• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rubicon Express SOA springs

JEEPFREEK1

ok.. so i've done some more research (read: web wheeling) into my options for my suspension "pick me up" project.

I think I've finally locked onto the option of the RE SOA springs.. from what I've read, they seem to work really well for an SOA setup.

I'm curious to know what other's opinions and experiences with them are. I'm also curious to know which packs should I run?

5 or 6 leafs? I know I still need to put in a traction bar in the rear and will be done at the same time as this swap..

Thanks

JEEPFREEK said:
ok.. so i've done some more research (read: web wheeling) into my options for my suspension "pick me up" project.

I think I've finally locked onto the option of the RE SOA springs.. from what I've read, they seem to work really well for an SOA setup.

I'm curious to know what other's opinions and experiences with them are. I'm also curious to know which packs should I run?

5 or 6 leafs? I know I still need to put in a traction bar in the rear and will be done at the same time as this swap..

Thanks

I have built a couple rigs for people using those springs and they work VERY well. Just don't like the inverted eyes---kinda create an easy hang up area at the shackle.

crash said:
I have built a couple rigs for people using those springs and they work VERY well. Just don't like the inverted eyes---kinda create an easy hang up area at the shackle.

Hmm.. well, with having SOA and shackle reversal, I'm finding that if I get hung up, it's not usually at the shackle anyway..

Is there another option that you might suggest for good SOA springs that perform just as good as the RE's?

I liked the RE's too because of the spring keepers they have on there.. (I know, small details and can make my own, but it's just nice that RE thought of those extra details).

JEEPFREEK said:
Hmm.. well, with having SOA and shackle reversal, I'm finding that if I get hung up, it's not usually at the shackle anyway..

Is there another option that you might suggest for good SOA springs that perform just as good as the RE's?

I liked the RE's too because of the spring keepers they have on there.. (I know, small details and can make my own, but it's just nice that RE thought of those extra details).

If I was to do another rig and the customer wanted good springs I would not hesitate to use them again--they are very good springs.

Dear JEEPFREEK:
I used a photo of the Rubicon Express goofy eyed leafpacks as the pattern for my "roll yer own" leafpacks and they are super smooth and ultra flexy. The only things that I did differently with my springs was that I the flattened center sections (like OME springs) tapered the leaf ends, both the thickness and width (like stock YJ springs) and used 2" tall spring keepers (the same as stock Toyota Hi-Lux springs). Other than that, they are exact copies of the Rubicon Express springs. Oh, I used different thickness leaves too.

And are you so sure that you will be needing a traction bar, my friend? A whole lot depends on the pinion angle of the rear diff as whether or not a traction bar is necessary. For exmple, I use a high pinioned D60 out back and there is no noticeable axle wrap. A low pinioned diff, such as a stock diff will get some axle wrapping at highr torques and the crappy Ford 9" will most DEFINITELY axle wrap as the pinion is set so low.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Lamar said:
Dear JEEPFREEK:
I used a photo of the Rubicon Express goofy eyed leafpacks as the pattern for my "roll yer own" leafpacks and they are super smooth and ultra flexy. The only things that I did differently with my springs was that I the flattened center sections (like OME springs) tapered the leaf ends, both the thickness and width (like stock YJ springs) and used 2" tall spring keepers (the same as stock Toyota Hi-Lux springs). Other than that, they are exact copies of the Rubicon Express springs. Oh, I used different thickness leaves too.

And are you so sure that you will be needing a traction bar, my friend? A whole lot depends on the pinion angle of the rear diff as whether or not a traction bar is necessary. For exmple, I use a high pinioned D60 out back and there is no noticeable axle wrap. A low pinioned diff, such as a stock diff will get some axle wrapping at highr torques and the crappy Ford 9" will most DEFINITELY axle wrap as the pinion is set so low.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Well, over time my ford 8.8 I have in my rear now has axle-wrapped the 6 leaf springs I have into the typical S-shape.. It took a long time to do, but nonetheless..

Also, I have noticed wheel hop whenever I'm getting into a high torque situation going up a steep hill or climbing over somehthing steep. So, yeah.. traction bar for sure.

I like the idea of longer keepers and I might modify the RE springs so I have that.. but I think the RE SOA springs are what I'm going to go with..

Now I just need to get the parts to fab up the traction bar.. plenty of ideas floating out there to get some "inspiration" from.

I have the RE springs on my CJ. They are way tougher than the waggy springs on the YJ. I use 5 front 6 rear. You will need a traction arm but... it's leafs springs. If you want to drive hard you have no choice. I will be building new traction arms for the cj next week. I'll take pics if you want.

I usually just throw my own packs together using stock yj and xj packs.

Several years ago I decided to try the RE SOA springs in the front of my rig. I really did not like the inverted eyes (got hung up crossing logs etc). after a year and a half one of the packs lost its arch.

I'm back to making my own now.

One other thing I noticed about the RE packs is that they were about 1" longer eye to eye. In my rig this was not good for my shackle angle.

Good luck.

Lincolnlock said:
I have the RE springs on my CJ. They are way tougher than the waggy springs on the YJ. I use 5 front 6 rear. You will need a traction arm but... it's leafs springs. If you want to drive hard you have no choice. I will be building new traction arms for the cj next week. I'll take pics if you want.

That would be great.. I got the concept down ok and the design for what I want.. the problem is I dont' have the specific tools such as a notcher, Drill & tap (for the heim end of the tube joint), or a decent chop saw to cut tube and such for the bar itself and for the x-member.

I do have a welder though.. lol

it's just that since I moved back to WA state, my fiancee' and I are saving up for a house. until then, I'm in an apt.. (not much in the way for a garage.. drives me NUTSS!!!).

I'll make do somehow.. I gotta get the parts first anyway before I worry about fabrication. I want to swap the springs and put in the traction bar at the same time. Possibly fab up something for the rear so I can angle in my rear shocks.

Thanks for all the info on the springs from everyone.. the added 1" is a selling point for me because it would put my shackle angle just where I want it. I'm not sure if the reverse eyes would make me crazy or not as I really don't find I hit there much anyway, so I may not have any problems getting hung up there.. But I can only assume that it's possible that it may happen at sometime.

I've been wondering what to do about my Comanche's rear springs since I did the SOA on it. Still have the stock springs and they are STIFF as a board unless the truck has something in the back. (which is why I usually drive around with a couple spare tires or other stuff in the back)

Latest posts