• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

sabotaged lug nuts?

nwgrand

I noticed an odd noise from my front end lately, it was getting worse so i narrowed it to the wheels, checked the lugs and they were loose. They were just over hand tight, and only the front 2 wheels all the lugs were about the same. Has this ever happened to anyone? Sabotage or not. I usually set my lugs around 90ft/lb. Never had a lug loosen up.

Not uncommon when running large tires. Should be retorqued after each trip for two or three trips. By then, they should be OK.

I've had the whole damn wheel fall off. You got lucky.

Over torque toyota wheels & you will warp the rotors when they get hot. I know:eeek:

grand cherokee, 33's. It's good to hear it happens, i would hope no one around here would do that. I just never had it happen and i've been runnin those tires for 2yrs.

I almost lost a wheel once. I know for a fact that they weren't undertourqued, but there is a good chance I overtorqued them. I had noticed a weird vibration for the couple miles before I got home, but nothing bad. Then when I turned to park at my apartment, the left front wheel almost folded over under the axle.

There was one lug nut holding it on, and that stud was worn 1/3 of the way through. 2 others were worn and were missing their nuts, and 3 studs were snapped cleanly off. I'm assuming that those ones were a litle too tight... :redneck:

I'd love to say that I leaned something that day and now I bust out the torque wrench every time, but I still just go by 'feel'.

I noticed an odd noise from my front end lately, it was getting worse so i narrowed it to the wheels, checked the lugs and they were loose. They were just over hand tight, and only the front 2 wheels all the lugs were about the same. Has this ever happened to anyone? Sabotage or not. I usually set my lugs around 90ft/lb. Never had a lug loosen up.
Grand Cherokees are supposed to get 100 Lb Ft torque.....

I've had it happen to me. I thought for sure someone ****ed with my rig one day when I drove it to work. But then I just had it happen to my tow rig too. Sabotage??? I dont know. When you find out let me know too, we'll hang th bastard. :awesomework:

Grand Cherokees are supposed to get 100 Lb Ft torque.....

that good to know, at least i was close! I think schwab's told me they torque everything to 95, or that may of been just for my f250 (better double check that) so i figured a little less for the jeep.

Never had one loosen in my 44 years.......until a week ago. Was rotating tires on the Heep (35") and found a couple that were still seated but very loose.

X2 on big tires.

Most of the time, if somebody is messing with your lugnuts it will be a random wheel, one side or all 4. If lugnuts are gonna come loose on their own, it will be the front 2. Why, the torque flex in the tire/wheel while turning. This is probably the case.

I always periodically check the lugnuts on all my rigs, no matter who worked on my rigs. I have Les Schwab hand tighten them by hand, not a gun. And I watch them do it. They have a huge tendency to over torque with the gun.

When I worked there, I never had any issues of wheels coming off of rigs I worked on. It's all about getting a even torque on the wheels. And go over them twice to double check them. Especially, with aftermarket steel wheels! Sometimes the smaller bolt patterns won't hold the tq well either, with large tires.

Latest posts