• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rock crawl area @ Walker Valley

Pat

I heard rumors about a "skill building area" being built at Walker Valley.
Does anyone know the status of this? Or is it just a rumor?

I know that 6-7 years ago a bunch of us spent ALOT of time building/maintaining "easy" trails with the DNR with the payoff being a "hardcore" area with a stout gate keeper.

Guess what happened?

.........a whole bunch of ****ing nothing....can you say "bait and switch"?

It is not a rumor. It is in progress. I know the area has been scouted and the guilty parties involved are getting material to build the area.

It is a slow process that will take a while.

If you want information straight from those that manage the area e-mail Elyse with the DNR. [email protected]

It will be an area built by wheelers so whenever someone can spearhead getting the manpower together then it will happen.

Does this mean we (those who wheel there) have the power to determine the level of difficulty? This could make Walker Valley a much more attractive area to the 4wd users. It also sounds like a good opportunity to bring some "hardcore" back to Walker.:awesomework:

If there are groups volunteering time for this and looking for extra hands, I'm game (so long as its not an exercise in futility like Maulers experience!).

Hey pat, yes this is for real-and yes we have say in how the area will be built; I was there for the initial rundown of the area, and there is some pretty cool **** there, albeit the area is SMALL, like 2.5 acres,but there are already large rock formations that are game---several of us RRR's were there for the walkthru...there are some 'sensitive' areas, but overall it should be pretty cool...
Not tomorrow, but a week from tomorrow is the monthly DNR meeting in Sedro Wooley, and we (wheeling community) are encouraged to be there--theoretically this "skill-building area" is supposed to start anytime, according to Alyse... Myself and a few others will be there..

Oh, and as for extra hands, that's always welcome!!! We (RRR's) will be there helping out with the project.....Pretty sure the Tamers are in too, at least the last I heard.....

It also sounds like a good opportunity to bring some "hardcore" back to Walker.:awesomework:

Never happen...Walker was built/modified for the masses. It's hardcore if you take the FJ from the dealer showroom straight there and add 60psi to the tires :rolleyes:

Well then come give some input- you guys have done wonderful things at Reiter with the OM. Seems like a "skill building area" should necessitate use of a winch if not theres no skill to build, its already mastered. My jeeps not even that built and I haven't pulled out cable at Walker in years, no challenge left.:booo:

The "skill building area" is still under snow but work is scheduled to begin the end of this month. It is a small area, but we have the right to do "whatever" we want there, excluding the one small wetland area. There is also going to be a lookout/spectator area we are working on that needs a "safety fence" installed. DNR has hired an engineer to help design this area, he's a guy from Wenatchee I believe. Right now the area is re-prod, but if you look closely underneath all the fire weed there are BIG rounded off rocks and different terrain/chutes/etc. It's not going to be the OM, but that wouldn't do most people any good anyways.
The DNR user meeting is the second tuesday of the month in Sedro Wooley. come put in your two cents and let's see what we can come up with.

Yeah the OM is a little extreme for most (myself included), but a good example of how challenging something can be. I'm gonna try to attend that meeting but I have no experience with trail building or maintenance, just a drivers opinion. But I am willing to help out and I would like to see something built that is (slightly) beyond the capabilities of my rig and driving experience so there is something to push my limits. Hopefully others feel the same way. :awesomework:

I know that 6-7 years ago a bunch of us spent ALOT of time building/maintaining "easy" trails with the DNR with the payoff being a "hardcore" area with a stout gate keeper.

Guess what happened?

.........a whole bunch of ****ing nothing....can you say "bait and switch"?

Yep...I went to those work parties...it is where I first met quite a few of you. I was very, very disappointed that nothing occured from the hard work that many individuals put forth.

Hoping

The problem with the DNR is even with the good intentions of the folks in the field--there boss's still call the shots no matter how hard they work for us. Plus there is the other factor of once a grant is up--everything is on hold plus a new person can be brought in--again throwing stuff for a loop...

I hope you guys are able to pull this off...

DNR already secured the grant money to build this area, it's going to happen it's just been under feet of snow all winter. The way that they got this grant is by calling it "A SKILL BUILDING AREA" which is supposed to include easy-difficult obstacles, so that beginners have a chance to gain some skills. The problem is that you have to TRAIL to this area! So you better know what you're doing at least somewhat if you even want to get there. The Rainier Ridge Rams do A LOT of work at Walker Valley, it is the closest "OPEN" area to where we live. Kim and Elyse are very easy going, and we are sure that if there is something we want to see at this area, we respectfully will ask for it and most likely recieve it.

DNR already secured the grant money to build this area, it's going to happen it's just been under feet of snow all winter. The way that they got this grant is by calling it "A SKILL BUILDING AREA" which is supposed to include easy-difficult obstacles, so that beginners have a chance to gain some skills. The problem is that you have to TRAIL to this area! So you better know what you're doing at least somewhat if you even want to get there. The Rainier Ridge Rams do A LOT of work at Walker Valley, it is the closest "OPEN" area to where we live. Kim and Elyse are very easy going, and we are sure that if there is something we want to see at this area, we respectfully will ask for it and most likely recieve it.

My reference was over the last # of years with jeepmauler and a # of others (northern toys)

Kim and Elyse are very easy going, and we are sure that if there is something we want to see at this area, we respectfully will ask for it and most likely recieve it.

Well, it's not quite that easy, we'll have to work hard for stuff....obviously the ultimate goal is to work with DNR and the other higherups to be able to work on expanding Walker & to allow some more 'extreme' trails to be built:awesomework: , although that will be not for some time:booo: .... the 'skill building area' is a done deal though!!!:cheer: We'll take what we can get, and work for more!!!

Sounds to me like some of you guys are motivated to tackle this project. Just go for it. Jump in with both feet. Worst thing that could happen is the DNR may shut you down.
Good luck.:awesomework: