 inches in length from center of axle to center of axle.
The Order also limits the direction of travel for four wheel drive vehicles from the end of the Little Rattlesnake Road 1501 UP to Bethel Ridge Road 1500.

Susan Ranger
Recreation Planner/Trails and Wilderness Manager
Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests
Naches Ranger District
(509) 653-1446
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/206...y-closed-1-pdf-july-14-2010-9-48-am-476k?da=y

Last edited:
Hi All:

95 inch wheelbase restriction on the Little Rattlesnake Trail?

That is crazy! It means "SWB" (Short Wheel Base) only.

I understand width restrictions, but 95 inches is a fairly short wheelbase.

My FJ40 Land Cruiser sits at a 100 inch wheelbase after suspension modifications, but the frame is not longer than stock.

What is the stock wheelbase of XJ Cherokees?

Isn't the wheelbase of most Toyota 4wd mini-trucks like 110 inches??

What do you guys/gals think about this trail restriction, by wheelbase length?

Regards,

Alan

a suzuki sidekick 4dr is 97.6"...
a wrangler 2dr rubicon is 95.4"...

about the only common wheeling rigs I know of that fit are:
Jeeps CJ/TJ/etc (but not newer rubis)
Samis
2dr trac/kicks

Last edited:

I think it's great, my Jeep will fit no problem.
If a bunch of outlaws decide to run it anyway and tear it up it will probably be closed again. This is a trail that has taken 10 years to re-open. :mad:

Hi All:

Its not the only SWB trail in the Naches district. There are several trails in the rimrock area that are labeled narrow, SWB too.

That wheelbase may have been nice in the '70's but "small" rigs today are a bit longer. Let small rigs run it. (jeeps, Toy's, zuks, ect.) Might as well have a 33" tire restriction too. A bell bottom and afro requirement migh also help. Bring on John Travolta.

Hi All:

My FJ40 Land Cruiser sits at a 100 inch wheelbase after suspension modifications, but the frame is not longer than stock.

What is the stock wheelbase of XJ Cherokees?

Isn't the wheelbase of most Toyota 4wd mini-trucks like 110 inches??

Regards,

Alan

Cherokees are 101.4 in wheelbase. A 2-door JK is 95.4 in so although its close even a new Wrangler would tecnically be too long. With a 95 inch restriction that pretty much limits it to old wranglers and suzukis. I think that a 95 inch wheelbase restriction is a bit too small.

Hey, there are trails that cater to full size, why not some for the old school, short/narrow crowd?

With a 95 inch restriction that pretty much limits it to old wranglers and suzukis. I think that a 95 inch wheelbase restriction is a bit too small.

And FJ40's, CJ's (5 and 7's), Defender 90's, Flatties, 3b's, and this is just off the top of my head....not just wranglers and zoooks...
And let's not forget the width restriction too....Literally every other trail within the Naches system up there is wide enough for just about anyone else....I have run the trail. There is almost no challenge as mentioned previously (some sidehill, but not rimrock style, and one climb that has been hardened...)IT IS TIGHT, which is where the challenge is (see my earlier post in this thread....)...will I run it again--maybe, but no sleep loss if I don't...:;

And FJ40's, CJ's (5 and 7's), Defender 90's, Flatties, 3b's, and this is just off the top of my head....not just wranglers and zoooks...
And let's not forget the width restriction too....Literally every other trail within the Naches system up there is wide enough for just about anyone else....I have run the trail. There is almost no challenge as mentioned previously (some sidehill, but not rimrock style, and one climb that has been hardened...)IT IS TIGHT, which is where the challenge is (see my earlier post in this thread....)...will I run it again--maybe, but no sleep loss if I don't...:;

That's my point. There are a lot of rigs that fall in that size range. Neither of my rigs will fit but I'll get over it.

Update on rimrock clouser from the Naches FS.

Jim, although we don't have a set date on when the project will be done and
the closure will be lifted, I think it is reasonable that the project
should be complete around September 3rd. Thanks for sending on this info
to your fellow trail riders. If you would like more specific info on the
project, please contact me.

Gary

Gary Torretta - Fisheries Biologist
Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest
Naches Ranger District
(509) 653-1433
email: [email protected]

cater is one thing, forbidden is another.

95" is a little extreme in my opinion.

I disagree. If we want hardcore trails that cater to very well built rigs, then there's nothing wrong with trails restricted to the smaller guys. If all trails were for all rigs, we might as well wheel I-5

I disagree. If we want hardcore trails that cater to very well built rigs, then there's nothing wrong with trails restricted to the smaller guys. If all trails were for all rigs, we might as well wheel I-5

:awesomework: In light of the reason this whole thread started....I say let them get their work done in the area of closure, then it'll open back up, and any issues as a result of the work done, WE (the users) can remedy/repair them...:D