• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Runs like ass.

Paulie

Looking for man love
22re. Put a new headgasket on, new timing chain with guides, spark plugs and wires. go to fire it up after the timing was fixed yesturday and it still runs like ****. timing is dead on but it sounds like it struggles to stay running. it will start up and barely idle. sounds like its missing so im gonna swap out the plugs and see if thats it. when the timing was 2 teeth advance, would it be possible to throw a valve. anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be, im getting tired of dumping money into the thing.

22re engine codes

Last edited:
tossing up code 10, ignition switch, ecu, or starter signal. that can explain why i cant start it from inside anymore.

Well I have never made an error like this before but it sounds good.Only when I did it I mean my really good friend we cranked on it and there was so much unburned gas in the muffler and spark at the right time and boom there went that muffler.Yes check to see if you are 180 out.

valves are adjusted, timing is dead on, plugs are on right, swapped out plugs so its not that. injectors were hooked up in order. ill have to look at it in the morning to figure it out.

did you make sure all plugs are firing?
also i agree that the dist.could be 180 off. i have personaly done this when i was younger(not a 22re) the motor ran just not right. took me awhile decided something was wrong started tearing down and ealized dist 180 off dropped it in and the motor came to life.
and check vacum lines.

By the way, you asked about the valves. The 22RE is an interference motor, so it is possible they did hit the pistons when you had the timing chain wrong. Just FYI. Although, if the chain was wrong BEFORE you did the head gasket, then you shouldve seen evidence of them colliding when you had the head off.

I would however, check the dizzy too. I did a timing chain on one and took me about 4 times before I got the dizzy just right. First time was 180 off, then a tooth off the next few.

~T.J.

180 off on dis. I know this, becuase I just did that on my 85 toyota. I could not fig it out for the life of me. All look good and timeing look dead on. but was 180 out.

distributer is right on, just checked it and its pointing at #1 cylinder at TDC.

checked plugs and wires, both sets i have work fine. started to pull the ignition switch but have no way checking if it works. when i turn the key, you can hear the ECU click. guessing that works. also swapped ECUs, nothing changed. vacuum lines are where they need to be. was thinking about the injectors hooked up wrong, but when i put the harness back in they lined up to where they should go.

Time for pirate board.

distributer is right on, just checked it and its pointing at #1 cylinder at TDC.

Time for pirate board.
still can be off.... pull the dizzy out and put the rotor exactly 180 (half a turn)

come to think of it how would a 22r run when its 180 off should be firing through the intake if its is.

when i put a timing light on after i pulled the cap, the timing mark was at 5* on the crank pully. could it still be 180 off.