• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Roll Cages

AND you forgot, corey is my friend. Damn Im continually off topic here. hrew will be fine for your cage, have "those guys", do it they do great work at a reasonable price(I like pat too)

Sorry.....

So after putting together all the tech from this thread, all cages should be built of chromoly, Tig welded, and cost under a grand, and I forgot, corey is wheelinjp's friend:rolleyes:....... Alright got it.

Apparently I missed something

Sorry.....

So after putting together all the tech from this thread, all cages should be built of chromoly, Tig welded, and cost under a grand, and I forgot, corey is wheelinjp's friend:rolleyes:....... Alright got it.

Apparently I missed something

:;Well next time get it right the first time:eeek:damn:looser::rolleyes:

darius, can you post a detailed, firm quote? How about S&N, Pat, Crash, B.J., AMJ, there are other people on here that do this stuff. I threw out a price with details, where is everyone else?

TIG is better for welding in a vehicle with an internal rollcage, when the weld joints are tucked in close to the windshield glass, cloth seats, plastic and vinyl interior of a 4runner, there is a high chance of weld splatter from MIG welding to do damage. And yes, chromoly tubing would be best, but it cost @$10 per foot, out of the price range for most people.

:corn:

darius, can you post a detailed, firm quote? How about S&N, Pat, Crash, B.J., AMJ, there are other people on here that do this stuff. I threw out a price with details, where is everyone else?

TIG is better for welding in a vehicle with an internal rollcage, when the weld joints are tucked in close to the windshield glass, cloth seats, plastic and vinyl interior of a 4runner, there is a high chance of weld splatter from MIG welding to do damage. And yes, chromoly tubing would be best, but it cost @$10 per foot, out of the price range for most people.

The guys first post says he is looking for a cage cheaper than the $600 cage hementioned and the $200 (4-6 hours) to install it:awesomework:

He probaly isnt as concerned with his headliner as you are. You ever see an average 30 year old toyota interior? Most dont look like your 4runner Corey.:rolleyes:

You are correct about the low spatter of a TIG compared to a mig.:awesomework:

I just think you are in the wrong crowd with your work. You might want to get on an airplane or ferrari forum where people demand the kind of work you do. Not a wheeler with a tax refund to spend on tubework.

When given options between different levels of parts and fabwork most people will pick or claim to pick the best possible option available. When the disscussion about the price/budget comes into the plan, 90 percent of those "top notchers" will ask about cheaper alternatives on parts and labor.:rolleyes:

I am one of those cheaper alternatives.:D

I would probally not offer to take a job as such (interior cage 4runner), unless installing a kit the owner brought me. Its hard to put a cage in a 4runner thats not in the way. I build mostly wheelers and most toy guys want an EXO instead. He specified an interior cage so I would let him pick one he likes, taking the design and fit off of my shoulers.

The owner is looking for the cheapest route possible and might not mind doing what he can such as removing the seats, carpet, dash, headliner, etc before bringing it in. That helps a dirty fab guy out alot. I dont like even sitting in someones rig. Anything an owner can do to prep is a help.:awesomework:

It might be a wheeler and when asked about the inside he might reply, "Hell its gonna be full of dirt and drunk girls anyways"!:beer:

The guys first post says he is looking for a cage cheaper than the $600 cage hementioned and the $200 (4-6 hours) to install it:awesomework:

He probaly isnt as concerned with his headliner as you are. You ever see an average 30 year old toyota interior? Most dont look like your 4runner Corey.:rolleyes:

You are correct about the low spatter of a TIG compared to a mig.:awesomework:

I just think you are in the wrong crowd with your work. You might want to get on an airplane or ferrari forum where people demand the kind of work you do. Not a wheeler with a tax refund to spend on tubework.

When given options between different levels of parts and fabwork most people will pick or claim to pick the best possible option available. When the disscussion about the price/budget comes into the plan, 90 percent of those "top notchers" will ask about cheaper alternatives on parts and labor.:rolleyes:

I am one of those cheaper alternatives.:D

I would probally not offer to take a job as such (interior cage 4runner), unless installing a kit the owner brought me. Its hard to put a cage in a 4runner thats not in the way. I build mostly wheelers and most toy guys want an EXO instead. He specified an interior cage so I would let him pick one he likes, taking the design and fit off of my shoulers.

The owner is looking for the cheapest route possible and might not mind doing what he can such as removing the seats, carpet, dash, headliner, etc before bringing it in. That helps a dirty fab guy out alot. I dont like even sitting in someones rig. Anything an owner can do to prep is a help.:awesomework:

It might be a wheeler and when asked about the inside he might reply, "Hell its gonna be full of dirt and drunk girls anyways"!:beer:

Good point I think that it is more inportian that a cage is safe for what they are doing If some one has the skill to weld and knows the differance between the two metals
I think we need to start a thread on do's and don'ts of cage building. It really doesn't matter witch metal but more inportian that the cage is safe and built correctly.
NO ONE OF US WANTS TO READ THAT SOMEONE ROLLED THERE RIG AND DIED DO TO CAGE FAILURE

i recently did a cage on my rig,and researched the hell out of all this!!

big ? how often do you wheel,and how hard do you wheel,what kind of risks do you take? think of all this..

if you just want the extra protection to feel safe but doubt you will need it go with pre made cage. $600 aint bad.

hrew,chrom oly,dom. all will save your life... their is so much up down and sideways arguements for all of them!!!!
i went hrew. it will save my life, i dont seem to wheel where im in extreme danger yet!! i just knew i needed to be safe. i have hit my cage into stuff kinda hard,and it hasnt shown any signs of dimples yet.
but a good design is the key for any cage!!! no matter what material. i dont care if you charge an arm,and leg tig weld the hell out of schedule 40,or own a buggy shop if the design is poor kiss your ass goodbye!

james(doved85) tell jr an inside cage of hrew will be fine for him!! its not going to take dimpling hits. its either gonna save him from getting crushed,or not. it will save a lil $ for him also.. from what ive heard from my boss your bro needs a cage :redneck:! besides look at the guys he runs with. they arnt running dom cages. look at nicks if you ever see it no dom.

Why do people think its cool to use chrome moly for a cage? It will break rather than bend in a crash. :stirpot:

FWIW my cage is HREW. DOM was used in specific areas that take constant abuse from going over rocks. I've rolled it every which way many times and it's still as straight as it was the day it was made.......
Chromo...No real benefit to use it unless you get it heat treated after it's complete which no recreational four wheeler is going to do. Forget the chromo.

Leave the chromo to the dragsters that need the weight savings....

Say, does anyone "help" with cage work? I'd like to eventually build some sort of cage for my 'Runner (internal if possible), just don't have a bender....and I trust MY welds.....

It really depends on what the guy wants. He posted about the 4xinovations cage. I looked on their website and for that price it looks like just the front passenger part?http://4xinnovations.com/pages/cages/cages.htm or I am might be looking at the it wrong?

kurtinternalcage3.JPG

Without pricing tubing cost right now it would probably be around:

4, 20' sticks of 1 1/2" DOM, 1/4" plate, hardware = $300

Argon/gas, filler rod, degreaser, semi gloss black paint (gold is extra), chopsaw disc, consumables etc: $50

Labor: $30 per hour @ 15 hrs: $450

Including r&r seats/other interior/hardtop for finish welding, and masking off interior for paint.

Total = $800

I wouldn't do an interior Toy cage in 1.75 it takes up a lot of space that just isn't available. Plus, I would also want some additional bracing so the cage did something besides look good being there.

With just about any interior cage you are looking around $1k for a basic setup tied into the frame. Of course the price can always go up or down depending on what the person wants.

I really don't do it to make loads of money. I mostly do it to make it worth my time to go out in the garage and to help people get stuff done that they either don't have the means to get done or don't have the time to do it. I am not the best person out there doing it, but I feel confident that if you tumbled your junk down the hill you will be able to talk about it later. :awesomework:

The last place I would try and save money is on a cage and leave the cage building to the professionals.

Just my $.02

Marlin also sells a cage for somewhere around 400-500$ all you need to do is burn it together and install it. It used tube sleeves so it can be removable.

Leave the chromo to the dragsters that need the weight savings....

Say, does anyone "help" with cage work? I'd like to eventually build some sort of cage for my 'Runner (internal if possible), just don't have a bender....and I trust MY welds.....

let me know when you are ready josh. ive built many cages and can borrow a bender any time. :awesomework:

It really depends on what the guy wants. He posted about the 4xinovations cage. I looked on their website and for that price it looks like just the front passenger part?http://4xinnovations.com/pages/cages/cages.htm or I am might be looking at the it wrong?

kurtinternalcage3.JPG

Without pricing tubing cost right now it would probably be around:

4, 20' sticks of 1 1/2" DOM, 1/4" plate, hardware = $300

Argon/gas, filler rod, degreaser, semi gloss black paint (gold is extra), chopsaw disc, consumables etc: $50

Labor: $30 per hour @ 15 hrs: $450

Including r&r seats/other interior/hardtop for finish welding, and masking off interior for paint.

Total = $800

I wouldn't do an interior Toy cage in 1.75 it takes up a lot of space that just isn't available. Plus, I would also want some additional bracing so the cage did something besides look good being there.

With just about any interior cage you are looking around $1k for a basic setup tied into the frame. Of course the price can always go up or down depending on what the person wants.

I really don't do it to make loads of money. I mostly do it to make it worth my time to go out in the garage and to help people get stuff done that they either don't have the means to get done or don't have the time to do it. I am not the best person out there doing it, but I feel confident that if you tumbled your junk down the hill you will be able to talk about it later. :awesomework:

You can get one for just the passengers that ends behinde the rear passengers at an angle or for a hundred dollars more you can buy one that goes to the tail gate. i was looking at the one that goes at an angle behind the passengers so i can make a tire/hilift rack.

You can get one for just the passengers that ends behinde the rear passengers at an angle or for a hundred dollars more you can buy one that goes to the tail gate. i was looking at the one that goes at an angle behind the passengers so i can make a tire/hilift rack.

So this one:

kurtinternalcage1.JPG

If you like your windshield I would have one custom built that fits tight to the A piller and up close to the top edge of the windshield. I have one in my truck that kind of looks like the 4x4 innovations one and when you go over or hit a tree on the A piller the windshield is toast a good luck getting a new one in.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for.